Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite verses / quotes from the Bible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

evangelist wrote: »

“And I (Jesus) will pray (to) the Father, and He will give you another Helper,
    that He may abide with you forever -- the Spirit of truth
    … you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
    I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
    … If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him,
    and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
    … But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
    He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.” (John 14:16-26)

The Greek word here for "another" is "allos" meaning "another of the same kind" (ref: Vine).
    So, the Holy Spirit is another Person of the Triune Godhead (like God the Son).
    It seems to say that ...
    all 3 Persons of the Triune God will come to be with the faithful believer,
    but only the Holy Spirit will remain in him/her forever (i.e. until death),
    and only the Holy Spirit will be the One doing the teaching.
    Interesting, or what?

Hi evangelist. Welcome to the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 evangelist

lmaopml wrote: »
    Hi evangelist. Welcome to the forum :)
    Hi, thanks for the welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I have the strength to face all conditions through the power that Christ gives me. Philippians Ch 4:13

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

St. Paul the Apostle to the Gentiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 23

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

1 Corinthians 13:4

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

[1:1] Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
    To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, [2] according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood:
    May grace and peace be multiplied to you.
    [3] Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, [4] to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, [5] who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
    (1 Peter 1:1-5 ESV)

Peters letter tells us that we are elect according to the foreknowledge of God, He is Father to us, His Spirit has and is sanctifying us for obedience to The Son whose very precious blood has sprinkled us. Because of His mercy, even great mercy as the apostle says, we have a living hope, a real hope, a most certain hope. The Resurrection of Jesus the Christ is our certain hope. Hope that is more real than what we know or see now. Hope that is as the apostle says is imperishable, undefiled and unfading. "God's power is guarding us through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed at the last time" You couldn't word it any better that that! What good news this is.

Please Yes and Amen if you are edified by this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Lapis lazuli

Matthew 6:33 "But, Seek Ye First The Kingdom Of God"

The words of Jesus are always worth heeding carefully.

The Kingdom of God is an important concept reffered to throughout the New Testament, but what it means for the here and now, today on earth for all of us, is not often talked about or preached on these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Lapis lazuli

"Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten.

Your gold and silver have rusted, and their rust will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire.

You have laid up treasure for the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts.

You have lived on the earth in luxury and in pleasure; you have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.

You have condemned, you have killed the righteous man; he does not resist you"

James 5:1-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Paul - Romans 7:18-25
    For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Hann56

I have seen the light of the gospel in these verses;
    1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
    1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
    1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
    For many years I was tossed to and fro, not knowing if I have salvation or not.
    Let God speak through the scriptures.
    Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Browny12

I like these two verses:
    Romans 8:38-39 “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Second Chronicles 16:9 “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him. You have done foolishly in this, for from now on you will have wars.”

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me..Restore to me the joy of your salvation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Georgie.Girl

I am no scriptorian, but a few quotes have given me solace in trying moments.....literally

I cannot quote the book or verses...but here goes...

Peace, be still (said to whatever storm comes my way)

Be still and know that I am God (good to know someone is in charge)

Jesus wept (touches my heart)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

I am no scriptorian, but a few quotes have given me solace in trying moments.....literally

I cannot quote the book or verses...but here goes...

Peace, be still (said to whatever storm comes my way)

Be still and know that I am God (good to know someone is in charge)

Jesus wept (touches my heart)

Dear Georgie, those are beautiful quotes and thoughts.

In case you ever want to find and read the full passages they are based on:

"And rising up, he rebuked the wind, and said to the sea: Peace, be still. And the wind ceased: and there was made a great calm. "
    - New Testament, The Gospel of Mark, Chapter 4, Verse Number 39
    (This reference can also be written as Mark 4:19, i.e. "Book Chaper:Verse" format)

"making wars to cease even to the end of the earth. He shall destroy the bow, and break the weapons: and the shield he shall burn in the fire. Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, and I will be exalted in the earth" - Old Testament, Book of Psalms, Psalm number 46, verses 9 and 10. (Can also be written as Psalm 46:9-10)

"When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. "Where have you laid him?" he asked. "Come and see, Lord," they replied. Jesus wept. "
    - New Testament, Gospel of John, Chapter 11, verses 33-35
    (Can also be written as John 11:33-35)

God Bless

CT

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

"I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?” Jeremiah 32:27

“Jesus looked at them and said, with man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.
    Titus 2:11-14

Matthew 16:19, 27
    And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
    For the SON OF GOD shall come in the Glory of his FATHER with his Angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

1) Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith, be men of courage, be strong.

Luke 12:32 (KJV): Fear not, little flock; for it is your FATHER's good pleasure to give you the Kingdom.

• Advertisement

Trust in Him at all times, you people;
    Pour out your heart before Him;
    God is a refuge for us.
    (Psalm 62)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Job 7:14

Thou dost frighten me with dreams and terrify me by visions.

Job 5:4 "His children are far from safety, they will be crushed at the gate without a rescuer"

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I'm not a terribly religious person at all but a quote I've always loved as it can be interpreted with the idea of karma is:

"Is méanar do lucht na trócaire, óir déanfar trócaire orthu."

Or in English:

"Blessed are the merciful for they shall have mercy shown unto them."

Matha 5:7/Matthew 5:7.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭EirWatchr

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.
    Matthew 16:18-19

Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee.
    He said to him: Feed my sheep.
    John 21:17

Be you also as living stones built up, a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
    [..]
    To you therefore that believe, he is honour: but to them that believe not, the stone which the builders rejected, the same is made the head of the corner:
    And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of scandal, to them who stumble at the word, neither do believe, whereunto also they are set.
    But you are a chosen generation, a kingly priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people: that you may declare his virtues, who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light
    [..]
    For you were as sheep going astray; but you are now converted to the shepherd and bishop of your souls.
    1 Peter 2:5-25

If you do not spend your money in doing good to others. it follows that you must spend it in harming yourself. Now these are the true results in riches spent on ourselves in worthless and needless expenses, and when used recklessly where there is no "real" need. We only succeed in using them to our own harm by creating "unreasonable" desires, nourishing bad qualities, indulging our passions and supporting a worldly, empty, attitude of mind.

For high eating and drinking, fine clothes and big houses, status, worldly pleasures and distractions, all harm and distort [defile] our hearts and minds. They are the food and nourishment of all the stupidity and weakness of our human nature. They are sure ways of making us worthless and worldly in our characters. They support things that ought not to be supported; they are contrary to that sobriety and devotion of heart which relishes Divine things; they are like so many weights upon our minds, which make us less able and less inclined to lift up our thoughts and affections to higher things, things that are above.

...."And He [the Father] raised us up together with Him and made us sit down together [giving us joint seating with Him] in the heavenly sphere [by virtue of our being] in Christ Jesus [the Messiah, the Anointed One]".... Ephesians 2:6 The Amplified Translation

...."Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God".... Colossians 3:1-3 NASB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cavu

Isaiah 40:31

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Surviving on this, presently: "Peace, be still"

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭A_Lost_Man

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭A_Lost_Man

let the father cry for what he did to his son

Advertisement