Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

This post has been deleted.

Iv just finished renovating a similar house in Turners Cross. House was a state when we were looking at it yet there was still a 5 way bidding war at one point (March last year). We luckily went sale agreed on our very last bid but paid well above asking. There was a stage of the SA process where we almost pulled out, the estate agent was very clear to us that he would be delighted to put the property back on the market because in the 4 months since we went SA, he reckons the price would have went up even more than what we paid, he was certainly putting the push on us but from research he was also telling the truth. I got lucky, but I have another friend going through it now since the start of the year and he said he's either going to have to move to Midleton or Mallow, or give up on getting a house in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

150-200k. House was a state as I said, but looking at it now I realise how lucky I got. Going on stories Iv heard, no way I would have got that lucky if it was this year instead of last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

CHealy wrote: »
    Iv just finished renovating a similar house in Turners Cross. House was a state when we were looking at it yet there was still a 5 way bidding war at one point (March last year). We luckily went sale agreed on our very last bid but paid well above asking. There was a stage of the SA process where we almost pulled out, the estate agent was very clear to us that he would be delighted to put the property back on the market because in the 4 months since we went SA, he reckons the price would have went up even more than what we paid, he was certainly putting the push on us but from research he was also telling the truth. I got lucky, but I have another friend going through it now since the start of the year and he said he's either going to have to move to Midleton or Mallow, or give up on getting a house in the city.

Congrats on your purchase !! I can totally relate to this and really accurate to what is going on in the city market. Going through it all myself at the moment - Very stressful. Am a single buyer with a 300k budget and its does not seem to be enough at minute - supply is the killer in my mind . Set up alerts for Cork City for anything new under 300k in daft or my home and you will see how little traffic comes in from it . Lucky to get 2 a week - some weeks nothing come is

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Galwayforliam

Belarmine Woods Stepaside final phase just launched - lovely houses- anyone know what they’re selling for?!

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/new-homes-for-sale/belarmine-woods-belarmine-woods-stepaside-dublin-104215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

optogirl wrote: »
    Plenty of property in Dublin 15 under 300k. No property crisies yet

ah come off it

Your point is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭McGrath5

An awful amount of common sense spoken by Karl Deeter, in conversation with Eamon Dunphy. A bit long, but well worth the listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-stand-with-eamon-dunphy/id1178026212?mt=2&i=1000402592157

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AM258

Westfield in Leixlip launching today, first phase - 3 bed from €365k, 4 beds from €440k and 5 beds from €525k. Mostly semi’s. Since when is there a difference of €75k per bedroom? Can’t imagine the 4 and 5 beds will sell at those prices - the last 4 beds in Beechpark (across the road) are selling for c. €400k. 3 cars queuing at 10:30pm last night and 7 queuing at 8 this morning...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

AM258 wrote: »
    Westfield in Leixlip launching today, first phase - 3 bed from €365k, 4 beds from €440k and 5 beds from €525k. Mostly semi’s. Since when is there a difference of €75k per bedroom? Can’t imagine the 4 and 5 beds will sell at those prices - the last 4 beds in Beechpark (across the road) are selling for c. €400k. 3 cars queuing at 10:30pm last night and 7 queuing at 8 this morning...

They just might- Leixlip is rapidly becoming considered a better address than Maynooth or Lucan (particularly in light of the development across from the halting site in Maynooth- and the entire Clonburris mess that is haunting Lucan).

The prices do seem a bit aspirational- but they just might get them. I think they're set too high- but its possible other people may disagree...........

Leixlip is seen as not suffering from the ills that have been haunting Lucan and Maynooth- however, that too, may soon change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 steOO7

They just might- Leixlip is rapidly becoming considered a better address than Maynooth or Lucan (particularly in light of the development across from the halting site in Maynooth- and the entire Clonburris mess that is haunting Lucan).

The prices do seem a bit aspirational- but they just might get them. I think they're set too high- but its possible other people may disagree...........

Leixlip is seen as not suffering from the ills that have been haunting Lucan and Maynooth- however, that too, may soon change.

