Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning French

• 08-07-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

did french for the leaving cert many years ago
    was thinking of heading back to do french lessons in the evenings
    has anyone any experience/tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

chancer007 wrote: »
    did french for the leaving cert many years ago
    was thinking of heading back to do french lessons in the evenings
    has anyone any experience/tips?

Possibly not what you're looking for but I'm four years into studying part-time for a modern languages degree with the Open University. You study in your own time and attend tutorials online. A degree is six years long but you can also go for certs and diplomas.

I think what you're probably looking for is the Alliance Française, a French government initiative to promote their language overseas. They are based on Kildare Street in Dublin but have branches across the country in Cork, Kilkenny, Limerick, Waterford and Wexford. I believe the courses there are reasonable also.

If you do decide to pursue this, I can help you a bit in finding good online resources to help you and also with any advice you may need.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

Thanks very much for the offer for online resources, please feel free to send them on.
    I have just finished a Masters in IT recently (2 year-part-time), 6 years seems a big commitment.
    I believe some of the education boards to part-time adult evening courses starting in September, I was going to have this as my starting point, what do you think?
    I bought some grammar books for beginners so I aim to get the basics right.
    I'll definitely take a look at alliance francais.
    My company has offices in France, so they plan would be to get in contact with employees in France & find someone who I can skype to brush up my french, but that's along way ahead :)
    Of course, I plan to visit France in next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Michel Tomas courses are always a good starting point to get your ear in again. No homework, no workbooks. Often available in the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

Use Pimsleur one to get a proper accent...then maybe do Michel Thomas Foundation....then finish the Pimsleur 2 and 3 and go back to the Michel Thomas advanced......If you do that over the course of 3 to 6 months and 5 mins a day on duolingo you will get a decent enough level to start speaking to people in language exchanges online....
    After that...I'd listen to music, read more and see where it takes you

30 mins a day would be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Alliance Francais. Best place by far according to French people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

If you want to brush up on basics, the duolingo app is highly recommendable.

Advertisement