Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New home and list of jobs before move in.

Options
  • 14-11-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Recently purchased a new home, and after all the paperwork etc, we are trying to do a sequence list of jobs which we need to do before we can practically move in.

Might seem blindingly obvious, but afraid we’ll miss a step and get the order wrong!

So we got keys, and Gas and Electricity Bills/Accounts transferred over.

Of the below, is there any ‘order’ of jobs out of kilter.

Boiler serviced - This is a 30 minute job, right?

New floors

New wardrobes

Interior Painted

Washing machine installed - Also, Plumber I get or plumber provided by shop?

On the property tax, if you bought it in mid September say, and LPT was apportioned at sale, when do I pay the balance for the rest of 2019, or is this typically apportioned for the rest of the year, we don’t have to pay until 2020?

I presume its straightforward to log on online and pay LPT for 2020 on new property?

If the new home is bought, and we are retained ownership of the property we previously lived in until the new property is fit for habitation, do we need to notify Revenue as there is some sort of credit as an owner occupier, and clearly we cant be owner occupiers on both properties at same time?

(Perhaps I am wrong on the latter?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Is the house a new build or 2nd hand?
    You don't pay LPT on new builds.
    If the house was 2nd hand and you bought the house in mid September the property tax will have been paid for this year.
    You would have refunded the previous owner for the months remaining. Your solicitor should have outlined this for you.
    The property will show up on myGov / revenue portal. You can set up an automatic payment on it for the years to follow.
    If you put the washing machine in the same place as the previous owner you won't need a plumber. You only have to connect 2 pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traveller2

Thanks a million StoptheClocks.

Second hand build.

Yes, I was told it was apportioned but as you say solicitor looked after everything so unlikely to be liable until 2020.

And thanks for the input on the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

If you take gas and electric from airtricity you can get a free boiler service every year, if you lock in your contract for 12 months.
    Usually you’ll get a 15% Tarif discount also. I’m sure there are similar deals out there.
    The boiler should have a sticker on it telling you when it’s due a service.
    You can get a plumber recommendation on boards for your area.
    Good luck with your new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Depending on where you buy the washing machine, the shop might install. In some of the bigger chains (maybe all), you can pay a bit extra for them to install. A handyman should be able to install either, you shouldn’t need a plumber (they’re a rare species these days anyhow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

I’d be doing painting as the very last thing. You don’t want washing machine installers hitting off it when bringing in / removing old machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Installing a washing machine is childs play if the plumbing already exists for one (i.e. if you're just putting your one in where the previous owners took theirs out.)

It's a 15 minute job and not one I'd want to pay someone to do.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These days installing a washing machine is literally screwing a hose together and plugging it in. It will take you longer to maneuver it into position than it will to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭The Mulk

awec wrote: »
    These days installing a washing machine is literally screwing two hoses together and plugging it in. It will take you longer to maneuver it into position than it will to install it.

Make sure to remove the transit bolts(read the instructions)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is the house a new build or 2nd hand?
    You don't pay LPT on new builds.
    If the house was 2nd hand and you bought the house in mid September the property tax will have been paid for this year.
    You would have refunded the previous owner for the months remaining. Your solicitor should have outlined this for you.
    The property will show up on myGov / revenue portal. You can set up an automatic payment on it for the years to follow.
    If you put the washing machine in the same place as the previous owner you won't need a plumber. You only have to connect 2 pipes.

We're actually past the 2020 LPT liability date - its whoever owns on 01/11 the previous year - so the previous owners are liable to pay for 2020 but convention is the contract will require the purchaser to refund this to them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

traveller2 wrote: »
    So we got keys, and Gas and Electricity Bills/Accounts transferred over.
    Ring said utility companies and give the numbers that are there now, so you don't pay someone elses bill. Check if there is any other meter, to ensure the last person living there didn't have a pre-paid power box installed.
    traveller2 wrote: »
    New floors
    Paint everything before you put the new floors in. My reasoning is; getting paint on the old floors isn't an issue; cleaning the paint off new carpet is. If you are getting new flooring into the kitchen, and you'll be putting appliances where there was appliances, ensure you check the height with the new flooring.

My this I mean; if, like the below picture, the previous owners washing machine was a tight fit with the old floor, will the washing machine still fit when you install the new flooring? Also, you will need to install the flooring under the washing machine, as otherwise you may encounter problems sliding out the washing machine in the future should you have problems with it.

495422.png

Paint the entire house before you more your stuff in, and before you put the flooring down. Painting around stuff is not fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Don't forget to change the locks on all the exterior doors, you have no idea who else may have copies of those keys

Advertisement