Can you expand on your point about the development across the road from the halting site in Maynooth? I know of people living there a couple of months now with no issues so wondering what you are referring to? It's also somewhere I am currently looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

steOO7 wrote:
    Can you expand on your point about the development across the road from the halting site in Maynooth? I know of people living there a couple of months now with no issues so wondering what you are referring to? It's also somewhere I am currently looking at.

I think his point starts and ends with it's across the road from a halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 steOO7

I think his point starts and ends with it's across the road from a halting site.

So one new development across the road from a halting site brings down the whole reputation of the town? Doesn't really make any sense to me.

steOO7 wrote: »

Best thing you can do- is pop into the local Garda barracks and have a chat with them about the areas they currently have issues with. They're very helpful- and will give you a good picture- without specifics. I have had personal trouble with some of the residents there in the past- that I'd rather not describe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

McGrath5 wrote: »
    An awful amount of common sense spoken by Karl Deeter, in conversation with Eamon Dunphy. A bit long, but well worth the listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-stand-with-eamon-dunphy/id1178026212?mt=2&i=1000402592157

Loved Dunphy's squirming when he called out Ruth Coppinger's hypocrisy of voting against development after development when she was a Councillor (unelected) and suddenly whinging about no houses being built when she became a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

whatever76 wrote: »
    Congrats on your purchase !! I can totally relate to this and really accurate to what is going on in the city market. Going through it all myself at the moment - Very stressful. Am a single buyer with a 300k budget and its does not seem to be enough at minute - supply is the killer in my mind . Set up alerts for Cork City for anything new under 300k in daft or my home and you will see how little traffic comes in from it . Lucky to get 2 a week - some weeks nothing come is

I’m the exact same place as you. 250-300 is my budget. Very little. Plenty two bed duplexes in Rochestown area though but they need a lot of work aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Loved Dunphy's squirming when he called out Ruth Coppinger's hypocrisy of voting against development after development when she was a Councillor (unelected) and suddenly whinging about no houses being built when she became a TD.

Thought it was excellent too. Only disagreed with him on first time buyers 5% payment point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

5 beds are much bigger houses over 600sq feet bigger and appear cheaper per sq foot

Cyrus wrote: »
    5 beds are much bigger houses over 600sq feet bigger and appear cheaper per sq foot

True, but they’re still a semi with a small garden - and from what I can see the extra space is coming from what is essentially an attic conversion (they’re 2 story at the back). I’m not trying to take away from them - they look like lovely houses and seem to be well finished. I just don’t see a justification for those prices when you look at what everything else is selling for in the local area. 5 bed detached houses in Maynooth within walking distance of the town with regular bus service and plenty of amenities on your doorstep were selling for similar prices not long ago. Similarly 5 bed detached houses in Glen Easton which is a well established estate selling for c. €500k recently. With more amenities and access to public transport I can see those prices but not as things are currently, especially not for the first phase of the development. Seems to me like the builders and auctioneers are getting carried away with the hype of what’s written in the papers.

True, but they’re still a semi with a small garden - and from what I can see the extra space is coming from what is essentially an attic conversion (they’re 2 story at the back). I’m not trying to take away from them - they look like lovely houses and seem to be well finished. I just don’t see a justification for those prices when you look at what everything else is selling for in the local area. 5 bed detached houses in Maynooth within walking distance of the town with regular bus service and plenty of amenities on your doorstep were selling for similar prices not long ago. Similarly 5 bed detached houses in Glen Easton which is a well established estate selling for c. €500k recently. With more amenities and access to public transport I can see those prices but not as things are currently, especially not for the first phase of the development. Seems to me like the builders and auctioneers are getting carried away with the hype of what’s written in the papers.

It’ll be interesting to see I guess. You have to factor in that these new houses have a better ber and generally more square footage versus the equivalent second hand house . Also even if it is a converted attic it’ll comply with building regs whereas most others aren’t .

I don’t have any interest in these houses but having bought a new build myself I can see why people might pay a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Villa05

Cyrus wrote:
    I don’t have any interest in these houses but having bought a new build myself I can see why people might pay a bit more

There is a premium to be paid for a tried and trusted estate also.

With new estates shoddy workmanship, inferior material issues may not become apparent until a few years of living in the house.

Maybe both premiums cancel each other out

• Advertisement

Villa05 wrote: »
    There is a premium to be paid for a tried and trusted estate also.

