Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tonight's Boxing 17/4 (Andrade v Williams, Prograis v Redkach, Paul v Askren etc)

Options
  • 17-04-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Andrade v Williams ring walks expected at 10.30pm/11pm on DAZN tonight. Aways rated Liam Williams highly. Think he was very unlucky in those two Liam Smith fights and he's improved immensely since joining Ingle and moving to 160 too. Just think Andrade might be a little bit too awkward for him and expect him to win a competitive fight on points. Expect Williams to give him some issues though for sure.

Two cards of note in the early hours. Regis Prograis fights on that bonkers Triller card and Tony Harrison fights on a PBC card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Andrade v Williams ring walks expected at 10.30pm/11pm on DAZN tonight. Aways rated Liam Williams highly. Think he was very unlucky in those two Liam Smith fights and he's improved immensely since joining Ingle and moving to 160 too. Just think Andrade might be a little bit too awkward for him and expect him to win a competitive fight on points. Expect Williams to give him some issues though for sure.

Two cards of note in the early hours. Regis Prograis fights on that bonkers Triller card and Tony Harrison fights on a PBC card.

50 dollars in the U.S. for the Prograis card....

Wtf...

I expect Williams to be somewhat competitive, but not winning. He is not good enough..

In Florida, but starting at a time to suit the UK. Mad, they be in the ring late afternoon over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Couple of upsets already on DAZN. Majidov the heavyweight who beat Joshua in the amateurs just got knocked out in the first round. Looks like he's badly hurt his ankle on the fall too. Long road back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭megadodge

Couple of upsets already on DAZN. Majidov the heavyweight who beat Joshua in the amateurs just got knocked out in the first round. Looks like he's badly hurt his ankle on the fall too. Long road back from that.

Was surprised he waited so long to turn pro. Considering he won the World Ams three times, maybe he wanted that Olympic gold to complete the collection?
    I think he's 34ish now and that ankle looked bad, so it's hard to see what he does from here.

I was impressed with him from what I saw in previous fights.

Won’t be watching the replay. Ankle injuries make me awful queasy...

megadodge wrote: »
    Was surprised he waited so long to turn pro. Considering he won the World Ams three times, maybe he wanted that Olympic gold to complete the collection?
    I think he's 34ish now and that ankle looked bad, so it's hard to see what he does from here.

Could swear I remember reports from 4/5 years ago saying he was going to quit the sport altogether. Traditionally rare enough for the Azerbaijani's to turn pro isn't it. Think he kind of did the Paddy Barnes. Turned pro knowing he was past his peak for a few pay days.

• Advertisement

Could swear I remember reports from 4/5 years ago saying he was going to quit the sport altogether. Traditionally rare enough for the Azerbaijani's to turn pro isn't it. Think he kind of did the Paddy Barnes. Turned pro knowing he was past his peak for a few pay days.

Yeah, I think you're right there.
    What I meant originally was that with his attractive style (very big puncher) I was surprised he didn't turn pro after 2012 or so, when he had serious potential.

Is the sound fooked on DAZN?

walshb wrote: »
    Is the sound fooked on DAZN?

For that interview with Eddie yeah. Everything else fine.

For that interview with Eddie yeah. Everything else fine.

Yep. Back now.

Some start by Andrade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Some start by Andrade!

Really sharp start. Made Williams look awfully bad in that first round.

Andrade looks a few levels above.

World class vs barely above domestic level!

World class vs barely above domestic level!

That knockdown was such basic stuff, Williams looks awful, Andrade in second gear here.

Andrade, if he sits down more and commits he should take Williams out!

Good 4th from Williams. Andrade suddenly doesn't look too steady.
    Could be an interesting next few rounds.

Williams at least here to win..

His defence is just a bit too porous

Yeah, Williams coming into it a bit. To be fair he’s always in exciting fights.

Andrade seems to be lacking the strength and power to keep Williams off him.

A strong middle would eat Williams up. In the pocket dominating.

Andrade’s shots not enough to really discourage..

But could still take Williams out...if he lands real clean.

When Andrade performs there’s a clear gulf in class

I still think a few clean hard ones will end this for Andrade..

• Advertisement

It’s frustrating to see Andrade only show these bursts of class, feels like he’s holding back at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

Williams is tough as nails but levels below Andrade.

Johner wrote: »
    It’s frustrating to see Andrade only show these bursts of class, feels like he’s holding back at times.

Yes. Every time Andrade unloads and connects, Williams looks hurt and lost..

Andrade was hurt there clearly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Andrade was hurt there clearly!!

Badly enough too, he was still wobbly when the ref separated them.

Andrade is holding a huge amount too.
    I'm probably more annoyed by holding than most, but if I was the ref I'd have points gone from him by now.

Williams is going nowhere..

Great trier. But what a woeful defence...

If Andrade was a hitter with aggression it would have been done and dusted long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

Classic case of the boxer vs the scrapper.

• Moderators Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Chris Algieri is a hard listen.

Scandalous amount of holding from Andrade, yet the referee didn't even warn him once!

Williams made him work every minute and Andrade didn't want to, so he just held. And was allowed to.

• Advertisement

Williams is not that big, Smith!!!

Yes, has fought above 160, but has fought low 150s...

Advertisement