Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armstrong Cup 2018-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

zeitnot wrote: »
    I thought Gonzaga 'B' was going to be "Loyola".

We’d need to start back in division 6 for that. Also would have no subs :/

Bray 4.5-3.5 Blanchardstown

Assume the games involving Dublin and Benildus are postponed until after the ECC.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

With the exception of Division 4, the results are very slow to be published :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

With the exception of Division 4, the results are very slow to be published :-(

Agreed.I really don't see why they can't be published soon after the matches ending, if not by the league controller then by the captains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Agreed; we wouldn't have to spend so much time here exchanging information if the LCU site was kept up to date.

Is it true the Benildus and Dublin matches yesterday were completely postponed, or only some of the boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Is it true the Benildus and Dublin matches yesterday were completely postponed, or only some of the boards?
    Benildus played all but one board, as far as I know. I haven't heard a result.

• Advertisement

Is there another league anywhere in the world, in any sport, where results aren't known until days after the games are played?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 prey

From Sean Coffey's site - Bray did win the Armstrong twice:
    http://www.irlchess.com/teamevents/armstrong-cup/

Indeed. Bray also defended the title in 2001, finishing =1st.
    On the day the cup was quickly awarded to Crumlin on the basis of board count in the individual match, a 4-4 draw.
    It quickly became clear that no tiebreak was in force -the tiebreak used was taken from the promotion/relegation rule section and did not apply.
    It also soon became clear during an utterly shambolic appeal process that this was not going to be corrected.
    A subsequent AGM amended the tiebreak rule to apply to all league positions but did not address the 2001 anomaly.

IMO the only correct decision in 2001 was to hold a playoff match and a review now should accept the 2001 Armstrong as a shared title.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Is there another league anywhere in the world, in any sport, where results aren't known until days after the games are played?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

prey wrote: »
    From Sean Coffey's site - Bray did win the Armstrong twice:
    http://www.irlchess.com/teamevents/armstrong-cup/
    For most years the results there are simply taken from David McAlister's site: https://irishchesshistory.wordpress.com/provinces/armstrong-cup/ including 1999, 2000, and 2001. That site also gives full season totals.

mikhail wrote: »
    Yes.
    Yes? Can you back that up or is this another offhand statement like the one you made about "numerous reasons" for the ICU and UCU merging when you couldn't even tell us one good reason?

• Advertisement

Yes? Can you back that up
    Yes.

mikhail wrote: »
    Yes.

(_x_)

From the ICU results bar: Benildus 4-3 Balbriggan

Current table as best I can see:

Trinity 11/15
    Elm Mount 9.5/16
    Bray 9/15
    Blanch 8.5/16
    Benildus 7/15
    Balbriggan 6.5/15
    Rathmines 6/15
    Gonzaga B 5.5/8
    Gonzaga A 4/8
    Dublin 4/8
    Dun Laoghaire 3.5/16
    Kilkenny 2.5/7

Gonzaga "B" are 5.5/7 but hopefully that will change to 5.5/8 after tonight's battle of the MCs, (Mc Morrow and Mc Cabe)

We're 1-0 down to the A team currently with most of those games due to played this week; hence 5.5/8 currently (5.5/7 from Rathmines and 0/1 from the A match)

Draw in the game tonight so 6-2 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

Draw in the game tonight so 6-2 overall.
    Thanks for the prompt update!

Re the other reports, 75 years ago and more results were available in the paper the next day. It's surprising that the net result of all the changes since then has been that the wait has stretched to weeks.

We're 1-0 down to the A team currently with most of those games due to played this week; hence 5.5/8 currently (5.5/7 from Rathmines and 0/1 from the A match)

“We’re 1-0 down etc.” lacks clarity :-(
    Please state team names and round number!
    Posts like “R2 Dun Laoghaire 2.5-5.5 Elm Mount “ are clear to everyone :-)

“We’re 1-0 down etc.” lacks clarity :-(
    Please state team names and round number!
    Posts like “R2 Dun Laoghaire 2.5-5.5 Elm Mount “ are clear to everyone :-)

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out that the "WE" mentioned must be the "B" team. Elementary my dear Watson!

Still no updated Armstrong results :-(

• Advertisement

Still no updated Armstrong results :-(

I'm sure that they got the results quicker in 1888 when the Armstrong started.
    I really don't see why team captains can't be given the means to update the site themselves instead of this ridiculous delay.

The Rathmines captain and I input our result on Monday and Tuesday this week so must be awaiting approval from an admin.

Gonzaga B 0.5-2.5 Gonzaga A. One game tonight, 2 on Saturday, one next Wednesday. Not sure about the other game but should be within the next week.

The Rathmines captain and I input our result on Monday and Tuesday this week so must be awaiting approval from an admin.

Gonzaga B 0.5-2.5 Gonzaga A. One game tonight, 2 on Saturday, one next Wednesday. Not sure about the other game but should be within the next week.

There is almost an entire second round that needs to be updated.There has got to be a better system for updating the Armstrong results than the LCU way.
    While we are talking about the LCU , whatever happened to the Branagan Cup last season, why wasn't it played?
    Of course there is always the possibility that maybe it was played and the results just haven't been updated yet.

Not ideal but for now - current standings (I think):
    Trinity 11/15
    Elm Mount 9.5/16
    Bray 9/15
    Blanch 8.5/16
    Benildus 7/15
    Gonzaga B 6.5/11
    Balbriggan 6.5/15
    Rathmines 6.5/15
    Gonzaga A 5.5/10
    Dublin 4/8
    Dun Laoghaire 3.5/16
    Kilkenny 2.5/7

Rathmines 6.6/16

I'm sure that they got the results quicker in 1888 when the Armstrong started.
    I really don't see why team captains can't be given the means to update the site themselves instead of this ridiculous delay.

Yes, in the early years results were promptly reported by Thomas Rowland in his column for the Dublin Evening Mail. Some of the games got published too.

Yes, in the early years results were promptly reported by Thomas Rowland in his column for the Dublin Evening Mail. Some of the games got published too.
    I'm sure you remember those days well although you must have been quite young at the time.;)

Armstrong results updated now on the LCU site.

Update: Gonzaga A 2.5-1.5 Gonzaga B

Armstrong results updated now on the LCU site.

Update: Gonzaga A 2.5-1.5 Gonzaga B

Two games played this afternoon alongside the Sona Youth Cup, and the B team drew one of them, so now:
    R1 Gonzaga A 4 Gonzaga B 2, two to play.

Gonzaga A unfortunately won the last two games to be played against Trinity so that round 2 match finished 4-4, which incidentally was also the score the last time Gonzaga didn't win the Armstrong.

So, after two rounds, Trinity (on 11/16) will still be at least one point ahead of Gonzaga A with Elm Mount on 9.5 and Bray on 9 (1), apparently still not having played their first round top board game.

As Kilkenny have nine (!) unreported results, it's hard to know how they stand. Were they playing Dublin Chess Club today?

In order for rounds 1 and 2 to be reported for FIDE rating in time for the November list, any outstanding games really need to be played and officially reported by LCU to ICU by next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Is there an up to date league table somewhere?

Advertisement