With new estates shoddy workmanship, inferior material issues may not become apparent until a few years of living in the house.

Maybe both premiums cancel each other out

They don’t appear to , although if you factor in the cost of getting an older house to the size and somewhere close to the energy efficiency of a new one it will end up more expensive although you may we’ll end up with a larger garden.

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’ll be interesting to see I guess. You have to factor in that these new houses have a better ber and generally more square footage versus the equivalent second hand house . Also even if it is a converted attic it’ll comply with building regs whereas most others aren’t .

The logical thing to do- would be buy the 4 bed- and spend 20k on a super-duper loft conversion yourself?

There are plenty of builders out there now- who are doing nothing aside from Attic conversions (including a few in the general Lucan/Leixlip/Maynooth areas).

Lets see what happens with the prices for these- they seem ridiculous to me- and many others- but perhaps we're being cynical and they'll sell like hotcakes?

The logical thing to do- would be buy the 4 bed- and spend 20k on a super-duper loft conversion yourself?

There are plenty of builders out there now- who are doing nothing aside from Attic conversions (including a few in the general Lucan/Leixlip/Maynooth areas).

Lets see what happens with the prices for these- they seem ridiculous to me- and many others- but perhaps we're being cynical and they'll sell like hotcakes?

Would 20k do a super loft conversion to meet building regs ? And i presume it won’t create an extra 600sq feet of habitable space

Just went for a look, very busy - queuing to be let into the car park. The show houses were lovely as they always are. Pretty much all the 3 beds were sold but they were the only ones that were priced realistically. Think a couple of the 4 beds may have sold and maybe 1 of the 5 beds.

The 4beds are essentially the same as the new ones in Beech Park which were still on sale at about €400k this weekend. I’d imagine the last of those will be gone by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Just went for a look, very busy - queuing to be let into the car park. The show houses were lovely as they always are. Pretty much all the 3 beds were sold but they were the only ones that were priced realistically. Think a couple of the 4 beds may have sold and maybe 1 of the 5 beds.

The 4beds are essentially the same as the new ones in Beech Park which were still on sale at about €400k this weekend. I’d imagine the last of those will be gone by Monday.

Was just coming in to post the same. The houses are lovely, good size and a nice layout. I think they will sell out in the coming weeks and could well see an increase in price by the time the second phase is launched. Although by then they’re could be other new estates in Leixlip which might impact on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Was in the leixlip ones today too. The 4 beds are mental money. But theres 6 new ones gone up in moyglare in maynooth priced at 460 for 4 beds too so that'd how the market is going.

On the new vs old debate, I bought a 4 bed in celbridge recently (November) for 370 k. I know it doesnt have the ber of a new build, but at nearly 90 k less than the ones in maynooth im happy enough to retrofit to get it there.

Also as an aside on the leixlip ones, they are comfortably a 45 min walk to the nearest village, and are served by one bus route that only runs during commute times. Yes they are technically in leixlip, but in my opinion they aren't very well served currently. I'd expect that to change though with the level of building down there. But until then people are going to be tied to their cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

What's the procedure for buying off the plans and for payment of the mortgage money from the bank to the developer.
    Does it all happen at the end or is it in staged payments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

kala85 wrote: »
    What's the procedure for buying off the plans and for payment of the mortgage money from the bank to the developer.
    Does it all happen at the end or is it in staged payments

You put down a small deposit and engage the normal process of buying a house(loan approval, solicitor, bank loan offer etc). Then you get contracts off the seller, drop a non-refundable deposit(usually around 10%) and draw down the mortgage around the time the house is completed and you can move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

You put down a small deposit and engage the normal process of buying a house(loan approval, solicitor, bank loan offer etc). Then you get contracts off the seller, drop a non-refundable deposit(usually around 10%) and draw down the mortgage around the time the house is completed and you can move in.

Ok has staged payments for new builds finished.

What would happen if the builder went bust while the houses were being built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

kala85 wrote: »
    Ok has staged payments for new builds finished.

What would happen if the builder went bust while the houses were being built.

Staged payments if your doing your own build. Builder sources his own financing. You don't pay for the house until its finished, you also don't own the house until its finished.

Large scale developments are usually done in phases to help with financing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement