Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graham Linehan given police warning for "transphobia"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I opened this thinking it was Graham Norton. That woulda been a scoop

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Because I'm cautious about unfettered immigation to Europe and pre-op transwomen demanding to use women only spaces I've been branded an Islamophobe and a transphobe by some. Sad.
    What difference does the op make to the safety (or otherwise) of someone using a women-only space?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm a gay man with socially liberal views and a general centre-left political viewpoint but Im getting sick of the way additional letters are being added to the LGBT category that it is becoming meaningless. Also stupid terms like "cis", non-binary, TERF and other such rubbish...left wing ideology is eating itself.

Because I'm cautious about unfettered immigation to Europe and pre-op transwomen demanding to use women only spaces I've been branded an Islamophobe and a transphobe by some. Sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/11/transgender-prisoner-who-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

It's only one case I know but with all the threats of rape against terfs ect and stuff like the above you can see why folk have concerns .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

SeanW wrote: »
    God there's a whole new language to learn. Deadnaming. Trigger warnings. "Privilege". Intersectionality. Manspreading. Mansplaining. "Woke". Millions of new gender pronouns.

Does anyone speak English anymore? :mad:

Ah yes, the "purity" of the English language. A certain James Nicholl quote springs to mind.

Language changes. You may or may not like any given change, but being loudly offended at other people's supposed over-sensitivity on that basis alone risks looking pretty silly.

I really don't know what the issue is in Ireland. If you want to change your gender you can without any medical evidence or other backup. Off you go.

There hasn't been a problem with this here, and that is good. Not good to make it into an issue that really should not have so much traction. It is surely a private issue for the trans person.
    You'd think. But there's a weird, unholy alliance of people outraged otherwise. There's the second-wave feminists; there's the reader of the Femail supplement; there's the "it's political correctness gone mad!" element.
    But it seems to be a big issue over there in Brexitland. We are so much better at these things here it seems.

We're much better at that one pretty recently, mind: Ireland went from no recognition at all of changes of legal gender to basically self-cert. The UK has had elaborately-gatekept recognition for a while, and there's a certain amount of pushback on switching to the (brand new!) Irish model, as above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

So who is in the wrong? Seems to be fault on both sides.

So who is in the wrong? Seems to be fault on both sides.

I think both, yes.

The headline was fairly dramatic, but by my reading of the actual story here, to be a little fair to the police here...

We'd two people, each complaining of the other "harassing" them, using hate speech against them, and so on. Da cops have... told them (or one of them at least, wasn't clear what they'd told the other party) to... not contact the other person, that they feel harassed by, and that they accuse of harassing them.

I think that's maybe in "no sh!t, Sherlock" territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

alaimacerc wrote: »
    You'd think. But there's a weird, unholy alliance of people outraged otherwise. There's the second-wave feminists; there's the reader of the Femail supplement; there's the "it's political correctness gone mad!" element.

We're much better at that one pretty recently, mind: Ireland went from no recognition at all of changes of legal gender to basically self-cert. The UK has had elaborately-gatekept recognition for a while, and there's a certain amount of pushback on switching to the (brand new!) Irish model, as above.

I would say that the cost of self identification hasn’t really been identified yet. It is interesting how little debate, in Parliament or in public, in newspapers or on TV the whole thing generated.

Maybe we got sick of divisive cultural divisions over the last generation.

I would say that the cost of self identification hasn’t really been identified yet. It is interesting how little debate, in Parliament or in public, in newspapers or on TV the whole thing generated.

Maybe we got sick of divisive cultural divisions over the last generation.

Or had too many other ones to be worrying about at the time!

TBF, I share your surprise. As I understand it, the Bill was originally going to be very much on the UK model. Get a battery of docs to tell the state what your gender is, after said docs decide what sort of societal, hormonal or surgical interventions were appropriate, the whole thing taking some significant time. Then late on, it changed entirely to the self-cert model.

Perhaps it's no surprise there's not a loud objection from the "TERF" POV -- Ireland's still pretty much at the "too early to say" stage when it comes to '60s feminism. Doubtless Iona, etc, had other "moral issues" to be policing the nation on that they felt were more appropriate.

For the FG perspective, I'm sure this model has many attractions. It's seen to be the socially liberal thing to do -- leapfrogging the UK, indeed! But it also neatly sidesteps the whole awkward "provision of services" business. You filled in your form, you got your cert -- now go away while we make a half-hearted attempted to deal with the hospital trolley crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Or had too many other ones to be worrying about at the time!

