Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe and Keith breakfast show

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

infacteh wrote: »
    They don't have enough DJ's as it is. Suppose it won't be too bad, 16 hours of Cadell and the Richies!

Looks like the outgoing staff might pick up some work from Simon Maher

I'm a bit confused. Is that article about 8Radio.com printed as of today? But the station was launched last year and had a temporary license run last year. So why it is talking about it as if it is a brand new station?

On another note, talk about Keith Walsh landing on his feet and getting his timing right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

On another note, talk about Keith Walsh landing on his feet and getting his timing right!
    .....yes, quite lucky indeed....

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I can't believe the two Richies are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

.....yes, quite lucky indeed....

Yeah, funny how the head of programming gets out and lands himself a nice new position just before the station implodes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

TweekeewT wrote: »
    Yeah, funny how the head of programming gets out and lands himself a nice new position just before the station implodes.

In fairness I think this has been coming a while, the thing i find strangest is that they are keeping it going after these cuts. 3 people running a radio station? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

She must be one of the most pleasant people to listen to on Irish radio, my only gripe would be the amount of time she reminds her listeners that she is Nadine O'Regan. But overall her show is excellent and she is a very good interviewer too.

Much as I dislike her show she's confirmed today that it's been axed. It's sad and horrible that this is happening. Can only wish them well and hope they get more work doing what they're doing somewhere else soon and phantom finds its feet again

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

I don't think that's fair to be honest. He knew, like everyone did, that Phantom was in trouble, and he got offered a job with RTÉ. Why wouldn't he take it? I mean the man has bills to pay, like the rest of us, and life isn't a movie with a happy ending. I'd say most other Phantom DJ's would have taken the gig too, if they had the chance. To imply that Keith was the only one that knew that Phantom was in trouble and used his "insider knowledge" to manufacture his exit plan is low and uncalled for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I don't think that's fair to be honest. He knew, like everyone did, that Phantom was in trouble, and he got offered a job with RTÉ. Why wouldn't he take it? I mean the man has bills to pay, like the rest of us, and life isn't a movie with a happy ending. I'd say most other Phantom DJ's would have taken the gig too, if they had the chance. To imply that Keith was the only one that knew that Phantom was in trouble and used his "insider knowledge" to manufacture his exit plan is low and uncalled for imo.

I'd say the fact that he was a director definitely gave him more insight into what was happening behind the scenes and made sure he got out in time.

Walsh didn't bother me as much as the Joe Donnelly fella, but I do recall him sneering and laughing at 2FM (& Nova) one morning. Now he's working there?!! Poor form.

Off topic a bit but I've heard Phantom is going to be relaunched as 'XFM-Dublin' next month.
    Hopefully they'll take on some of the old crew/ spare a few job losses.

room_149 wrote: »
    I'd say the fact that he was a director definitely gave him more insight into what was happening behind the scenes and made sure he got out in time.

Every JNLR report gave enough "insight" to anyone who wanted to read it.
    Off topic a bit but I've heard Phantom is going to be relaunched as 'XFM-Dublin' next month.

Yeah, I've heard that too.

Every JNLR report gave enough "insight" to anyone who wanted to read it.
    True, the last few JNLR reports all made for uncomfortable reading if you were involved in the place. A little birdy has just told me he knew about it folding/ re-branding back as far as November 2013, however.

• Advertisement

True, the last few JNLR reports all made for uncomfortable reading if you were involved in the place. A little birdy has just told me he knew about it folding/ re-branding back as far as November 2013, however.

Fair enough, but I still don't think he did anything wrong accepting a job with a secure employer, when everyone knew his current ones were in a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Phantom's not gonna recover, not the way they're doing it anyhow.

They should just hand it back to Simon Maher.

I was simply saying that his timing was very lucky, given the announcement this weekend. As you say, like everyone else he would have known the station had problems but I was not implying anything specific at all. The situation arose as you stated. However, as it happens, some of the other posters did see more into his move.

some of the other posters did see more into his move.

That's what I have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Broadsheet have an extract from jim carrol;s piece...

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/17/phantom-pain-2/

Calls out Joe 'n' keeps show as the stations lowest point.

An awful shame as the station was still better than a lot of the other dross out there.

An awful shame as the station was still better than a lot of the other dross out there.

There is another thread on this forum about Jim Carrroll's article and it links to the full version of that article.

Here is the thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057150547

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That's the bit that really smacked me as Jobs for the boys. I know very very few people that rate him as a DJ. He's awful at what he does imo. A poor fit for the station from day one of his appointment and how he is still kept while others who have been there far longer and are much better at what they do are given the bullet is a joke. Cronyism a definite perception be nice to get some clairifiaction as to why those 3 were picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Sounds a bit bitter from an ex dj who once took a walk on the wild side played some hip hop and got pulled up by station management or takes issue that the standard of "bants" on the station aren't "ace" enough.

That the station launched late, that it opened during a recession, that the way in which much of the station's potential audience have changed they way they access music are facts whether it suits the station's detractors or not.

In the case of 6 Music a lot of changes had to be made to make it a viable proposition, Lauren Laverne might not be everyone's cup of tea, Radcliffe & Maconie were brought in from Radio 2 and Steve Lamcq is no kid either (age was an issue raised about Joe Donnelly earlier in the thread).

I've said it before, Joe Donnelly is fine as a DJ (he was really good with Tom Dunne) and the pairing with Charlotte had improved Phantom breakfast, the breakfast format is just that 'a format' that is not to everyone's taste. It's a real shame that the Richies and Derek Byrne are going because they were really on to something.

Whether people love or hate Phantom I think we're agreed that if it goes that's it for commercial radio so wouldn't it be better that like 6Music everyone gets behind the station, #savephantom anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

^^ I've been listening to BBC6 the odd time. I'd do in the mornings during Joe & Keith's breakfast "banter" and afternoon on Claire Beck's.

Joe and Charlotte are better than J&K. Awkward and uneasy moment this morning when he asked Charlotte her opinion on Scottish independence...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Rosser wrote: »
    Sounds a bit bitter from an ex dj who once took a walk on the wild side played some hip hop and got pulled up by station management or takes issue that the standard of "bants" on the station aren't "ace" enough.

That the station launched late, that it opened during a recession, that the way in which much of the station's potential audience have changed they way they access music are facts whether it suits the station's detractors or not.

In the case of 6 Music a lot of changes had to be made to make it a viable proposition, Lauren Laverne might not be everyone's cup of tea, Radcliffe & Maconie were brought in from Radio 2 and Steve Lamcq is no kid either (age was an issue raised about Joe Donnelly earlier in the thread).

I've said it before, Joe Donnelly is fine as a DJ (he was really good with Tom Dunne) and the pairing with Charlotte had improved Phantom breakfast, the breakfast format is just that 'a format' that is not to everyone's taste. It's a real shame that the Richies and Derek Byrne are going because they were really on to something.

Whether people love or hate Phantom I think we're agreed that if it goes that's it for commercial radio so wouldn't it be better that like 6Music everyone gets behind the station, #savephantom anyone?

"Getting behind" someone who has destroyed what little was left of the station isn't a positive move.

All that does is re-inforce the idea that station managers can serve up whatever brainless tepid ****e they want and the audience will take it.

I feel sorry for Charlotte, being stuck with "the bants", but I've no sympathy at all for Joe or Keith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Rosser wrote: »

Think you have total wrong end of the stick there - Carroll's show was one of the best on Phantom and which always - not once - walked on the wild side. Huge shame when he left. And if you read his stuff regularly, you'll see that he was wrote again and again about radio in Ireland and knows his stuff.

Those excuses about recession and delays are always wheeled out and, like FG blaming FF over and over again, just don't stick anymore. This is 2014, not 2006, and the station has only themselves to blame with some appalling daytime DJs and terrible playlisting choices. Age has SFA to do with it - John Peel comes to mind - but rather awful decisions taken by management repeatedly - and not just Communicorp nice but dim yes-men like Ricky "PJ Harvey is a guy" Geragthy.

Joe Donnelly may be a lovely man and Keith Walsh may rescue kittens from trees but they were and are appalling breakfast show DJs for a station like Phantom. Maybe they'd work on Spin on iBallygobackwards but not a niche alt rock station like Phantom.

As for "everyone" getting behind the station, what Slutmonkey57b said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

wrote:

6 Music is not a viable proposition and could not survive if it was a commercial entity. It costs millions to run - almost £12m one year and delivers a small audience. Hence, it was going to be chopped. Only for a noisy minority and it suits the BBC to hog the format and increase their overall reach was it saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I have to say fair points, well made!

Last morning of the Breakfast show today. Joe Donnelly was informing us all to tune into the same frequency next week for the changes..
    Felt a bit sorry for Charlotte Flood, don't like her much as a DJ but she's been the morning show producer since 2007/2008 and fits the station's image better than Alan Partridge Donnelly.
    The two Richies show last night almost had me in tears. Ditto Laura Lee Conboy's Spiral stairs. It's a crime they are being axed to spare a middle of the road Commincorp yes-man like Donnelly.

Great to hear Cathal Funge on air this morning.
    He's promised to keep the chat down to a minimum and just play some music. To quote from his first few lines earlier 'mornings are difficult enough as it is'
    Almost felt like cheering when he said that, it's been a long couple of years since our erstwhile undynamic duo laid waste the capital's heads in the mornings on Phantom/105.2fm

First track played was 'Moving on up by Primal Scream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Great to hear Cathal Funge on air this morning.
    He's promised to keep the chat down to a minimum and just play some music. To quote from his first few lines earlier 'mornings are difficult enough as it is'
    Almost felt like cheering when he said that, it's been a long couple of years since our erstwhile undynamic duo laid waste the capital's heads in the mornings on Phantom/105.2fm

First track played was 'Moving on up by Primal Scream.

Cathal is a great presenter but I can't see the single header format lasting long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

lorc43 wrote: »
    yeah it is

Wha'?

Advertisement