Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irelands Shortest Bus Lane

• 13-11-2018 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

I spotted this little patch of road the other day and immediately I thought it was the shortest piece of bus lane I'd ever seen. But I wondered, do the good folks of boards.ie know any that are shorter?

Heres my candidate: https://goo.gl/maps/grz3T38NfSu

Anyone know any shorter ones, or other pointlessly short ones that the bus doesn't fit into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I spotted this little patch of road the other day and immediately I thought it was the shortest piece of bus lane I'd ever seen. But I wondered, do the good folks of boards.ie know any that are shorter?

Anyone know any shorter ones, or other pointlessly short ones that the bus doesn't fit into?

Since it doesn't have anything apart from Bus written on the road it's not a Bus lane
    The roadway markings to indicate a bus lane shall consist of—

( a ) a continuous white line or lines 250 millimetres wide save where one edge of the bus lane coincides with the centre line of a roadway between the bus lane and an adjoining traffic lane and,

( b ) lettering the dimensions and design of which shall be as set out in the First Schedule to these Regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

That's but a road marking which is part of a longer bus corridor. Hardly a short bus lane in it's own right and it has a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

This bus lane runs for about 50 metres. Even though no bus routes run along the road in this direction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3587996,-6.4256913,3a,75y,120.85h,85.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slVu7e5krC9fx0nNgw-GDOw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kfagan10 wrote: »
    This bus lane runs for about 50 metres. Even though no bus routes run along the road in this direction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3587996,-6.4256913,3a,75y,120.85h,85.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slVu7e5krC9fx0nNgw-GDOw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Ooo, I remember that one.
    When they rebuilt that bridge in Lucan, they put in a Bus Lane on both directions, despite only needing it on one.

I'm sure it looked great on the drawing board...but the designer appeared to not be familiar with the area or the bus routes in it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Rawr wrote: »
    Ooo, I remember that one.
    When they rebuilt that bridge in Lucan, they put in a Bus Lane on both directions, despite only needing it on one.

I'm sure it looked great on the drawing board...but the designer appeared to not be familiar with the area or the bus routes in it :D

Might be used by bus connects in the future though.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

Zipppy wrote: »
    Might be used by bus connects in the future though.. ?

Could be...but I remember that Bus Lane from long before talk of Bus Connects.

Perhaps there was an older plan to run a route that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Followed by another ridiculously short one if you continue a few hundred metres the one after the roundabout at Hawthorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

There's an ultra short one around Dolphin's Barn. Did some paint company give a brown envelop to someone? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Was on the 17 this morning from Rathfarnham to Rialto. For those who know the area theres a bus lane from Rathfarnham bridge to the next lights. This is never policed so its always full of cars. As we went through the lights the bus driver went on the outside of the bus lane where there were only a couple of cars and proceeded to cut back into the left lane where the bus lane ended. Needless to say he got in! First time ever I'd seen that.
    Later at Dolphins barn bridge theres another bus lane beside Fatima mansions. Again this is never policed and always full of cars. Our driver waited until dropping off a few passengers before again going into the outside lane. He opened the door and shouted "its a bus lane" at some surprised car driver who obviously said something along the lines that everyone else was doing it. This was greeted by "so you think its ok because everyone else does it?"!
    Again went right to the top of the queue and cut back in to make a left turn. Anyone else ever see a driver do this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement