Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The restrictions are indeed based on the amount you want to draw down, not the total house price.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The restrictions are indeed based on the amount you want to draw down, not the total house price.

Deposit required is on the cost of the property I thought.
    Max amount of borrowings is based off of salary.

In this case, youcancallmeal needs a combined salary of €100k to get a loan of €350k, and as mentioned 58k of a deposit. Plus about 5-6k in other fees. So a 400k house wont need the full €350k mortgage since the deposit is 58k.

Thats my understanding of it.

Deposit required is on the cost of the property I thought.
    Max amount of borrowings is based off of salary.

In this case, youcancallmeal needs a combined salary of €100k to get a loan of €350k, and as mentioned 58k of a deposit. Plus about 5-6k in other fees. So a 400k house wont need the full €350k mortgage since the deposit is 58k.

Thats my understanding of it.

Sorry, I think I got myself confused. What you're saying is correct. The deposit needed is indeed based on the full cost of the house. 10% of the first 220K, then 20% after that. For a 400K house you would need to borrow 342K and have 58K deposit. You would actually need about 63K or 64K saving however as the bank will require you to have stamp duty etc.

It's the restrictions of 3.5 times your annual salary that is based on the mortgage rather than the overall cost of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

The restrictions are a good thing in some sense but can really put off the likes of yourself with the 350k/400k as the deposit is so high. I'm kinda lucky that I can only go as far as 150k and would probably get a 3/4 bed semi for less then that amount in my area. My plan is to buy a house worth around 100/130k and then hopefully after a few years I'll try and build as I only see this house hopefully as a starter and then move up but you never know I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Santy2015 wrote: »
    The restrictions are a good thing in some sense but can really put off the likes of yourself with the 350k/400k as the deposit is so high. I'm kinda lucky that I can only go as far as 150k and would probably get a 3/4 bed semi for less then that amount in my area. My plan is to buy a house worth around 100/130k and then hopefully after a few years I'll try and build as I only see this house hopefully as a starter and then move up but you never know I suppose

I would be looking to buy a house and live there for at least the next 30 years. In Dublin it certainly seems like a bad idea to buy a house with the intention of trading up in future. I've seen so many people get stung like this and now stuck in 2 bed house/apartments with 2/3 children.

• Advertisement

Just looking for a few tips, it seems that we will probably go for approval in January/February next year, there's a house within our budget that I think will be picked up quickly in the new year. Do you pay the estate agent a payment that'll go towards your deposit? We know we'll have enough to secure a house but will take a bit to get the keys as I know a couple who had to wait nearly 8 months to get the keys off the developers

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Do you pay the estate agent a payment that'll go towards your deposit?

Yeah - usually 5k
    We know we'll have enough to secure a house but will take a bit to get the keys as I know a couple who had to wait nearly 8 months to get the keys off the developers

Just remember a valuation is only valid for 2 months now - leave this until you know the exact date or you could pay twice. Will be around €130.

Yeah - usually 5k
    Thanks, I knew there was a payment, yeah that couple had a problem, they were told the owner wanted 10k extra after agreeing a deal which I find strange to be honest

Yeah - usually 5k

It depends on the estate agent and sometimes the value of the house. We had to give 10K.

Perfect thanks. We're both excited and scared about the buying process. Just trying to get all the facts and tips possible before we go for approval

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Perfect thanks. We're both excited and scared about the buying process. Just trying to get all the facts and tips possible before we go for approval

So scared by it too. I don't know where to start. What should we do first? Look for a propertyo r talk to a bank?

Bananaleaf wrote:
    So scared by it too. I don't know where to start. What should we do first? Look for a propertyo r talk to a bank
    Once we got engaged I started ringing banks to get a jist as to what we could borrow, I was getting vague answers so I rang the Ebs to set up a mortgage meeting and to open a joint savings account with herself, they told us not bother and to keep saving in the credit union which o found strange but they were very helpful with giving us an idea of what we could afford and the bank of Ireland were too. Go to the bank first and see what you afford. What's getting us is the amount we need to save for furnishings and solicitors, I'm hoping to have enough saved for deposit, solicitor stamp duty and surveyor. We want to buy asap but obviously get the house we both want and can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I would be looking to buy a house and live there for at least the next 30 years. In Dublin it certainly seems like a bad idea to buy a house with the intention of trading up in future. I've seen so many people get stung like this and now stuck in 2 bed house/apartments with 2/3 children.

That's what we're hoping to do too. Trouble is that means saving a sizeable deposit :/

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

With the new lending rules buying a €400k house requires a deposit of €58k for a first time buyer. If you try to trade up to a €500k house later on you'll need €100k deposit as a second time buyer.

Even if house prices don't rise, over ten years you could pay down a reasonable amount of capital. Combine that with the initial deposit & you'd have the deposit to trade up. Peoples salaries tend to move upwards during their career.

It's very difficult to plan your whole life to fit in with the first house purchase. Lives & needs change over time.

Trading up will still be possible even if the lending rules stay in place forever. And that's s big if.

I've purchased four houses over twenty years & feel I am in the house that I will stay in. I wouldn't call each house before this a stepping stone to get here because that makes it sound like those weren't good houses or happy years. I was happy to live in each of those houses & they were right for our budget and stage of life at the time.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    So scared by it too. I don't know where to start. What should we do first? Look for a propertyo r talk to a bank?

There's no reason to do one first then the other. Do them at the same time.
    Kick off the mortgage application, the bank will be able to tell you very quickly roughly how much you should qualify for very quickly and always go for a max approval, it is no problem asking for lower afterwards. Then start looking straight away.

