Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why can't we have Request Stops in Ireland?

• 29-11-2018 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

article-2670066-1D96D52900000578-481_306x423.jpg

This system https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/train-stations-wales-you-ask-12625986 has been operating in Britain for decades and makes the railway more useful and cost efficient - no banks of expensive ATMs, no stopping when nobody wants to get on or off and smaller stations that would otherwise have been closed remain on the network. On my own line stations such as Rathnew, Avoca, Woodenbridge, Ferns and Wexford South would all be in use and adding to the usefulness of the railway. Come on, tell me why it can't be done!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Del.Monte wrote: »
    article-2670066-1D96D52900000578-481_306x423.jpg

This system https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/train-stations-wales-you-ask-12625986 has been operating in Britain for decades and makes the railway more useful and cost efficient - no banks of expensive ATMs, no stopping when nobody wants to get on or off and smaller stations that would otherwise have been closed remain on the network. On my own line stations such as Rathnew, Avoca, Woodenbridge, Ferns and Wexford South would all be in use and adding to the usefulness of the railway. Come on, tell me why it can't be done!

No staff onboard to find out if anyone needs the stops is the most obvious one. All the lines in the UK with request stops have guards on board.

Also, isn't the slow speed of the Wexford line one of your many whinges on here? What do you think adding 5 more stops to the line would do to the journey times?

Opening stations is an expensive business, even an unstaffed single platform halt would be hundreds of thousands if not millions.

The disability requirements are a major obstacle in this as you cannot do a small station on the cheap without all the required extras. In order to gauge demand and build custom there should be a derogation allowed for a set period because the requirement for full accessibility is usualy met by not providing anything at all for anyone unless the cost/benefit is overwhelmingly high to fund the expensive projects now necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,047 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It can be done if you want to spend the money, is what he's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sorry - deleted original post and here's the revised version. :o

So basically you're saying that it can be done in places like sparsely populated West Wales but Ireland is different? Of course, you would need guards on trains but isn't that what CIE are already planning in the guise of redeployed platform staff as train revenue officers.

One of my many 'whinges' as you so quaintly put it is the overall slow speed but the possible addition of a few useful request stops would do little to slow things significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

For once I’m with the OP on this one, with the possible exception of Rathnew. The less dealings anyone or anything has with that place the better :D:D.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

No doubt the Unions would want extra for paying attention to the needs of passengers. That would definitely increase the cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

No doubt the Unions would want extra for paying attention to the needs of passengers. That would definitely increase the cost

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i can think of 3 good reasons.

1. all stops would have to be fully wheelchair accessible, and IE would have to be in a position to have a staff member available to help people who require assistance onto the train. (and they already cannot meet their existing commitments in that regard). So the cost requirements would be severe. (I assume nobody's suggesting quick stops be only for able bodied people ?)

2. another effect is it would adversely affect timetabling as journeys would take longer, and mean less frequent service or more rolling stock and staff required.

3. Would IE Drivers be happy to add potentially another 1/2 dozen stops to existing routes, making the round times longer, for no remuneration? i think we all know the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Its not really practical, many request stops in UK are so lightly used even by our standards. They would be closed if the process was easy. Equivalent to the parliament train service.

Not stopping at a lot of stations on single track routes will just result in signalling problems because they were set up badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Sorry - deleted original post and here's the revised version. :o

So basically you're saying that it can be done in places like sparsely populated West Wales but Ireland is different? Of course, you would need guards on trains but isn't that what CIE are already planning in the guise of redeployed platform staff as train revenue officers.

One of my many 'whinges' as you so quaintly put it is the overall slow speed but the possible addition of a few useful request stops would do little to slow things significantly.

Trains are not cars, you cannot speed to a station and drop the anchors at the last minute if someone is on the platform waiting. The train hs to drop from line speed to about 15mph and be ready to stop at all request stops. Even if nobody is at any of them you are looking at around a 3 minute time penalty per stop, more if any are actually used.

Then there is the timetabling, request stops need to be timetabled to account for the possibility of the train stopping not the other way round, otherwise they would end up running late everytime they stopped. Any extra time keeping issues is a bad thing but on a long single line route with a busy commuter section to slot into that is a recipe for a domino effect of delays.

Another 15-20 minutes on a Dublin - Wexford journey time, Bus Eireann and Wexford Bus would need to be pre-warned of this so they had extra coaches on order.

For someone who purports to be a rail expert you appear wilfully ignorant of even the most basic facts of railway operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭tomplate

Health and safety too

There'd be danger money for the extra stops

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Trains are not cars, you cannot speed to a station and drop the anchors at the last minute if someone is on the platform waiting. The train hs to drop from line speed to about 15mph and be ready to stop at all request stops. Even if nobody is at any of them you are looking at around a 3 minute time penalty per stop, more if any are actually used.

Then there is the timetabling, request stops need to be timetabled to account for the possibility of the train stopping not the other way round, otherwise they would end up running late everytime they stopped. Any extra time keeping issues is a bad thing but on a long single line route with a busy commuter section to slot into that is a recipe for a domino effect of delays.

Another 15-20 minutes on a Dublin - Wexford journey time, Bus Eireann and Wexford Bus would need to be pre-warned of this so they had extra coaches on order.

For someone who purports to be a rail expert you appear wilfully ignorant of even the most basic facts of railway operations.

Friend, there you go with your snide little digs again - I challenge you to find a single solitary post on Boards in any of my incarnations where I have purported to be anything of an expert. I am a long time rail user, campaigner and involved in serious railway preservation for too many years - that's where I'm coming from - how about you?

The rest of your post isn't worth replying to except that all these years I thought that BR staff threw out anchors to slow their trains. :rolleyes:

Oh, and as for the rest of you naysayers who think the idea is mad - what's the alternative. just leave CIE to dismantle the railway outside of the Greater Dublin area.? Afternoon all, I must go and Google some more railway facts.

Vic_08 wrote: »

Actually, with the Rosslare line in mind, there is plenty of fat built in to the timetable to accommodate this. Assuming the money is there it could work imo.

Just thinking, they could actually trial this at no cost.

At the moment Kilcoole is only served by (4)?services. You could trial this concept for the rest of the services and if it worked out consider developing Avoca etc etc.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

A lot of the stations on the WRC, the Limerick Junction-Waterford line and the Limerick-Ballybrophy line could be made request stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no doubt they wouldn't.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

no doubt they wouldn't.

Course they wouldn't, cause they're Jesus' messengers on earth and are divine. Never erred in their millenia of existence. Perfect beings.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

At the moment Kilcoole is only served by (4)?services. You could trial this concept for the rest of the services and if it worked out consider developing Avoca etc etc.......

Probably the most sensible suggestion - reopening a station would require a build to current spec (which would not be cheap, but could be justifiable in some cases) but the idea needs to be proven first.

Monasterevin is also skipped a fair bit as far as I remember but line speeds are probably a major issue there.

L1011 wrote: »
    Probably the most sensible suggestion - reopening a station would require a build to current spec (which would not be cheap, but could be justifiable in some cases) but the idea needs to be proven first.

Monasterevin is also skipped a fair bit as far as I remember but line speeds are probably a major issue there.

Gets an hourly service now, even two non stop from Heuston in the evenings.

The only development on the line will be a buffer placed at Greystones :)

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

Request stop should be exclusive to branch and lesser used definitely have no place on the mainline.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The only development on the line will be a buffer placed at Greystones :)

Forever the pessimist!

no doubt they wouldn't.

You honestly believe that?

3 words

Luas cooler bags

3 words

Luas cooler bags

And Luas drivers employed by Transdev have anything to with IE staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

3 words

Luas cooler bags

are irrelevant to this discussion. have another go

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is Ferns a candidate for re-opening anyway? It's about the same size as Rathdrum. Obviously assuming IR don't close the line entirely.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Is Ferns a candidate for re-opening anyway? It's about the same size as Rathdrum. Obviously assuming IR don't close the line entirely.

Probably not. For its size Ferns probably has a wonderful bus service(BE and Wex bus) were as Rathdrum has a virtually non existent one.

Also the station in Ferns isin't exactly in the most convient location for the town itself it would be a bit of a walk from the town centre by the looks of the things so I couldn't see a train getting much use compared to a bus. Also is Rathnew not a bit near Wicklow Town and as for Avoca it's only a small village of about 750 people so it hardly justifies a railway station.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Also the station in Ferns isin't exactly in the most convient location for the town itself it would be a bit of a walk from the town centre by the looks of the things so I couldn't see a train getting much use compared to a bus. Also is Rathnew not a bit near Wicklow Town and as for Avoca it's only a small village of about 750 people so it hardly justifies a railway station.

Walking distance to country stations tends not to be the issue that it is in cities i.e people tend to get dropped off and collected at them.

Avoca may be a small village but a reintroduced rail service could be used to bring in visitors as it's a popular destination. Irish rail passes through the village and gains no business whatsoever. In reality, little more is needed in Avoca than a sweep of the platform but no doubt, if it were to be reopened, there would have to be state of the art lifts, ATMs, ramps, new platforms etc.

• Advertisement

Advertisement