Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

janfebmar wrote: »
    We intercepted 2 of their Northern Irish fishing boats in Februry off the Louth coast and brought them in to an Irish port. How did thay finish up, were the owners of the boats fined or let off or what?

No fine as far as I know and the government promised it wouldn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think for once, the Irish navy would have the upper hand

The only navy they come close to having is booze cruises from Norway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Are they not British?

Only when it suits them

At all other times they are Rob Roy, William Wallace or Mary Queen of Scots
    Take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Only when it suits them

At all other times they are Rob Roy, William Wallace or Mary Queen of Scots
    Take your pick

Don't forget the Krankies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

blinding wrote: »
    I hope Fin McCool can be located because if Photo Shoot Leo is all we got , we will soon be eating Haggis and drinking Iron Bru .

I like how this was posted, and got no thanks or replies, so the poster said the same thing again about 4 posts later:
    Would a Leo Photo Shoot on Rockall fix this problem ! Leo's fix for everything .

Anything to be said for another Leo Photo Shoot .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It supported people for months. It supports wildlife. What more do you want it to support?

The first people on it, and afaik, the only people on it, were all British.
    It's closer to Scotland than any other country. So I would guess the British will argue it is not in international waters, it is in British waters.

By that logic the moon can also support life since people were "supported" there within the lunar lander for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I like how this was posted, and got no thanks or replies, so the poster said the same thing again about 4 posts later:

Username checks out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

By that logic the moon can also support life since people were "supported" there within the lunar lander for a few days.

The Internation Space Station is a better example

Supporting life for many years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Might be an opportunity to turn the Rockall plateau disputed by four countries into a much needed marine reserve and thus benefit all.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/fact-sheets/2018/10/the-push-to-safeguard-30-percent-of-the-ocean

And what of the fishermen and their communities who rely on this place for their livelihood, Fishermen have been siht on enough. Or maybe if they give up fishing there the Eu could subsidise them every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

lol. You are never pro Irish and always pro British. You clearly are also however, like a lot of the self hating Irish, reluctant to leave.

Isn't that a term coined by the Zionist Hasbara to describe and shut up Jews who disagree with Israeli policies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

And what of the fishermen and their communities who rely on this place for their livelihood, Fishermen have been siht on enough. Or maybe if they give up fishing there the Eu could subsidise them every year.

Like the farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If Varadkar doesn’t authorise submarine strikes on all Scottish sea vessels I’m never voting for Fine Gael again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

We intercepted 2 of their Northern Irish fishing boats in Februry off the Louth coast and brought them in to an Irish port. How did thay finish up, were the owners of the boats fined or let off or what?

You keep saying that but don't seem to grasp that they are totally different cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Reati

FTA69 wrote: »
    If Varadkar doesn’t authorise submarine strikes on all Scottish sea vessels I’m never voting for Fine Gael again.

That's not how a ex Fine Gael voter works. You meant to say you will not vote number 1 but you will still give them a 2 and 3 just in case. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Given that Scotland houses no fewer than 7 nuclear submarines , 20 odd minesweepers plus an entire battalion of the royal marines I
    would imagine if this gets out of Simon Coveneys hands we're going to lose this one.

Tbh it sounds like fake news cause Scotland are still under EU directions re fishing rights. So someone is on the spoof somewhere.

Probably some leftwing culchie who is sick of quotas and doesn't like the smell of fresh haddock. Bastard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sorry I forgot to mention that it is all Fine Gaels' fault anyway. Its cause they are all too posh and don't care enough about the muckers. Especially the ones in Cork and Donegal.

Irish fisherman named Adrian McClenaghan, captain of the MFV Northern Celt, who is fishing in the Rockall area at the moment being interviewed by RTÉ on Morning Ireland. Apparently the Scots are getting brave and boarding Irish ships. Adrian is saying if the "Scottish Navy" order him out he will refuse to leave.

The Scots have to be taking the piss. Just how many real nations in history have refused to assert their right to the freedom of their own nation? And now they've suddenly found the courage to assert their alleged rights over a place far away? Major league pisstakers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Scotland aren’t even a country anyway. It would be like Cork County council trying to stop Waterford fishing vessels fishing in the Irish Sea.

• Irish fisherman named Adrian McClenaghan, captain of the MFV Northern Celt, who is fishing in the Rockall area at the moment being interviewed by RTÉ on Morning Ireland. Apparently the Scots are getting brave and boarding Irish ships. Adrian is saying if the "Scottish Navy" order him out he will refuse to leave.

I was also listening. Apparently some Irish ships have left. But he also said he was assured of help from the Irish government, including financial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mise Adrian McClenaghan. The Irish Spartacus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Given that Scotland houses no fewer than 7 nuclear submarines , 20 odd minesweepers plus an entire battalion of the royal marines I
    would imagine if this gets out of Simon Coveneys hands we're going to lose this one.

Tbh it sounds like fake news cause Scotland are still under EU directions re fishing rights. So someone is on the spoof somewhere.

Probably some leftwing culchie who is sick of quotas and doesn't like the smell of fresh haddock. Bastard.

None of which scotland have any control over. They have some unarmed fisheries vessels, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Scotland aren’t even a country anyway. It would be like Cork County council trying to stop Waterford fishing vessels fishing in the Irish Sea.

With the backing of the UK no doubt.

Ireland a tiddlywink nation with the backing of whom? The EU? Do they give a shît about a spat over some shít splattered god forsaken rock and the area around it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ireland a tiddlywink nation with the backing of whom? The EU? Do they give a shît about a spat over some shít splattered god forsaken rock and the area around it?
    If the brits do leave the Eu . The Republic of Ireland will be of no interest to the Eu .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

To be fair nobody cares for the rock itself, shît-spattered or otherwise. A claim on the rock though claims the waters. The area around will certainly prick up ears in Brussels. Fish is just one resource. Whether that giving a shît extends to hard help I don't know. Past record in the crash was not great. They did us.

If the brits do leave the Eu . The Republic of Ireland will be of no interest to the Eu .

Surely it would be of even more interest? Leaving aside any strategic defensive aspect to Ireland's location, here's a very, very interesting research report from Foras na Mara/the Marine Institute from a mere three days ago, 7 June 2019, about just how large Ireland's sea area is (I wonder is the timing of the current debate linked?):
    Few people realise that when our seabed territory is taken into account, Ireland is one of the largest countries in Europe. The Real Map of Ireland clearly depicts the full extent of Ireland's marine territory of over 220 million acres (880,000Km2), which is ten times the size of the island of Ireland. The red line on the 'real' map depicts the limit of Ireland's territorial waters and Exclusive Economic Zone, which extend out across the North Atlantic Ocean and include parts of the Irish and Celtic Seas.

Under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), the continental shelf of a coastal state comprises the seabed and subsoil of submarine area that extends to 200 nautical miles from its territorial sea baselines, or further if the natural prolongation of its land mass is beyond this. A coastal state exercises sovereign rights over its continental shelf for the purpose of exploring it and exploiting its natural resources. Where a margin extends beyond 200 nautical miles, a coastal state may extend its continental shelf limit, subject to the criteria set out in Article 76 of UNCLOS...

It's worth reading the full summary here:

Marine Institute: 'The map of Ireland is bigger than you think' (7 June 2019)

Surely it would be of even more interest? Leaving aside any strategic defensive aspect to Ireland's location, here's a very, very interesting research report from Foras na Mara/the Marine Institute from a mere three days ago, 7 June 2019, about just how large Ireland's sea area is (I wonder is the timing of the current debate linked?):

It's worth reading the full summary here:

Marine Institute: 'The map of Ireland is bigger than you think' (7 June 2019)

rockall is more than 200 nautical miles from Ireland. It is closer to scotland and within 200 nautical miles of their coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

rockall is more than 200 nautical miles from Ireland. It is closer to scotland and within 200 nautical miles of their coast.

The Malvinas are 12,000 km from the UK - 1500 km from Argentina.

Not wishing to divert the thread but is distance the issue?

The Malvinas are 12,000 km from the UK - 1500 km from Argentina.

Not wishing to divert the thread but is distance the issue?

It is relevant to what Dax Sweet Newsman posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

topper75 wrote: »
    Mise Adrian McClenaghan. The Irish Spartacus!

#me too Adrian.

• Advertisement

It is relevant to what Dax Sweet Newsman posted.

Not really; I was specifically pointing out Ireland's extensive sea territory in response to the suggestion that the EU would have no interest in Ireland after Brexit.

Advertisement