Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ERG89 wrote: »
    A lot of games were announced for the one date in February at E3 weren't they? Feels like a Mandela effect now cause they are more spread out.
    Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Devil May Cry 5, Anthem, Days Gone(which I knew was delayed), Metro Exodus & the Division 2.

Detective Pikachu looks 10x better than it has any right to be but I'll be a bit cautious until reviews land. Movie trailers are worse than game ones to make a turd look polished, I remember Jurassic World 2 made it look like Goldblum was a key part & the Batman vs Superman look like the Dark Knight returns. :mad:

Id say a lot of it has to do with everyone getting out of the way of a certain cowboy simulator. - TBH, I think its a good thing, its painful having a blast of games all coming out at once in october / novermber - theres always one or two titles you pick up, but end up not touching much till much later anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't know if it was officially announced yet, but PUBG coming to PS4 on December 7th

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1062375705563090944

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Will Sony bollox it up the way they did Fortnite in relation to people's accounts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Shiminay wrote: »
    Will Sony bollox it up the way they did Fortnite in relation to people's accounts etc?

That issue was down to the link between the Epic account and the PS account.
    With PUBG, you'll only have the PS account (and no crossplay).

That issue was down to the link between the Epic account and the PS account.
    With PUBG, you'll only have the PS account (and no crossplay).

But Sony have announced plans to review Crossplay not just for Fortnite but for other games too. If they can get crossplay to properly work for Fortnite, they'll likely have no excuse not to roll it out for other games too. So no crossplay yet, but it very well could happen in the future.

Edit: Though not sure if items will move across if you want to play on another system or what the story would be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Jesus that looks really bad.

I think it looks great and I despise Pokemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I like pokemon and I think it looks like nightmare fuel concocted of pure eldritch abominations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1062261296203268098?s=19

I know it's in English but I hope this is a translation error :o

Thank you Bethesda, may I have another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

All the game engine experts on twitter already. They have a good engine they work on all the time, they just upgrade it. It's not as if they are building them on the Morrowind engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

All the game engine experts on twitter already. They have a good engine they work on all the time, they just upgrade it. It's not as if they are building them on the Morrowind engine.
    Isn't Gamebryo an upgraded and renamed version of the engine used in Morrowind?

Yes, it's updated and upgraded all the time. I meant it's hardly in the same state as it was back then. WWE 2K are on the same engine since PS1 for example, it's just upgraded and updated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They can call it Creation or whatever and say they've totally changed the rendering code but it's still Gamebryo and stinks of Gamebryo. They might have an advanced renderer but the underlying game, the physics and logic that make an actual game work, have changed very little since morrowind. And it's that that causes their games to be a janky mess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes, it's updated and upgraded all the time. I meant it's hardly in the same state as it was back then. WWE 2K are on the same engine since PS1 for example, it's just upgraded and updated.

Very much doubt that considering how different the PS1 handles polygons from modern consoles.

There was little difference when the first PS2 game came out, the PS4 still has some animations from the PS2 era. Bethesda also said in the article that there would be drastic improvements made to the engine for Starfield and ES6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That engine is a disaster. As somebody who has played all of Bethesda's Fallout and Elder scroll games, it's needed replacing for years. Even ignoring the physics-based problems and bugs......the engine itself is just not efficient at all.

It has a myriad of memory leak problems and in 2018 they can't have more than a dozen characters on screen at the same time without crashing. There is a reason there are no large-scale battles in Fallout or Skyrim. It's not a design choice, it's an engine limitation.

Think of the size of the cities in Assassins Creed and the Witcher and the massive collection of NPCs. Now compare them to Diamond City. Speaks for itself. And thats just guys standing around waiting to be talked to. Add some combat into the mix and everything goes to hell.

It's not like Bethesda is some indie studio with no money. They deserve every bit of stick regarding their choice to stick with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Agreed. It's crazy that they are using the same engine for their next generation of games. Bells and whistles on top of it still leaves you with a **** engine.

I'd be pretty worried about any future Bethesda game tbh. They've shown a complete lack of understanding about what their fans actually seem to want, and are really focused on monetization. Their attitude to mods, when it's mods that fixed their games and kept them alive well after they would have died, is pretty disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Valve delivers 20K bug bounty
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/11/13/valve-gives-20000-to-man-who-discovered-unlimited-free-game-codes-flaw/

Pretty low bounty for such a financially devastating bug, especially considering he could've anonymously milked this to the nth degree with the lucrative key-reselling market and easily eclipsed the bounty.

