Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New style Pull up pads from HSE

Options
  • 12-04-2019 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

I home care in a variety of homecare settings in Dublin. Some of the clients are getting this new version of pull ups from then HSE that are way too skimpy - they are almost like thongs!!!!

The older version of pull ups were pants style and would hold a half litre - if not more, but this new version are just too skimpy and leaky . These are going to push everyone into wearing the slip- on type - which are too difficult for a person to assemble on their own without assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Red Hare wrote: »
    I home care in a variety of homecare settings in Dublin. Some of the clients are getting this new version of pull ups from then HSE that are way too skimpy - they are almost like thongs!!!!

The older version of pull ups were pants style and would hold a half litre - if not more, but this new version are just too skimpy and leaky . These are going to push everyone into wearing the slip- on type - which are too difficult for a person to assemble on their own without assistance.
    Could you give me an example of the old version and new version?

What are the options if an elderly person is unable due to mobility reasons to get a pull up pad on, on their own - are their any other pads or options?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Hi ya Ace,

Sorry I am only seeing your post now.
    A pull up-pad is like a disposable pants/knickers that is padded.
    It is called pull-up because the person pulls it up - just like pants.

other pads are stick -on ones that are attached to underwear like sanitary towels -these do not hold as much liquids/solids as the pull ups. typically a pull up will hold 1.25 litres of liquid but a stick on pad might just hold half of that or less.

there are also slip-on pads, these are like a nappy , they have sticky pads that come around the waist from the back and are stuck to the front of the pad to secure the pad shut. they hold more liquid than the pull ups but they are more difficult for the user to use on their own.

If you have difficulty pulling up a pull-up then I think you should let you public health nurse know this, as you would be entitled to a home care assistant to help you with your pads. These nurses usually are fairly expert in the different types of pads and they might bring you samples to demonstrate or let you try out.

My gripe with the new pull-ups is that they have gotten thiner in the gusset -which is where most of the paddings is needed. I don't believe that these new pull ups would hold 1.25 litres at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

The HSE have not changed there contract in incontinance wear in the last few years so wear is the change in pull ups . There has been no change I am aware of in the pull ups

Hi alibab, its the same brand ID pants blue pack normal, but the new ones have a more slimmed down style different style with less padding.

If you haven’t encountered them yet - be glad, the wrapper is the same but the product is a mere fillet of the original. The clients were the first to notice. I hope its just a rogue batch that were dropped in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Can you apply for these if the person you're caring for lives at home? I currently buy these.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Can you apply for these if the person you're caring for lives at home? I currently buy these.

Thanks

I think it only applies if the person lives at home, do they have a medical card?
    They can be quite expensive to buy so definitely make the call to your local health centre/local district nurse and they should be able to help you.

Hi Kathleen, yes you can apply for them through you public health nurse. However they are subject to medical card means test as far as I know - so the person who needs the pad need to qualify.

I notice recently that Aldi have their own brand of incontinence wear- stick on pads and pull ups. They are much cheaper than the chemist or other supermarket brands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The incontinence wear we use in work hasn't changed but that brand tends to have its effectiveness rated on the pack, so make sure the new ones are comparable to the old.
    Also, be sure they are fitted right, with the last design change we had to have a refresher on using the pants as they had to be shaped slightly to create a better non-leak fit.

Advertisement