You should already have mortgage approval by the time you get to offer stage. During bidding it is a big advantage if you are ready to draw down compared to those waiting for approval or need to sell their house first, this could be the difference between you and another bidder.

I find the below guide quite straight forward and easy to follow.

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/buying-a-home
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/buying-a-home-step-by-step-guide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

You'll be grand! Just think of the post a while back in the thread about the first night in the house, eating a takeaway on the back step!!

And "christening" all of the rooms :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

You'll be grand! Just think of the post a while back in the thread about the first night in the house, eating a takeaway on the back step!!

And "christening" all of the rooms :pac:

Lol :-) That was my post about the chips on the back step on the first night. I don't think I shared anything about christening all the rooms though. That's obviously Chipping Sodbury's plan ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

just a couple of things after reading the post - we only bought our house 3 weeks ago and have moved in etc.

Stamp Duty 1%
    Valuation - €150
    Solicitors Fees - we were advised by the bank that it would be circa 1500 but our Solicitor was 2000 and i said that i was advised 1500 and he said he couldnt see that because of registery costs etc.
    ESB & Gas can charge to reconnect if the property has been empty... if empty for longer than 6 months or a year it can be expensive

If you were going for a house @ 120,000 - i would recommend that you have 16k at least - remember tho... its a slow drawn out process so we were saving 1000 a month and when we had the 10% and stamp duty we applied and continued to save which meant that we had about 4k for all the other expenses.

We also got a new suite of furniture - from DFS - it took 6 weeks to make and deliver and they delivered on the day we got the keys - same with Harvey Norman - we had everything ordered and paid in advance. I rang them to send it to the address on our closing day which was no problem

Best of luck with saving - its brutal when your renting but its worth it when you get the keys

April 73 wrote: »
    Lol :-) That was my post about the chips on the back step on the first night. I don't think I shared anything about christening all the rooms though. That's obviously Chipping Sodbury's plan ;-)

Some guy mentioned all of the "essentials" like 2 TVs, dishwasher etc.

Blinds or curtains on one or two of the rooms are "essentials" :P

It's a great journey to be starting on as long as you don't overstretch on the financials: it's better to be happy in a small house than stressed in one that you can't really afford. I, like you, can still remember the feeling of opening the front door for the first time as the owners even though it's 14 years ago. We didn't have the chips on the back step: we were posh and bought a house with blinds!!!

Solicitors Fees - we were advised by the bank that it would be circa 1500 but our Solicitor was 2000 and i said that i was advised 1500 and he said he couldnt
    Yeah they told me between 1000/1500 for a solicitor, I'm not too worried about the surveyor as one of my friends is in that line of work and will sort me out. The killer for us is the furnishing of a house, I know that we'll have 15/16k come May next year and that would cover all deposit, etc..

• Advertisement

Don't worry too much about furniture: you only need the essentials.
    Bed (Ikea ~€300) + bedclothes/ duvet €100
    Kitchen table/ chairs (Donedeal)
    Kitchenware: pots/ pans/ cutlery/ plates etc Ikea ~€100
    Cooker: plenty less than €100 on donedeal
    Washing Machine: plenty around €100 on donedeal

I'm no expert on shopping but that's just the result of a quick poke around online. Don't forget, hopefully you'll get housewarming pressies from your family/ friends too.

Don't go stressing out, you don't have to buy everything new and now. You've got your whole life in front of you for gathering "stuff"!

Don't worry too much about furniture: you only need the essentials.
    Bed (Ikea ~€300) + bedclothes/ duvet €100
    Kitchen table/ chairs (Donedeal)
    Kitchenware: pots/ pans/ cutlery/ plates etc Ikea ~€100
    Cooker: plenty less than €100 on donedeal
    Washing Machine: plenty around €100 on donedeal

I'm no expert on shopping but that's just the result of a quick poke around online. Don't forget, hopefully you'll get housewarming pressies from your family/ friends too.

Don't go stressing out, you don't have to buy everything new and now. You've got your whole life in front of you for gathering "stuff"!

Completely agree. Get the basic essentials. Second hand will do. Build up the furniture and stuff over the years and enjoy it. I'm moving into my new house soon and i'll be on a beanbag for the first moth or two.

Thanks, we're both itching to move out since we got engaged, want to get the house sorted first though. All your answers help. I think ikea and done deal will be used plenty ;)

Going to Ikea as as good as any pre-marriage course: it tests the relationship!!

Very true words, it'll be on us before we know it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

We will be looking for about 160k. We already have 25k but not ready to start thinking about anything for another year probably. Maybe less. It's very overwhelming and we both have little time after work to even sit down and think about it all. We aim to have at least 40k by this time next year so will be a very decent amount to start with.

Bananaleaf wrote:
    We will be looking for about 160k. We already have 25k but not ready to start thinking about anything for another year probably. Maybe less. It's very overwhelming and we both have little time after work to even sit down and think about it all. We aim to have at least 40k by this time next year so will be a very decent amount to start with.
    that's brilliant, ye are well on yer way. I'd love to be able to save more and to save for longer but we both think we need to get out of our parents houses and move on, I've been in full time work since I was 19 and I know myself it's time I used my money for a house.

<mod snip>

Mod note Please do not post identical posts on two threads on the same forum. I've left the post in the property market thread.

Question, myself and my fiancÃ႒©e are both with bank of Ireland but different branches. Does it matter which branch we go to for a mortgage? I'm sure it doesn't matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Not at all. You don't even have to be a customer of the bank you get the mortgage from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement