Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Rathborne, Ashtown, Dublin 15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nhd

Hi, our solicitor also confirmed he has received the contract yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

nhd wrote:
    Hi, our solicitor also confirmed he has received the contract yesterday.

Can I ask what street are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nhd

Hi MayoSalmon, On Pelletstown Av, how about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

nhd wrote:
    Hi MayoSalmon, On Pelletstown Av, how about yourself?

Rathborne Square..nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rapscallion1

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Rathborne Square..nothing yet

I'm on Rathborne Square too and nothing yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Daithon

Have many people received their contracts yet ?

We are on Pelletstown Ave and it hasn't arrived with the solicitors as of yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

No word yet on mine but to be honest, I'd far prefer if they progressed starting on the site than send out the contract quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikehene

I'm on Rathborne View and no sign of ours yet, however i'm on the same page as elainers. Really starting to worry about move in dates.

For those of you who have received their contracts, did Castlethorn provide you with any projected completion/move in dates? Also, did you receive info on the parking scheme?

If it's the same as Alderlie, my understanding is they give up to two years to complete the house in the contract. Which is a long time to have a contractual obligation to buy a house hanging over you.

It's also way off the estimates they gave the day we paid booking deposits (March or June for me me depending on who you were talking to). So that's why I'd like to see the site kick off soon - preferably before I sign anything. I've been told too many times work starts this week to quite believe it at this point.

elainers wrote: »
    If it's the same as Alderlie, my understanding is they give up to two years to complete the house in the contract. Which is a long time to have a contractual obligation to buy a house hanging over you.

It's also way off the estimates they gave the day we paid booking deposits (March or June for me me depending on who you were talking to). So that's why I'd like to see the site kick off soon - preferably before I sign anything. I've been told too many times work starts this week to quite believe it at this point.

Yeah, we were told May for our house but I would be happy if we were in by July TBH. I believe we have 28 days in which to sign the contracts to avail to the free white goods, so i plan on waiting till seeing work start on the development.

• Advertisement

mikehene wrote: »
    Yeah, we were told May for our house but I would be happy if we were in by July TBH. I believe we have 28 days in which to sign the contracts to avail to the free white goods, so i plan on waiting till seeing work start on the development.

I'd advise managing your expectations a bit to be honest. Most completion dates tend to be dates for snagging. After this there'll be 4-8 weeks which will include the first snag snag, them fixing what was found in the first snag (that may drive up the time depending on what's found), a second snag to check all is fixed, (potentially another round if everything isn't), potentially a boundary survey if the snag doesn't include this, definitely a bank valuation, final loan bits, drawdown, legal bits on the conveyancing and finally you'll get your keys. And then you'll be moving into a house with no floors or furniture. There's a thread on here about buying a new build. It gives great insight on actual timelines rather than developer projected.

May was them starting construction October 1st just gone with no delays. Personally I always had September as a more likely point for me and Castlethorn thought March for mine (that was their official document the day of the launch) and Savill's said June was far more likely to manage my expectations on the day I handed over the booking deposit.

But the site's not even cleared yet never mind any materials delivered or building started. I'd be very happy if I'm in by next Christmas the rate they're going and my row is due to build just after show houses. Hopefully I'm very wrong!!!

I'd advise managing your expectations a bit to be honest. Most completion dates tend to be dates for snagging. After this there'll be 4-8 weeks which will include the first snag snag, them fixing what was found in the first snag (that may drive up the time depending on what's found), a second snag to check all is fixed, (potentially another round if everything isn't), potentially a boundary survey if the snag doesn't include this, definitely a bank valuation, final loan bits, drawdown, legal bits on the conveyancing and finally you'll get your keys. And then you'll be moving into a house with no floors or furniture. There's a thread on here about buying a new build. It gives great insight on actual timelines rather than developer projected.

May was them starting construction October 1st just gone with no delays. Personally I always had September as a more likely point for me and Castlethorn thought March for mine (that was their official document the day of the launch) and Savill's said June was far more likely to manage my expectations on the day I handed over the booking deposit.

But the site's not even cleared yet never mind any materials delivered or building started. I'd be very happy if I'm in by next Christmas the rate they're going and my row is due to build just after show houses. Hopefully I'm very wrong!!!

Yeah, you're right, I probably need to reevaluate. Do you have a link to the specific thread you mean? Had a look but there seems to be a number of threads related to new builds. Thanks

Yeah, you're right, I probably need to reevaluate. Do you have a link to the specific thread you mean? Had a look but there seems to be a number of threads related to new builds. Thanks

This is the one I found most useful: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057622186

I'm going to contact Savills tomorrow and ask what the story is with the site and completion dates. Might help move things on if they get a few enquiries about it pre-contract signing.

To me the contract delivering quickly is a red herring. At least if I came across a better/similar property now, I could buy it because I'm not committed. Once you sign, you're stuck waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rdoyle16

I wouldn't be too concerned with progress once they actually start on site. There is little or no heavy civils work - all roads and services are in already and if its true that they are timber-framed as someone mentioned previously they should fly up. I just had a quick look on google earth there at the Adamstown site and you can see that the foundations for the show houses were only being poured at the time the attached image was taken - 7th May 2017 (google shows it in the american date format). I went to see these showhouses the week after the opening for Rathbourne Park which was less than 5 months from foundations being poured to finished and kitted out. In terms of site clearing and mobilisation this should only take 2 weeks max - but the only problem is, in my experience most contractors are unwilling to mobilise to site in December as they don't want to have to demob for two weeks after just getting set up and prefer to push it to January. So I would think it is very likely there will be no works on site this year but that by June / July the first houses should be coming on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

It took us 9 months from signing to getting keys in RCP if that's a good guide for you? They broke ground within around a month of paying the initial deposit. The delays were in the final month with service connections,

This is the one I found most useful: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057622186

I'm going to contact Savills tomorrow and ask what the story is with the site and completion dates. Might help move things on if they get a few enquiries about it pre-contract signing.

To me the contract delivering quickly is a red herring. At least if I came across a better/similar property now, I could buy it because I'm not committed. Once you sign, you're stuck waiting.

Thanks Elainers, I'll take a look through

Just received an update from Savills that the remaining contracts will be issued today / tomorrow and that construction is scheduled to commence 22nd of November....

rdoyle16 wrote: »
    Just received an update from Savills that the remaining contracts will be issued today / tomorrow and that construction is scheduled to commence 22nd of November....

Have also just checked the Construction Information Service development tracker and the start date was updated today to the 27/11/2017 so hopefully will see them on site in coming weeks.

Good to see the Commencement Notice up on the BCAR Register:

"Phase 1 of development at Rathborne Park, consisting of 60 No. housing units and all associated site works, commencing as part of 208 No. dwellings, a creche (plus associated outdoor playing area) and two 5-a-side playing pitches granted under planning ref: 3604/12"

localgov.ie/node/82790

Got word contract was coming out this week also (haven't heard from solicitor that its arrived yet).

• Advertisement

Got word today that my solicitor received a large pack of documents today with the contract, Nd word from Savills that works are due to start Wednesday and are anticipated to be on programme.

Has anyone had much feedback from their solicitors on the contract packs? anything jumping out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 suci2016

Daithon wrote: »
    Got word today that my solicitor received a large pack of documents today with the contract, Nd word from Savills that works are due to start Wednesday and are anticipated to be on programme.

Has anyone had much feedback from their solicitors on the contract packs? anything jumping out ?

We got the same from Savills today. Also there seemed to be some activity on site today with a few builders on site and a digger has landed ( let’s hope the rest of the cavalry arrive tomorrow)

Our solicitor has raised a number of issues:

1. As expected the contracts are drafted heavily in favour of the builders i.e. 24 month completion period (standard for new builds). Can cause issues with mortgage approval only lasting for 6-12 months

2. General specification supplied in the pack is not much more detailed than what’s in the brochure. The plan of the house is also very basic and has less detailed (measurements) than what’s on the planning site.

3. We’ve been advised that it might be beneficial to employ the services of an independent engineer &/or architect to ensure boundaries are correct, check construction at different stages, and obviously undertake snagging at the end.

4. The Global Home Warranty is a structural warranty scheme (relavitely new scheme) and the sum insured is far less than the value of the property.

Generally very little info on the house we’re buying which is both worrying and disappointing but our solicitor has requested same. No CGIs, no details of finish etc.

For me:

The drawings are vague - no dimensions or square footage detailed (not even subject to tolerances). No elevations included. The drawing spec'ing out the house actually says subject to change. So basically you're contracting to buy the picture but the picture is not guaranteed. I will be asking for the spec with dimensions, elevation and square footage from the planning document to be included.

The management company budget assumes 208 properties - it does not say how the budget will be split for the first 60 houses (before the rest are built). I will be submitting a query on what happens for the first 60.

No clause that the contract is subject to loan offer coming through - this is something that's recommended for inclusion by the Law Society of Ireland when buying off plans. Basically means you can pull out if the bank don't approve you at drawdown (say if you get made redundant in the intervening time period).

They have also have in 24 months to complete the build legally (have 18 months in there but that's crossed out and replaced with 24 months which makes me wonder if they really are on schedule).

Those are the main bits I've asked my solicitor to go back on at the moment. They have a good chunk of legal review to do as well and some other bits but those are the bits I'm most worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

They started clearing the site this morning.

Anyone else not received their contracts yet? I'm on Rathborne View

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dermot mc

Anyone else not received their contracts yet? I'm on Rathborne View
    We haven't received any contact either and we're on Rathborne view also.
    Did anybody else get contracts and if so, were they lacking in detail like the two mentioned above?

Dermot mc wrote: »
    We haven't received any contact either and we're on Rathborne view also.
    Did anybody else get contracts and if so, were they lacking in detail like the two mentioned above?

My understanding is they are standard contracts so they should all be like that. They have to build the houses in line with planning permission anyway so not sure why they don't just put in the specs from the planning in there.

Savills had said they were all sent out Monday so might be worth dropping them a line.

My understanding is they are standard contracts so they should all be like that. They have to build the houses in line with planning permission anyway so not sure why they don't just put in the specs from the planning in there.

Savills had said they were all sent out Monday so might be worth dropping them a line.

Agree with Elainers, the Architect will have to sign off that they have been constructed substantially inline with the Planning drawings, but it would be nice to have a bit more detail.

With regards to the 24 months for construction, again I wouldn't be too worried about this - remember they don't get paid until completion so they will want to finish ASAP to ensure cash flow. In saying this, I will be looking for a reduction in this as 12 months should be a more than adequate enough cushion for them I feel.

My only other main query was regarding parking - there are 3 No. spaces between our property and next door's the one nearest us is dedicated to us but there is no information on how the other two are allocated. I presume that the one nearest our neighbor is allocated to them, not sure about the one in the middle? It may be visitor parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

rdoyle16 wrote: »
    Agree with Elainers, the Architect will have to sign off that they have been constructed substantially inline with the Planning drawings, but it would be nice to have a bit more detail.

With regards to the 24 months for construction, again I wouldn't be too worried about this - remember they don't get paid until completion so they will want to finish ASAP to ensure cash flow. In saying this, I will be looking for a reduction in this as 12 months should be a more than adequate enough cushion for them I feel.

My only other main query was regarding parking - there are 3 No. spaces between our property and next door's the one nearest us is dedicated to us but there is no information on how the other two are allocated. I presume that the one nearest our neighbor is allocated to them, not sure about the one in the middle? It may be visitor parking?

I would say the neighbor has paid for the extra parking spot

• Advertisement

A few things raised below from the contract pack, id be interested if anyone else's has had feed back from their solicitor:

- specs and plans are extremely basic. needs a lot more fleshing out
    - white goods offer is based on signing an unconditional contract (which wouldn't be advisable at this stage)
    - subject to loan clause as noted by another here already
    - structural guarantee ... says developer will register but if this didn't happen the mortgage may not be able to draw down
    - parking spot is dependable on paying the service charge (so you don't own it ??)

just some headline ones above... anyone else got any such items from their solicitor?

Advertisement