Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emigration

• 25-05-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So, when all this is over and the country is on its knees (again) and we're expected to pay higher taxes and save the day (again) and with no real chance of owning our own home due to Gov policy from the last time. what are peoples plans?

For me it just feels like there is nothing for us here now due to complete miss management and a horrible unlevel playing field with all the news of the vulture funds recently. This country is rotten to the core and it will only get worse. My options are probably Canada or New Zealand as I have some friends over there from the last mass emigration.

So what are everyones plans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So, when all this is over and the country is on its knees (again) and we're expected to pay higher taxes and save the day (again) and with no real chance of owning our own home due to Gov policy from the last time. what are peoples plans?

For me it just feels like there is nothing for us here now due to complete miss management and a horrible unlevel playing field with all the news of the vulture funds recently. This country is rotten to the core and it will only get worse. My options are probably Canada or New Zealand as I have some friends over there from the last mass emigration.

Newstalk mentioned a couple of weeks ago that younger population us financially worse off than the older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Maybe back to OZ for me but from talking to people there It's not the peaches and roses that media here are reporting although much better than here. NZ could be an option. I'll give it time and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BenDover2020

YFlyer wrote: »
    Newstalk mentioned a couple of weeks ago that younger population us financially worse off than the older.

Certainly feels that way with the odds stacked against the youth. Its hard to believe this is all Gov policy that has caused this. They should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Certainly feels that way with the odds stacked against the youth. Its hard to believe this is all Gov policy that has caused this. They should be ashamed of themselves

Was sad listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Have a mortgage with a nice balance to pay off, so ain’t going anywhere. Luckily I have a secure job, so does the wife.

So I’ll be sticking it out, and paying more taxes while beer in the offie costs more, gas bill costs more, every bloody thing costs more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It’s always been rotten to the core but it’s not a bad country to live in either

It’s always been rotten to the core but it’s not a bad country to live in either

It's a relatively safe country, i'll give you that but it's by no means " not a bad country to live in" It's a kip, but a safe kip

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Exceltrup

I never understood how people can talk about Irelands housimg crisis, and in the same breath talk about New Zealand (average house price in Aukland $1.1 million) and Canada ( average house price in Vancouver $1.3 million.)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

I'm in NZ and it's a great country, but home ownership here is way more expensive than Ireland
    Plus, borders will likely be closed for the foreseeable future and even when they do open there are very strict immigration policies being introduced

Exceltrup wrote: »

I never understood how people can talk about Irelands housimg crisis, and in the same breath talk about New Zealand (average house price in Aukland $1.1 million) and Canada ( average house price in Vancouver $1.3 million.)

Who said anything about Aukland or Vancouver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Once we keep the long term welfare class here, who cares!

Who said anything about Aukland or Vancouver?
    Ok, I'll bite! Average house prices are as follows:
    NZ: $800,000
    Canada: $716,000
    Ireland: $407,000 (CAD) $467,000 (NZD)

Ok, I'll bite! Average house prices are as follows:
    NZ: $800,000
    Canada: $716,000
    Ireland: $407,000 (CAD) $467,000 (NZD)

Bite???? get a grip pal.
    I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?

Bite???? get a grip pal.
    I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?

Renting in a much better country than.this "kip" as you call it. New Zealand and Canada both have infamously high rents, and lower median salaries than Ireland. Also worth noting that the homeless rate per 10,000 is higher in both countries.

Ireland isn't without its problems, but I've lived in the US, Canada and Paris, and frankly people don't know how good we have it.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Anyone under the age of 35 who is single with no kids is crazy to stay in Ireland. Hard to see anything going in the right direction - rising cost of living with stagnant wages.

I recommend people get more creative with their choice of destination than the usual Oz/NZ/Canada thing. Lots of fabulous countries in Asia and Latin America where you can have an excellent standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

CageWager wrote: »
    Anyone under the age of 35 who is single with no kids is crazy to stay in Ireland. Hard to see anything going in the right direction - rising cost of living with stagnant wages.

I recommend people get more creative with their choice of destination than the usual Oz/NZ/Canada thing. Lots of fabulous countries in Asia and Latin America where you can have an excellent standard of living.

People are complaining that Ireland is too crowded with a population of 5 million. You are recommending places with cities double that.

Renting in a much better country than.this "kip" as you call it. New Zealand and Canada both have infamously high rents, and lower median salaries than Ireland. Also worth noting that the homeless rate per 10,000 is higher in both countries.

Ireland isn't without its problems, but I've lived in the US, Canada and Paris, and frankly people don't know how good we have it.

frankly people don't know how good we have it. haha now who's looking for someone to bite.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?.......politician response there with a question answering a question.... i asked why Ireland is so great??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

average property in NZ is a good 30% more expensive than in Ireland , both Auckland and Wellington are more expensive than Dublin despite lower wages

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

frankly people don't know how good we have it. haha now who's looking for someone to bite.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?.......politician response there with a question answering a question.... i asked why Ireland is so great??

You are travelling 12,000 miles in the hope of a better standard of living. Not a great plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's a relatively safe country, i'll give you that but it's by no means " not a bad country to live in" It's a kip, but a safe kip

Yeah a country with schemes like Back to Education Allowance and Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, it really is a kip. :rolleyes:

its a great country but the sooner people stop moaning and blaming the government for their problems the better. we have it too good in this country. That is Irelands biggest problem.

• Advertisement

You are travelling 12,000 miles in the hope of a better standard of living. Not a great plan.

I have nothing set in stone. That's kind of the point of this thread... to get ideas.

One thing is sure I'll be part of this new generation that will be on a plane out of this sh1thole as soon as things settle.

Ireland is no. 2 on the HDI, behind only Norway. Salaries in Ireland are higher than both of the countries you mentioned and one of the highest in the EU, behind Luxemborg/Swiss.

FDI is also much larger here than in Canada or NZ, with much better oppourtunitues with global names.

I mean, how much more do you want? I think a big issue with Ireland is that we're filled with doom merchants and pariahs who will always bitch and moan that the grass is greener.

while i knew wages were lower in NZ than ireland , i had thought wages were higher in Canada than here ? , Canada is a much wealthier country than NZ

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    average property in NZ is a good 30% more expensive than in Ireland , both Auckland and Wellington are more expensive than Dublin despite lower wages

I've explaines this to OP already. They won't listen.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    while i knew wages were lower in NZ than ireland , i had thought wages were higher in Canada than here , Canada is a much wealthier country than NZ

$54000 CAD, which is about 36000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Were you paying taxes and "saving the day" the last time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Moving to Letterkenny and renting a 2 bed for 600 euro. And having a good laugh at yokes in Dublin paying 2600 for the same.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Yeah a country with schemes like Back to Education Allowance and Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, it really is a kip. :rolleyes:

its a great country but the sooner people stop moaning and blaming the government for their problems the better. we have it too good in this country. That is Irelands biggest problem.

Just one question? are you from Dublin??? i'm willing to wager you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Just one question? are you from Dublin??? i'm willing to wager you're not.

Im not no. why do you ask?

I thought this thread was about how $hit Ireland is?

• Advertisement

$54000 CAD, which is about 36000 euro

could you provide a link for that please ?

that surprises me

Advertisement