Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obesity crisis in Ireland Mod Note post 1

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Eastern Europeans I meet and see out and about all seem to be in better shape than us, particularly the women are thin. What are they doing diet wise? They like a drink too. It seems to be Brits/Irish/Yanks that are the worst affected.

We also drink less than our grandparents generation I would imagine. Looking at past generations pictures and it's striking how there were no fatties.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Encourage people to drink more water.
    Oh wait... they're going to tax people for using too much water.

Take the free travel passes off the unemployed, make them walk more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm not concerned, the world needs prop forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We have just become lazier as a nation, along with The UK
    Smart phones and technology playing a key part.

Cars and SUVs are playing a key part. There are people apparently allergic to walk or cycle more than 50m under their own steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

SSr0 wrote: »
    I would. I don't know what annoys me more, having to look at a severely obese person trying to waddle around a shop and fill their trolley with ****e, or having to listen to their pity parade as to why they do it.
    I only see that on American tv shows.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Cars and SUVs are playing a key part. There are people apparently allergic to walk or cycle more than 50m under their own steam.

That pcp is only promoting obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

Cantine in every school with a menu prepared by dietitians.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I only see that on American tv shows.

Good stuff, I see it in my local Dunnes/Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Eastern Europeans I meet and see out and about all seem to be in better shape than us, particularly the women are thin. What are they doing diet wise? They like a drink too. It seems to be Brits/Irish/Yanks that are the worst affected.

Marcin and Magda don't go for a curry cheese chip and batter burger after their drink. Diet.

I would. I don't know what annoys me more, having to look at a severely obese person trying to waddle around a shop and fill their trolley with ****e, or having to listen to their pity parade as to why they do it.
    Wait until we have people here on their fat scooters going round the shops like the Yanks in Walmart

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    Ban breakfast cereal, problem solved.
    "Problem solved"? Even though there would still be masses of other foods even higher in calories. Also which breakfast cereal? A bowl of high fibre cereal like Bran Flakes is obviously better than a bag of Doritos.
    ED E wrote: »
    Exercise has practically nothing to do with weight, diet is the only factor worth considering.
    It does if you run and lift weights regularly.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

And after they have their child got the 5 for €2 sausage rolls it’s straight to the drinks section for a bottle of coke and complete the breakfast with a bar of chocolate. Sorry two, one for the child and one for the parent.
    Stuffing their faces then inside in their new pcp duster.

Good stuff, I see it in my local Dunnes/Tesco.
    They give you their pity parade?

PARlance wrote: »
    Marcin and Magda don't go for a curry cheese chip and batter burger after their drink. Diet.
    I think they don't drink as much pints either, they prefer spirits I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

They give you their pity parade?

Yup, I'm a very approachable person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We also drink less than our grandparents generation I would imagine. Looking at past generations pictures and it's striking how there were no fatties.

Very strong gym culture in eastern Europe. Polish eat alot of simple home cooked food.

And after they have their child got the 5 for €2 sausage rolls it’s straight to the drinks section for a bottle of coke and complete the breakfast with a bar of chocolate. Sorry two, one for the child and one for the parent.
    Stuffing their faces then inside in their new pcp duster.

Ugh a duster :( I'd rather walk

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

rob316 wrote: »
    Very strong gym culture in eastern Europe. Polish eat alot of simple home cooked food.

Isn't there average life expectancy lower than ours tough?

Now I know quality of life/etc are factors.

Those poor people again what can be done with them
    They do say this is affecting less well off people and the working classes more. I suppose the D4s won't be as affected with their soy lattes, veganism and the cycling to the office....:pac:

Then again McDonalds was packed out in Dun Laoghaire last time I was there.

By a few years but as you said many factors effect that.

• Advertisement

I think Lithuania has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, think it's a problem. Russia also.

Life expectancy in Russia and Ukraine = 71
    Lithuania = 75
    Latvia = 74
    Ireland = 82

Although if our obesity keeps going through the roof that may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ask someone after leaving a chipper if they like vegetables.

"No I hate vegetables...uggh"

What have you got there?

"Bag of chips...what ya think"

And what are chips made of?

"Erm spuds".

Didn't you know spuds are a vegetable?

======================================

Point I'm making is you can make vegetables tasty. You don't have to deep fry them to make them tasty, there are other ways. It just takes a little education. Oh sorry, did I say education. God forbid.

rob316 wrote: »
    True very big into the gym they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

We're living too long. Should be lookng at things the other way. Encourage smoking, booze and fast food from the age of 16. Life expectancy would be about 50. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Lithuania has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, think it's a problem. Russia also.

Life expectancy in Russia and Ukraine = 71
    Lithuania = 75
    Latvia = 74
    Ireland = 82

Although if our obesity keeps going through the roof that may change.

Yes, I understand this.
    I just think to have a healthy lifestyle and diet isimportant.
    Sometimes people focus to much on BMI.
    Now I'm not for a second encouraging people to be over weight.

Yes, I understand this.
    I just think to have a healthy lifestyle and diet isimportant.
    Sometimes people focus to much on BMI.
    Now I'm not for a second encouraging people to be over weight.
    Yeah I think the BMI thing is overplayed. Most rugby players and weightlifters would be called overweight/obese on the BMI scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

"Problem solved"? Even though there would still be masses of other foods even higher in calories. Also which breakfast cereal? A bowl of high fibre cereal like Bran Flakes is obviously better than a bag of Doritos.

It does if you run and lift weights regularly.

Aaaaah, I think she was being tongue-in-cheek there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Shame on all of you! Give me my dignity! I just came here to see 'Honk If You're Horny' in peace!

I hate allotting any time to grocery shopping. It’s so tedious. How are some of ye hanging around so long to observe what other people are buying?

20% mince would be a good deal cheaper than 5%. Maybe she was on a strict budget?

I’m not overweight and buy mince of differing fat percentages. You need them for different dishes.

OCD packaging needs to be flawless.

Anyway my point is simple choices make a big difference. Leaner meat, brown instead of white bread, lower fat cheese, low fat cheese, light milk etc etc.
    No one is asking someone to eat a plate of lettuce, people think "oh I'd miss this and I'd miss that on a diet". You can have all those still just not as much and often.

I hate diets, your eating habits should be for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

It’s glandular, okay? They’ve got “a condition”.

Advertisement