TBF, I share your surprise. As I understand it, the Bill was originally going to be very much on the UK model. Get a battery of docs to tell the state what your gender is, after said docs decide what sort of societal, hormonal or surgical interventions were appropriate, the whole thing taking some significant time. Then late on, it changed entirely to the self-cert model.

Perhaps it's no surprise there's not a loud objection from the "TERF" POV -- Ireland's still pretty much at the "too early to say" stage when it comes to '60s feminism. Doubtless Iona, etc, had other "moral issues" to be policing the nation on that they felt were more appropriate.

For the FG perspective, I'm sure this model has many attractions. It's seen to be the socially liberal thing to do -- leapfrogging the UK, indeed! But it also neatly sidesteps the whole awkward "provision of services" business. You filled in your form, you got your cert -- now go away while we make a half-hearted attempted to deal with the hospital trolley crisis.

As far as I know, the Irish bill has exemptions where services can be provided based on sex. These are prisons, hospitals, a female who identifies as male can't become a priest etc

The only exemption proposed in the UK is that females can't identify as male to inherit titles or land through primogeniture. So I guess sex only matters when it comes to females possibly getting something over males.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

when you go in for a medical check up, do you get a cervical or a prostate exam? can men have cervical smears? can women have their prostate checked?

when you go in for a medical check up, do you get a cervical or a prostate exam? can men have cervical smears? can women have their prostate checked?

What about people that have had any of the above surgically removed? (For example, due to cancer treatment.) Or have an intersex condition?

Is your plan to seize someone's full medical records before you consider their request as to their preferred pronouns?

What about people that have had any of the above surgically removed? (For example, due to cancer treatment.) Or have an intersex condition?

Is your plan to seize someone's full medical records before you consider their request as to their preferred pronouns?
    What? I use preferred pronouns and I do not to my knowledge have the authority to seize anyone's medical records.

What? I use preferred pronouns and I do not to my knowledge have the authority to seize anyone's medical records.

Grand, so. So why is your initial question material to this discussion of GL and his charming demeanour on twitter?

Grand, so. So why is your initial question material to this discussion of GL and his charming demeanour on twitter?
    just musing on the general subject matter. so sorry to have triggered.

just musing on the general subject matter. so sorry to have triggered.

Ah, so here to talk in lazy clichés, not to meaningfully discuss anything. Grand, it's good to know early on.

you must be new here

Well, there's AH levels of "meaningful", and then there's "OMG triggered" levels of discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hear you’re a transphobiaist now Father

Transgender people, a great bunch of lads!

I see Stephanie has got the local police force to arrest another person for tweeting her dead name.

It’s reported in the daily mail but to not make the paper that reported it the issue I’ll link instead to the mumsnet discussion on it.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3504035-Sky-News-just-featured-story-appearing-in-tomorrows-Sunday-Mail

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

How can you justify arresting someone for using the wrong name?

You can change your name by deed poll but I'm under no obligation to address you by your new name.

Britain is like a sick joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,176 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I say they are police men/women out there and they probably want to make a difference and they can't believe they've to deal with this stuff.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

AllForIt wrote: »
    The more I try to understand transexual issue...the more confused I get.

What's to understand? Just a bunch of crazy lads in drag thinking they're girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I see Stephanie has got the local police force to arrest another person for tweeting her dead name.

Was that actually the reason for the arrest, or was there something more to it?
    It’s reported in the daily mail but to not make tge paper that reported it the issue I’ll link instead to the mumsnet discussion on it.
    Out of the frying pan...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Absolutely sick of this nonsense debate. Load of headers on all sides of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

That was months ago she got arrested.

I read a bunch of her tweets at the time and she was on about misogyny and safe spaces for women the rest of the time she wasn't moaning about this issue.

Seems to me it's yet another case of the left eating itself.

Here's some of the tweets that got her arrested:

https://twitter.com/BustedWench/status/1016990292220764162

https://twitter.com/BustedWench/status/1032662764165189639

https://twitter.com/BustedWench/status/974680058710450177

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How ****in' hard is it too get someone's name right?

How often do you hear someone insisting on refering to Tom Cruise as as Thomas Mapother the Fourth just because it's his 'real' name?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

All this trans stuff is a load of ****
    At the end of the day they are blokes playing dress up

Was that actually the reason for the arrest, or was there something more to it?

Yes. That alone. As reported.
    Out of the frying pan...

It interesting how many woke males are opposing the mumsnet feminist position.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Absolutely sick of this nonsense debate. Load of headers on all sides of it.

Convenient for the ruling classes that these kind of things are the political debate, alright.

Advertisement