Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

So I did this and had to cancel and reapply. A new problem now. It is t combining our tax relief before we hit submit. Why would this be?

Not sure but my thoughts are:

Have both of you cancelled and reapplied as a group?
    If both applicants appear in the group but its not combining the tax relief then best bet is to call revenue again and have them do the application for you, as there seems to be an error there, where the relief from one of you is still being applied to the previous application and therefore not available for this one.

double check that you have cancelled correctly and reapplied as a group.
    if that fails get back to revenue.

I've tried group applications through both accounts to see if it was being combined and the same was happening on each side - not being combined.

I really hope I'm not being stupid here but do we both need to start groups from our individual accounts?

I was working on the basis that simply adding a member would combine our tax and give us the required potential max refund.

I didn't hit submit as it was falling short of our required amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Having same issue with HTB. When I log in I see that application is under review with two of us successfully added however when my partner logs in she sees an error message. Contacted revenue but they said they cannot help.

Anyone got a number direct to someone who looks after HTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Yeah I feel sorry for the other bidders, you've inflated the price on both houses so that you have have choice...

rubbish. they will just go back to the previous bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

TheShow wrote: »
    rubbish. they will just go back to the previous bidder.

Indeed, however the previous bidder has ended up paying more than they would have (Maybe significantly more, who knows) had the poster not been involved in the process.

I'm not knocking the poster, people do what they have to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

I've tried group applications through both accounts to see if it was being combined and the same was happening on each side - not being combined.

I really hope I'm not being stupid here but do we both need to start groups from our individual accounts?

I was working on the basis that simply adding a member would combine our tax and give us the required potential max refund.

I didn't hit submit as it was falling short of our required amount.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think you only need to do it on one. Have you checked your 'my enquiries' section on both accounts?
    I think one of the accounts receives an invite from the other, which must be accepted before it combines into the group.

If that fails you could try starting the group on both accounts and see if it automatically links.

Failing all else I would pester the local revenue office until they help. They are the only ones who can, and its too much money saved to just forget about so I would push the matter if you can.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Indeed, however the previous bidder has ended up paying more than they would have (Maybe significantly more, who knows) had the poster not been involved in the process.

The previous bidder has the option to stick to their bid or to increase their bid if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Anyone drawing down a mortgage at the minute recommend who they are going with and what's the most favourable rates about at the minute?

Online I'm seeing AIB at 2.95% variable and KBC at 2.5% fixed as the best available for ourselves with a €300,000 mortgage and an LTV below 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Brego888 wrote: »

Online I'm seeing AIB at 2.95% variable and KBC at 2.5% fixed as the best available for ourselves with a €300,000 mortgage and an LTV below 80%.

Ulster Bank offer 2 year fixed at 2.3% for <80% LTV

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

estate agents doing my nut in, inquired about three properties in past few days and on each occassion been told sale is 'literally going to be agreed' within the next few hours and if we need to bid we have to do so immediately.

there's some great agents out there but it's so hard to know if these 'almost sale agreed' deals are genuine from the other agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Totally agree with you, some EA are not trustworthy at all from my experiences so far.

We have had similar problems like yours but also a lot of underhanded carrying on that siding appear right so we walked away!

Have a budget and stick to it and be prepared to walk away is my advice!
    Goose76 wrote: »
    estate agents doing my nut in, inquired about three properties in past few days and on each occassion been told sale is 'literally going to be agreed' within the next few hours and if we need to bid we have to do so immediately.

there's some great agents out there but it's so hard to know if these 'almost sale agreed' deals are genuine from the other agents.

• Advertisement

And don't get me started on agents advertising 'weekend viewings available' and then all simultaneously and consistently being 'booked up' or 'away' for every single weekend and suggesting weekdays instead!

And don't get me started on agents advertising 'weekend viewings available' and then all simultaneously and consistently being 'booked up' or 'away' for every single weekend and suggesting weekdays instead!

worse than car salesmen!

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Very good. Met with AIB today. Will arrange Ulster Bank meeting too.

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Very good. Met with AIB today. Will arrange Ulster Bank meeting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

kippy wrote: »

Should the EA get back to the last bidder, they dont have to go with their last bid.
    They can admit they were caught in a bidding war and change their offer.
    Happened to me - Bidding spiralled out of control and we fell out. EA came back and we offered significantly less and the bid was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I have only been looking a month and I'm sick of it.
    Absolute waste of time most of them.
    It's amazing how when you get a viewing of a place that's only up, it somehow already has an offer above the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have been looking over a year and a half and went sale agreed over 3 weeks ago. I would love to remember how many houses I viewed and bidded on, don't give up. I was close to it many times. Now I am happy the search is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Was bidding on a property last week which went 22k above asking. I went all the way to 400k (reluctantly, raging I did it tbh) before coming to my senses and backing out once the other bidders went to 402k. That was Monday.

Fast forward to today and this morning my agent rings me to say that the other bidders have pulled out, and the vendors estate agent got in touch.

Left a bid for 382k on the table until 5pm this evening, take it or leave it (viewing other properties etc).

Within 30 minutes we were sale agreed. My point being I'm suspicious there was ever another bidder - although there's a few on her bidding on multiple properties so it's possible.

My cynical side believes that there wasn't another bidder. My optimistic side is delighted I saved 20k:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Was bidding on a property last week which went 22k above asking. I went all the way to 400k (reluctantly, raging I did it tbh) before coming to my senses and backing out once the other bidders went to 402k. That was Monday.

Fast forward to today and this morning my agent rings me to say that the other bidders have pulled out, and the vendors estate agent got in touch.

Left a bid for 382k on the table until 5pm this evening, take it or leave it (viewing other properties etc).

Within 30 minutes we were sale agreed. My point being I'm suspicious there was ever another bidder - although there's a few on her bidding on multiple properties so it's possible.

My cynical side believes that there wasn't another bidder. My optimistic side is delighted I saved 20k:pac::pac:

Folks always make excellent points on here on why it's really unlikely for the estate agent to introduce fake bidders. I'd be more of the opinion that the other bidders were the same as yourself and kept bidding beyond what they could actually afford or wanted to spend and once they won were like uh-oh, I've made a terrible mistake and backed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I would suspect buyers getting friends to make fake bids is more prevalent then EA. EAs need to sell the property and they don't make that much more money from 10/20k increase in sale price.

But in most cases I think its just people getting desperate and over bidding instead of walking away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

GingerLily wrote: »
    I would suspect buyers getting friends to make fake bids is more prevalent then EA. EAs need to sell the property and they don't make that much more money from 10/20k increase in sale price.

But in most cases I think its just people getting desperate and over bidding instead of walking away!

I concur to this - been in this situation many a time over the year bidding for property but backed out when it just got to much for me and prob was a few K off getting it - been great for sellers !! For all the properties I got out bid on not one resulted in EA phoning to say its back on market so they have all be genuine in my case - in current climate likelihood of ghost bids are v slim in my mind especially if house is in demand area … but hey I stand corrected :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

So what way have you guys been comparing different houses and scoring them

e.g Proximity to schools, Proximity to work, size, price per square foot mtre, transport links, reputation of developer / experience of developer, how close to family etc

Be good for us all to whip together and get a checklist going of how you compare houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

myshirt wrote: »

e.g Proximity to schools, Proximity to work, size, price per square foot mtre, transport links, reputation of developer / experience of developer, how close to family etc

Be good for us all to whip together and get a checklist going of how you compare houses.

I'd say access to broadand is high on the list these days

Went around an estate we like today and asked neighbours what it was like to live in. Was the best thing we have done in the whole home buying process.

No disrespect to the opinions of anyone on boards (the site has been invaluable) but honestly I think you can’t do any better than actually going to the esatates and areas you like and speaking to the locals directly. It’s an obvious tip but one that’s often overlooked so I thought I’d share. Speaking to neighbours today has absolutely cemented our decision to go with a particular property.

Went around an estate we like today and asked neighbours what it was like to live in. Was the best thing we have done in the whole home buying process.

No disrespect to the opinions of anyone on boards (the site has been invaluable) but honestly I think you can’t do any better than actually going to the esatates and areas you like and speaking to the locals directly. It’s an obvious tip but one that’s often overlooked so I thought I’d share. Speaking to neighbours today has absolutely cemented our decision to go with a particular property.

Probably the most important thing you can do.

A lot of people don't like doing it though.

Taking a drive around it a few times at varying times of the day/days is also a good idea.

I guess so obvious it's not mentioned a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tigger123

Any area we were looking in I used to this on my way to or from viewings. Best way to get a sense of what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would have always taken a few drives to the area at different times of the day/week etc before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I spoke to our new potential neighbour and she was a goldmine of information.

We found out about potential CPOs from BusConnects, flooding in the area, structural issues (terraced houses), and what the owners of our property were like (they had rented it out which we hadn't realised).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

myshirt wrote: »

Few bits off the top of my head.

Is it a turnkey house or do I need to spend money.
    Proximity to amenities.
    Broadband.
    Quality of neighbourhood.
    Size of garden, how much maintenance does it need.
    Ber rating.
    Does it have a shed, is there space for one.
    And of course the price

• Advertisement

(they had rented it out which we hadn't realised).

Does it make that much of a difference?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement