Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wit & wisdom of pa trout

• 02-04-2007 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭trout

Brothers ... today is the 18th anniversary of the passing of my old man, pa trout.

I would ask you to raise a virtual glass, for he was truly one of us ... (6 foot 2, 18 stone, massive girth, spear bald since the age of 21, could fart the intro's to many of the top 70's love songs ... you get the picture)

To give you a measure of the man, I would like to share some of the following memories

#1 ... pa trout, to junior trout on his rugby debut "remember son, prop's don't have to get there first, just get there the most".

#2 ... ma trout announcing she was going back to college, to study politics and feminist studies; "we're gonna sweep the country" she says ... pa trout replies "you can start with the kitchen"

#3 ... wedding anniversary card from pa trout to ma trout "10 years married today ... it's well for ya"

#4 ... on hearing about Guinness Lite pa trout announced " ah... it will be good for the hairdressers to have their own beer, and leave the Harp to the wimmin"

pa trout ... we hardly knew ye

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

trout wrote:
    #2 ... ma trout announcing she was going back to college, to study politics and feminist studies; "we're gonna sweep the country" she says ... pa trout replies "you can start with the kitchen"

:D

*Raises glass*
    "Hail to the 'ould Trout !"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Truly a Trout among men, if he was still with us he would be our village elder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

zaph wrote:
    Truly a Trout among men, if he was still with us he would be our village elder.

Perhaps a village ancestor, a symbolic representative through the aeons who has come to embody what BGRH is all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭trout

#5 ... pa trout to anxious trout at the onset of puberty "don't you be worried about yer genitals son ... they'll stand up for themselves"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Brilliant, ya know we should have a proper 'words of wisdom' thread so that esential pieces of advice are chronicled for future generations.

Oh and in yer Da's honour I will deffinitley be spreading some of his wisdom around the barbeque tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Brilliant, ya know we should have a proper 'words of wisdom' thread so that esential pieces of advice are chronicled for future generations.

Oh and in yer Da's honour I will deffinitley be spreading some of his wisdom around the barbeque tonight

Secondededed

5 stars

/tilts glass of Jemmy.

#6 ... pa trout to motorist who fails to respond to green traffic light ... "are you waitin' for a colour you like ?"

#7 .... pa trout to startled motorist who fails to respond to green traffic light, and then cuts out in front of the troutmobile ... "did you get yer licence in a lucky bag ?"

#8 ... pa trout to startled motorist who has now completely flooded their engine "gerrout and milk the fuppin' thing!"

#9 ... pa trout on arriving home with a thirst "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotomy"

# 10 ... pa trout to trout junior who has just stopped a penalty kick with his junior trout nads, and is furiously trying to rub the eye watering pain away "never mind massagin' them son, count them!"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Possibly the wisest words ever spoken. When will the book of Pa Troutisms be available Brother Trout?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

trout wrote:
    Brothers ... today is the 18th anniversary of the passing of my old man, pa trout.

I would ask you to raise a virtual glass, for he was truly one of us ... (6 foot 2, 18 stone, massive girth, spear bald since the age of 21, could fart the intro's to many of the top 70's love songs ... you get the picture)

To give you a measure of the man, I would like to share some of the following memories

#1 ... pa trout, to junior trout on his rugby debut "remember son, prop's don't have to get there first, just get there the most".

#3 ... wedding anniversary card from pa trout to ma trout "10 years married today ... it's well for ya"

#4 ... on hearing about Guinness Lite pa trout announced " ah... it will be good for the hairdressers to have their own beer, and leave the Harp to the wimmin"

Excellent stuff. Didn't think guiness lite *spit* was out for 18 years? Or perhaps the beer has fuddled the source.

*raises glass*

To Pa Trout - All things to all bald fat men.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote:
    Didn't think guiness lite *spit* was out for 18 years?

Must be 20 years now ... that guinness lite one is from the mists of time.

this are a trip down memory lane. (or membry lane, as pa trout would have said) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmm Pa Trout seems to have been a wise old Doob???

Did he ever say when an uncle gave you money"Aaah jaysus,you have a heart as big as a tea chest/church??"

Did he ever say when an uncle gave you money"Aaah jaysus,you have a heart as big as a tea chest/church??"

i have one uncle, and he is an awful stingy miser altogether ... pa trout would say of him "he's that mean, if he was a ghost he wouldn't give you a fright".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

trout wrote:
    i have one uncle, and he is an awful stingy miser altogether ... pa trout would say of him "he's that mean, if he was a ghost he wouldn't give you a fright".

That's fantastic. pa trout for president!

there was a cruel streak to pa trout also, especially if there were chips involved

#11 ... pa trout to anyone with chips on their plate "what the eye don't see ... the heart don't long for!"

at which point he would eat said chips ... regardless of volume, he could eat them all in milliseconds

this behaviour only stopped when i started stabbing him with my fork around age 7 or so :p

#12 ... pa trout to anyone moaning minnies / negative people ... to the jaundiced eye all things are yellow

Brothers ... pa trout appeared to me in a beer induced coma last night, and reminded me of another of his wise and pithy aphorisms...

#13 ... pa trout on observing a lost cause or any futile action "son, remember, ye just can't polish a turd"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

trout wrote:

That statement embodies everything we stand for. His wisdom knows no bounds.

#14 ... pa trout to anyone with a sob story or 'poor me' expression "if you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it in the dictionary ... between sh1t and syphilis"

that one came back to me yesterday, as I passed by the Clare Hall roundabout, to see a chap* selling newspapers. this chap has one good leg, and one that ends above the knee ... he theatrically rests the stump on the handle of his crutch, which as an attention getting device is very effective.:eek:

* at least I think it's a chap ... could also be a lady, if you've seen this person, you'll know why I am confused.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

[QUOTE=trout

* at least I think it's a chap ... could also be a lady, if you seen this person, you'll know why I am confused.
    [/QUOTE]

i know who you mean, after much pondering, i thought, it was a lady - i may be wrong but

• Advertisement

one from the archives, was reminded of this while watching Jet Li's Fearless over the weekend. (pa trout wasn't impressed by whipcord thin fitness fanatic martial artists, he preferred substance over style any day)

#15 ... pa trout observing a display of martial arts ... "that's all well and good son, but i'm tellin' ye now, one good kick in the bollix is worth all the kung fu in China"

words to live by :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

[quote=trout "that's all well and good son, but i'm tellin' ye now, one good kick in the bollix is worth all the kung fu in China"

[/quote]

I'll have to remember that one. Pure fúcking genius :D

some more timeless wisdom from the vaults ... enjoy:)

#16 ... pa trout, whenever he encountered the words "military intelligence" would roar out "Silence! when you speak to an officer" :rolleyes:

#17 ... pa trout, on observing a situation of bad luck would say "remember son, some days you're the dog, and some days you're the lamppost".

• Feckin brilliant stuff altogether, must take notes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

trout wrote:
    #14 ... pa trout to anyone with a sob story or 'poor me' expression "if you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it in the dictionary ... between sh1t and syphilis"

that one came back to me yesterday, as I passed by the Clare Hall roundabout, to see a chap* selling newspapers. this chap has one good leg, and one that ends above the knee ... he theatrically rests the stump on the handle of his crutch, which as an attention getting device is very effective.:eek:

* at least I think it's a chap ... could also be a lady, if you've seen this person, you'll know why I am confused.

I've seen eh...her, She's female but no lady

Brothers & Sisters ... I hope you'll forgive me for dragging up an old thread ... but I feel this wisdom must be preserved for future generations. :)

#18 ... pa trout, on observing a person sweating profusely "jayziz ... he's sweatin' like a Hutu at a Tutsi wedding!"

#19 ... pa trout, on observing an ugly person (pronounced ug-a-ly) "Lookit yer man ... he's a face like a plate full of mortal sins".

#20 ... pa trout, on observing a woman with a hip-swaying walk "jayziz, she's like a bag full of bowling balls".

#21 ... pa trout, on observing someone making a supreme effort "he's shakin' like a goat sh1te-ing coke cans"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Well done trout. Gave me a great laugh

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

trout wrote:
    Brothers & Sisters ... I hope you'll forgive me for dragging up an old thread ... but I feel this wisdom must be preserved for future generations. :)

#18 ... pa trout, on observing a person sweating profusely "jayziz ... he's sweatin' like a Hutu at a Tutsi wedding!"

#19 ... pa trout, on observing an ugly person (pronounced ug-a-ly) "Lookit yer man ... he's a face like a plate full of mortal sins".

#20 ... pa trout, on observing a woman with a hip-swaying walk "jayziz, she's like a bag full of bowling balls".

#21 ... pa trout, on observing someone making a supreme effort "he's shakin' like a goat sh1te-ing coke cans"

LMAO. Great sayings. He sounds like a great man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

trout wrote:

All right I have resisted this as long as I can........

Do you refer to YORE MA as an oul' Trout ? :D

• Advertisement

trout wrote:

Pissing myself after reading that. Please keep them coming Trout.

Advertisement