Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all buy Grace7 a weather station

• 09-02-2019 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭

I love reading the weather reports from a certain offshore island and as great the descriptions of letterboxes blowing away can be, I've always wondered what the maximum wind speeds are for her location

If a bunch of us throw in a fiver each can we buy her a decent weather station so she can keep a look out for the rest of us?

It would also be handy for her to tell her when its safe to open her doors or let in her cats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Christ no lol ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'd be up for that.

Even if we just put a few quid together to buy her a classical barometer so she could monitor for oncoming changes in the weather. A primitive piece of equipment, but still, to this day, one of the most useful.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'd be up for that.

Even if we just put a few quid together to buy her a classical barometer so she could monitor for oncoming changes in the weather. A primitive piece of equipment, but still, to this day, one of the most useful.

Im sure the experts on here could recommend something useful for not much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Akrasia wrote: »
    I love reading the weather reports from a certain offshore island and as great the descriptions of letterboxes blowing away can be, I've always wondered what the maximum wind speeds are for her location

If a bunch of us throw in a fiver each can we buy her a decent weather station so she can keep a look out for the rest of us?

It would also be handy for her to tell her when its safe to open her doors or let in her cats

I genuinely always though graces7 was a man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I would like to donate 5e to this - if Graces7 is indeed willing to accept something from us all (personally I think a point and click digital camera might be a better choice but let's see).

If this comes together just pm me PayPal details etc for donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I am absolutely in !!
    I rarely post or comment in this thread but it’s my go to read first thing in the morning and last thing ag night ! Graces7 description of her surroundings and weather always make me happy .
    When weather is bad I automatically think or Graces7 and pray that she is doing ok on that mayo off shore island , she often on my mind .
    A weather station or a camera or whatever you decide I’m in with a donation. Graces7 has given us all many hours of enjoyment with her beautiful descriptions of offshore island through her eyes , I think it’s nice we give her something back ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A designated thread could be an idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cheapo version will do
    BabyishComposedChrysalis-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Amazing how this kind of discussion is allowed on her. Afterall grace7 isn't even part of it. I'm sure if she wanted a weather station she could buy one for hereself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm in for a fiver :) Love her almost poetic descriptions of the weather.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think it’s a little sad to see such negativity. I feel it’s a nice idea born out of a lovely forum. A fiver won’t hurt me, even if it doesn’t pan out. While I don’t follow the poster outside the forum, her weather descriptions and posts are a great addition to the threads in my opinion

If you aren’t interested maybe scroll past?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Amazing how this kind of discussion is allowed on her. Afterall grace7 isn't even part of it. I'm sure if she wanted a weather station she could buy one for hereself

Agreed, this is all a bit weird tbh, and why the heck would anybody make their address details public on an online forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’ll throw a few euro in.

gozunda wrote: »
    So your saying you've been shown private messages from others? I think that might be against board tcs / gdpr no? As I said theres a report function if needed. From what I've seen posted openly here and elsewhere- theres little more than the usual harmless banter. I agree it's not our issue to sort.

What’s the hostility about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Obviously if Graces7 doesn't want anything to do with it then theres nobody going to force it on her

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

500b406a39f8a4fd7e1e739ae076bd28.jpg

gozunda wrote: »
    Your guess is as good as mine. I've no idea tbh - replying to poster going on about private messages etc. Its all very strange tbh.

No, I meant hostility to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

endacl wrote: »
    500b406a39f8a4fd7e1e739ae076bd28.jpg

One of these would be handy as well ... :p

woman-opening-window-with-view-on-sea-oleksiy-maksymenko.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Akrasia wrote: »
    Im sure the experts on here could recommend something useful for not much money.

A connected station on Weather Underground would give you a near real-time view.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2016/07/my-weather-station/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

This thread should be closed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: This thread is not really suitable. This thread is also personal and most of us here would not like a thread like this about ourselves, so I have no option but close this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: This thread is closed.

Discussing another person as done so in this thread is way out of line and is not to continue in any other thread. If persons have problems with PM's please use the report button.

Off topic and uncivil posts have been removed

Any more such comments and the Moderators will take appropriate action.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement