Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

drydub wrote: »
    Not an easy one to write but my mother is undergoing a detox in hospital at the moment. Years of abuse and it is scary. The nurses are throwing all they can at it but the drugs aren't claiming her. Very distressing.

If she is being taken care of by medical professionals, you can take a step back - even just for a few hours. Get out of there and do something to look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    If she is being taken care of by medical professionals, you can take a step back - even just for a few hours. Get out of there and do something to look after yourself.

She is in hospital being looked after by overworked great nurses. So thankful for them. I sat there for 9 hours when it was relatively easy but I've had to step away as it's gotten so hard to watch. Eye opening. So worried for her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

She is in hospital being looked after by overworked great nurses. So thankful for them. I sat there for 9 hours when it was relatively easy but I've had to step away as it's gotten so hard to watch. Eye opening. So worried for her

Went through it with my brother recently - it's rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not an easy one to write but my mother is undergoing a detox in hospital at the moment. Years of abuse and it is scary. The nurses are throwing all they can at it but the drugs aren't claiming her. Very distressing.

Hope she comes through it. It is not a pleasant experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

Had a great few weeks when I stared AA. Stopped the meetings and 1 drink brought me to a lower place than ever before. Relationship gone, this is the second long term girl I’ve lost through alcohol. Back in AA and 1 week sober Wednesday. Here’s to keeping it going this time. Hope everyone on here is doing good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Try not to beat yourself up but that is easier said than done. I read your last post in March. You are breaking the habit of a lifetime at best or dealing with a serious addiction at worst. I think it's near impossible to just stop drinking and then live a blissful existence for the rest of your life.

I think it's far more natural to take 2 steps forward and one step back. This is my 4th serious attempt at sobriety, along with dozens of "never drinking agains" that lasted hours, days, maybe up to 1 month.

Persistence is key, keep doing what worked for you in the past, keep avoiding what didn't work or triggered you in the past and maybe try new things to help this time around.

From your previous posts you have some decent stints at sobriety, 3 months is a lot. All my circle of friends would struggle to do that, I think a lot of people are the same. So you know you can do it and that experience will stand to you.

tinpib wrote: »
    Try not to beat yourself up but that is easier said than done. I read your last post in March. You are breaking the habit of a lifetime at best or dealing with a serious addiction at worst. I think it's near impossible to just stop drinking and then live a blissful existence for the rest of your life.

I think it's far more natural to take 2 steps forward and one step back. This is my 4th serious attempt at sobriety, along with dozens of "never drinking agains" that lasted hours, days, maybe up to 1 month.

Persistence is key, keep doing what worked for you in the past, keep avoiding what didn't work or triggered you in the past and maybe try new things to help this time around.

From your previous posts you have some decent stints at sobriety, 3 months is a lot. All my circle of friends would struggle to do that, I think a lot of people are the same. So you know you can do it and that experience will stand to you.

Thanks for the advice, everyone in AA was very supportive and I even went to a meeting more local to me. It’s 1 week tomorrow actually since I drank and I’m still not fully over it. Anxiety and depression are persistent at this stage with the breakup, financial difficulties from spending full wage on alcohol, but I’m on the road again. I was always guilty of looking at 1 year down the line but this has to be taken day by day, the 1 year will come! I’ve not told my family but I have confided in a good friend about everything and it’s great to have an outlet to vent if needs be, even though I won’t annoy him too much. Going to try and regain contact with my gf at the end of this week so I can at least apologize even though I know I’ve ruined my last chance.

Finding it though today with all the shame, guilt, regrets but I’m working tonight so no drinking. 1 week since my last drink. Everything’s hardest at the beginning but get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Hunter101 wrote: »
    Finding it though today with all the shame, guilt, regrets but I’m working tonight so no drinking. 1 week since my last drink. Everything’s hardest at the beginning but get easier.

Well done! 1 week is a serious milestone. Just remember as the above poster mentioned, it's not gonna be all roses and cottoncandy instantly. Take it a day at a time and focus on what's working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'm always reluctant about saying too much on a social media post because there is always someone out there waiting to be shocked/offended/angry etc but for what it's worth. I realised after coming out of my first AA meeting that I was an alcoholic. I didn't give two f***s about being labelled an alcoholic or the supposed stigma attached. I was and am bloody glad that I wasn't after coming out of a meeting with a consultant and been told I had 6 months to live. I wasn't after coming out of a cemetery after visiting a son or daughters grave or perhaps the grave of someone I had killed while driving drunk-as I had done many's the time. Sure getting and staying drink free( forget about all this sober in mind etc,) is not easy but I'm certain the person who has recently been told they are terminally ill would gladly swap. We have to get real and face up to things and that means stop drinking because it f***s up our lives.

• Advertisement

This thread is the best thread ever

Was recently off the booze for 6 months, fell into the trap i could control it. 2 months back on it and i've noticed the weight going back on and my head all over the place.

Kicking it to the curb now again, i normally only feel free of it after about a month and then need to remind myself of all the negatives and no positives.

I am back to the heineken zeros and i know people say you shouldnt, but last time i started of a heineken zero 6 pack a week which eventually reduced to none after 2 months or maybe a 6 pack for a whole month.

Eye opener was the pub last sunday with the amount of kids in the pub while the parents got drunk, something again snapped in the mind to say this is wrong and i want no part of it.

After watching my mam going through the worst throws of detox anyone should see has just made my resolve to stay off the booze. A couple weeks down the line, the detox has unveiled all kinds of mental , neuro problems that were being masked by the addiction. It’s unbearable to witness and the long term effects now is on a wait and see basis, which is frightening. It’s going to be a long uncomfortable road ahead. : (

Coming up on 15 months sober and I would not have even thought about it only for I met a colleague for a coffee just now and he asked me am I still off the booze and I would have normally had a few pints with him down through the years, that was our thing. But he said fair fecks to ya, the right way to do it. Every corner I take makes me grateful for making the first step back in February 2018. Keep on trucking everyone, you are stronger than you think.

Coming up to 1 year on Friday. It's probably going to be my greatest ever achievement. Reading the stories and compassion and advice here has certainly been a tool to help.

I've broke through the initial 2 weeks, day 18 now, its normally the 3rd week I get the jitters and thinking it wasnt as bad as I thought. Well champions league on tonight and 2 Heineken zeros in the fridge, then off to do a 10 km in the morning.

It's always the first 2 weeks are the hardest to get over for me. What's other peoples thought?

I know it took about 3 months previously where I stopped thinking about it and adding the days

This book and Allen Carr helps to put things in perspective

Great job in making it past your hardest milestone!

I would usually make it through a month fairly easily. Then think to myself, 'look I haven't drank in ages, I clearly don't have a problem'. Then back in to it I'd go. Not recognising how much damage I was causing to my health and relationships.

With the introduction of Heineken 00. I felt much better knowing I could still have a cold one and enjoy the taste without the horrible side effects. I used to drink the erdinger non alco but that tasted like beans.

I might have maybe one or two of those s month max though.

Main thing for me now any time the thought of going back pops up is to think about how crap I feel hungover. How I'm not myself drunk and how frightening it would be for me to hand my body and mind over to that alter ego I don't trust.

tusk wrote: »
    Great job in making it past your hardest milestone!

I would usually make it through a month fairly easily. Then think to myself, 'look I haven't drank in ages, I clearly don't have a problem'. Then back in to it I'd go. Not recognising how much damage I was causing to my health and relationships.

With the introduction of Heineken 00. I felt much better knowing I could still have a cold one and enjoy the taste without the horrible side effects. I used to drink the erdinger non alco but that tasted like beans.

I might have maybe one or two of those s month max though.

Main thing for me now any time the thought of going back pops up is to think about how crap I feel hungover. How I'm not myself drunk and how frightening it would be for me to hand my body and mind over to that alter ego I don't trust.

Yeah it's getting back to the drunken episodes in my mind I find hardest over time, like rose tinted glasses saying it wasnt really that bad. Got to 6 months plus a few times but decided I could have the 2 or 3 pints but it never worked. Just need to keep this in mind this time. Want to focus more on myself and running now. I am interested in dr sarno though, annie grace really sings his praises. That's next on the list.

Heineken zeros are great for people trying to get off the booze, I found when I wanted to head for a pont I'd crack open a Heineken zero and it took the edge off. The placebo effect does work for me anyway, then after 1 I realise I am just tired and bored

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Day 18, I've been having a drink or two intermittently since Christmas. While I haven't had any massive sessions in that time, or hangovers, or depressive symptoms, it's become normalised again. This is dangerous for me: I know from experience that it's only a matter of time before I have a massive blow out, so I'm back to abstinence. I know in every fibre of my being that this is the only thing that'll work for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

scriba wrote:
    Day 18, I've been having a drink or two intermittently since Christmas. While I haven't had any massive sessions in that time, or hangovers, or depressive symptoms, it's become normalised again. This is dangerous for me: I know from experience that it's only a matter of time before I have a massive blow out, so I'm back to abstinence. I know in every fibre of my being that this is the only thing that'll work for me.

When I admitted I had a problem and sought help my councillor told me that trying to reduce or control problem drinking is like juggling with dynamite..eventually you will blow!
    As with yourself,I know that abstinence is the only way to stay free of alcoholism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Was drinking my head off for far too long and have stopped for 5 days straight.

Felt anger, agitation all bloody week. The hangover after last weekend was a fright for me, the sweats too was crazed.

One day at a time eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Great to see you guy's 'off the beer' is it an age thing? I've loved drinking since i was 17 [59 now] but could never hold much just got full before i got drunk then had to go on the 'shorts'[only at weekends though] I still love a drink will get a few cans or flaggens of cider at weekend, but in the last while i'v no interest in it at all , i don't be in the pubs that often I find i've better things to do with my money[not working at the moment] sometimes i get a few in and don't touch them at all,am i getting sense at last. I used to work work in construction [small builds] with about 15 guys and if you turned in to work on monday and you were'nt sick from beer they would ignore you for most of the day while they talked about what they had drank over the weekend, Drunk as they had been they knew how many pints they had drank ,it used to make me sick just listening to them. Any way keep up the good work,hope your saving that 'beer money' now your off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Diablo Verde

I'm back in a place where I just can't be bothered with alcohol anymore. Something just clicks in my head after a while that makes me wonder why I ever bothered in the first place.

Having stopped for more than two years before, I'm well aware how easy it is to slip into old habits, so I'll be continuing to check-in here every couple of months.

For anyone considering a change, just remember that alcohol takes away more than it could ever possibly give. No matter what benefits you perceive you are getting from it, you are unknowingly losing out on so much more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

8 months this week.

Just came back from my first sober holiday in 35 years,popped over to the canaries to stay with a girl i've been seeing.

It was great not to be a slave to drinking every minute of the holiday,to say nothing of the vomiting and runs 1st thing in the morning and the horrible anxiety of wondering will the airline let me on the plane.

Amazingly we had no arguments or rows and i actually feel like a different person now..i might be cut out for relationships after all...when i was drinking i never gave a crap what anybody else felt and would work my way through broken romances almost as quickly as the pints i downed.

For anyone considering a change, just remember that alcohol takes away more than it could ever possibly give. No matter what benefits you perceive you are getting from it, you are unknowingly losing out on so much more.

Brilliant post. Hits the nail on the head for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Schwanz wrote: »
    Brilliant post. Hits the nail on the head for me.

Same. I’ll be one year sober July 3rd, I’ve enjoyed being sober so much more than I ever dreamed I could be.

1 year 4mths
    Was away down the country, my old stomping ground. Where closing time never really exists and the pints flowed and I experienced some of the lowest points and the worst hangover. Sober and enjoyed the family time and the up and down weather.
    Was struck with a 24hr bug and it just reminded me of a medium style hangover I usually experienced and was a stark reminder of how I never want to return to that on a weekly and more basis. Vomiting / the runs / the fear / laid up in bed. I didn't need it, but it has strengthed my resolve
    Keep it up people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

24 years and quite happy about it all.. dont miss it, never will.

Day one. Not a big man for prayers but if any of you guys are, stick in a word for me.

Cheers.

Day one. Not a big man for prayers but if any of you guys are, stick in a word for me.

Cheers.

Just go for it.

All about yourself now. Best of luck

• Advertisement

Cheers.

How's life for ya bud?

Advertisement