Blizzard goes full-on mobile
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/11/14/blizzard-is-working-on-mobile-games-for-all-of-their-franchises/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Spin-offs are fine as long as they don't neglect the main games, too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's the biggest gaming market in the world, any games development company that isn't at the very least looking at making mobile games is doing themselves a disservice. I don't mean to sound like some sort of Activision apologist, they couldn't have got that Diablo thing more wrong, but they should absolutely be making that game as well as a Starcraft and Warcraft mobile game. Hearthstone is a mobile game. I't love to see them try their hands at a mobile RTS that isn't some Clash of Clans clone (mind you that EA Titanfall game of this ilk was rather enjoyable) - I think they've maybe even missed a trick in not doing it for the Starcraft and Warcraft remasters as complimentary titles.

• Advertisement

It's the biggest gaming market in the world
    Because most of the games are microtransaction heavy whalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

It's the biggest gaming market in the world, any games development company that isn't at the very least looking at making mobile games is doing themselves a disservice. I don't mean to sound like some sort of Activision apologist, they couldn't have got that Diablo thing more wrong, but they should absolutely be making that game as well as a Starcraft and Warcraft mobile game. Hearthstone is a mobile game. I't love to see them try their hands at a mobile RTS that isn't some Clash of Clans clone (mind you that EA Titanfall game of this ilk was rather enjoyable) - I think they've maybe even missed a trick in not doing it for the Starcraft and Warcraft remasters as complimentary titles.
    Given the popularity of competitive titles on mobile over there, if I had to guess, I'd say they'll try to bring over Heroes of the Storm, or some variant of it, next. Diablo Immortal could even serve as a decent introduction to many of the characters on the roster.
    Evade wrote: »
    Because most of the games are microtransaction heavy whalers.
    Well, yes and no. The actual market over there is absolutely massive in itself so even if you have a large number of users with a low spend rate, you'll still make some serious money. That being said, China does have twice as big a percentage of whales than the US market and of that percentage, they tend to spend, on average, almost double their US counterparts, according to GameAnalytics.

gizmo wrote: »
    Well, yes and no. The actual market over there is absolutely massive in itself so even if you have a large number of users with a low spend rate, you'll still make some serious money. That being said, China does have twice as big a percentage of whales than the US market and of that percentage, they tend to spend, on average, almost double their US counterparts, according to GameAnalytics.
    These new mobile games are for the west aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In a surprising move, EA have announced that their upcoming remaster of Command and Conquer will be done in tandem with Petroglyph Games. They released the solid RTS Grey Goo in 2015, but more to the point they're made up in part of many of the original developers from Westwood.

They've announced they're starting with C&C Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert.

I trust EA as far as I could kick them, and I think Mass Effect games are the only ones I've bought off them in the last 6 or 7 years, but it's a positive move. Not so much a cash grab as giving the people what they want.

Sony won't be holding a conference (or a Direct or similar) at or around E3 next year. No real reason given.

I would say they'll save the exclusives they have (Ghost of Tsusima, Death Stranding, TLOU2) for their own show sometime in the year separate to E3, start ramping down the PS4 stuff and come out with the PS5 reveal early 2020. Disappointing all the same. While it was a very tame E3 this year from them, still always enjoy the trailers and reveals from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »
    Sony won't be holding a conference (or a Direct or similar) at or around E3 next year. No real reason given.

I would say they'll save the exclusives they have (Ghost of Tsusima, Death Stranding, TLOU2) for their own show sometime in the year separate to E3, start ramping down the PS4 stuff and come out with the PS5 reveal early 2020. Disappointing all the same. While it was a very tame E3 this year from them, still always enjoy the trailers and reveals from them.
    I think all the games you mentioned looked very much like next gen titles for the PS5.

I'd say they are all tied to the PS5's first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah will miss Sony at it, always a good craic to compare the console showings. Now we're left with ****ty Xbox, ****ty bethesda and ****ty Ubisoft :(

I was sure the ps5 would be revealed at the next one with a 2020 release date. Maybe they'll just hold their own event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think most want to move on from E3. Its not been the same since Nintendo pulled out. The conferences just look like a waste of money at times when you see a Direct.
    Hopefully others don't hold a conference either as EA, Bethesda & Square Enix had poor ones this year I can't see what they have to show next year.
    I think all the games you mentioned looked very much like next gen titles for the PS5.

Don't think anything shown was above what God of War managed & often the last breath of a system will actually be it at it's full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Nintendo only stopped having a conference at E3, they didn't pull out of it altogether. They still have quite a bit floor presence going by the past couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CatInABox wrote: »
    Sunset Overdrive rated for PC. Hopefully it's accurate, as SO is still one of the best games on Xbox, and is very underrated/underappreciated for some reason.

As the article says, we'll probably find out more at next weeks Xbox show.

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1063160807880581122

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/p/sunset-overdrive/brzhfr5xblqs?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Windows Store has it for €19.99 and 12.99 with Xbox Live Gold. But looking at price of Gold, 1 month costs €1 so could get for 13.99, I guess.
    Or use Game Pass which is also currently €1 for 1 month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement