Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any theories on how Leaving Cert 2021 will work?

• 20-07-2020 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

My son is heading into 6th year ( hopefully!) So due to sit the Leaving Cert next summer. Obviously there's been loads of school missed already, and goodness knows what's ahead of us. Just wondering if anyone has any theories on how the Dept might handle next year's Leaving Cert. Not sure teachers would want to do predicted grades thing again. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Department haven't given any guidelines on how schools will reopen in 6 weeks time. I wouldn't be too confident in getting details of the 2021 LC just yet.

Most likely scenario is that there would be more choice on exam papers to allow for time missed. But nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Upthewalls1

Going back a few months I would have said more choice on the paper would probably be how it would go but as it looks like they wont get back to school fulltime in September I'm not so sure now. My ds is going into 6th year too and I am telling him that he needs to treat every class test like its the leaving cert just in case their grades through the year will be taken into account in some sort of blended assessement. I have a dd waiting on predicted grade results at the moment and its been such a stressful time. Have a girl going into 1st year too... just wish the government would come out with definate instructions to the educational institutes on 1 metre or 2 metre distancing so they could get planning and give people an idea of how things will go going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Going back a few months I would have said more choice on the paper would probably be how it would go but as it looks like they wont get back to school fulltime in September I'm not so sure now. My ds is going into 6th year too and I am telling him that he needs to treat every class test like its the leaving cert just in case their grades through the year will be taken into account in some sort of blended assessement. I have a dd waiting on predicted grade results at the moment and its been such a stressful time. Have a girl going into 1st year too... just wish the government would come out with definate instructions to the educational institutes on 1 metre or 2 metre distancing so they could get planning and give people an idea of how things will go going forward.

Omg I thought we had it bad, all three of your children are at such important stages! Can only imagine how stressful these times are for you. I too am telling my son to treat every test like it's the Leaving Cert from now on in, but he's stressed now as his grades from the bit of 5th year he had, left a lot to be desired! I think that even if they do get back in September, (which looks unlikely to me), much of the first term will probably be spent trying to recap and reengage the students, so I expect it to be some time before they can really start back in to the course properly. Id be amazed to see them back in the school full time. Even forgetting the fact that there's no evidence yet of the Dept having a plan in place, or any works been carried out to schools, I think we are bound to hear of clusters in schools in the coming year. I can see a lot more disruption ahead. Of course the bigger picture is that our priority must be to stay well. Wishing the very best to all students and teachers for the coming year.....such uncertain times ahead for all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

carr62 wrote: »
    ... but he's stressed now as his grades from the bit of 5th year he had, left a lot to be desired!
    Tell him to chill and concentrate on next year.

IF (heaven forbid) we find ourselves in the same situation (i.e. "calculated grades") in June '21, it will be his sixth year grades, not his fifth year grades that his teachers will be looking at.

Advertisement