Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsure of entitlements

• 24-10-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My husband lost his complete eyesight through an accident and had to stop working apart from that he also suffers from Depression and Osteo Arthritis. He is not able to go to work.

I do work full time but with extreme difficulty due to my husbands disability as he is not able to do anything even though he has gone for training etc. He lost a lot of weight and now has started to feel suicidal. He was assigned a guide dog but does not go out unless I am with him. Many times I had to leave work to see to him and when I get home I do all the usual household work and cooking. Due to his blindness he is not capable of even making himself a sandwich. At times he cannot get out of bed due to either the Depression or Osteo Arthritis hurting him too much.

We are not in any receipt of any type of benefit as I am not sure what we would be entitled to claim as he needs full time care. I am thinking of resigning from my job and care for him full time but do not know where to start as both of us have never been on benefits as we always worked.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to which benefits there are I could start applying for? Also I am not sure how long does the process take? Would it be better to resign now or once the decision for benefit has come through?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I just need to do something or I will lose my husband.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,019 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could I ask what age-group is he? Its a dreadful situation for both of you, and maybe full time care might be the answer, or just possibly it might make it worse. Have you discussed this with your GP? Whether you decide to look for benefits or not, you will need his support and advice. Carers benefit would be the obvious starting place I would think, but there will have to be medical assessments, so you really need to talk to the family (or his) GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MonaMia

looksee wrote: »
    Could I ask what age-group is he? Its a dreadful situation for both of you, and maybe full time care might be the answer, or just possibly it might make it worse. Have you discussed this with your GP? Whether you decide to look for benefits or not, you will need his support and advice. Carers benefit would be the obvious starting place I would think, but there will have to be medical assessments, so you really need to talk to the family (or his) GP.

I went to the doctor this morning and she told me that my husband (55) and I definitely can seek benefits due to his blindness and other health conditions so this is what we are going to do now.

Thank you,

Mia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

MonaMia wrote: »
    I went to the doctor this morning and she told me that my husband (55) and I definitely can seek benefits due to his blindness and other health conditions so this is what we are going to do now.

Thank you,

Mia

Go to your nearest Citizens Information Centre first thing on Tuesday Mia. Bring both of your PPS numbers. They are free and confidential. They will help you.

Advertisement