Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out my granny flat

• 13-05-2021 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all
    I'm planning to rent out my granny flat over the next few months, probably to a student. It has two rooms, one which is very small, and shower room. What do I need in it apart from the obvious fridge, combi oven, kettle, bed, wardrobe, desk etc. I want it to be decent enough but space is an issue. I believe I can rent it under the Rent a Room Scheme as it is attached to main house and door between. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Chances are you can't under planning. The councils monitor rental ads for enforcement purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Caranica wrote: »
    Chances are you can't under planning. The councils monitor rental ads for enforcement purposes.

They really want to enforce this current housing shortage in order to drive up prices to the desired level. I do know someone who rents this type of building off someone so where there's a will there's a way

They really want to enforce this current housing shortage in order to drive up prices to the desired level

No, planning permission is granted with t&C's. Breaching those is liable to enforcement. I'm not sure if the owner can apply for change of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No, planning permission is granted with t&C's. Breaching those is liable to enforcement. I'm not sure if the owner can apply for change of use.

Back in the day (80s) someone in the council told my granddad, "build what you want! as long as it can't be seen from the road"

What a change, eh? Now they practically come looking into your house to see is there an extra nail for hanging a picture on the wall that shouldn't be there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lode of old cobblers here - planners don’t
    monitor daft for grannyflats - such twaddle. Its impossible to get them to come and look at a half built crooked roofless illegal extension without a folio number, complaint in writing in duplicate and almost the land registry receipt.

OP - there needs to be a microwave, air vent for the cooker, preferably a fire blanket or small extinguisher, working fridge and the place be clean and decent. Advertise away.

I’m not sure where you’d find a student during the summer with the covid year they’ve all had -
    most gave up their flats and moved home months ago to do their virtual courses & to save their pennies. Not many visiting overseas students this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Delirah

monitor daft for grannyflats - such twaddle. Its impossible to get them to come and look at a half built crooked roofless illegal extension without a folio number, complaint in writing in duplicate and almost the land registry receipt.

OP - there needs to be a microwave, air vent for the cooker, preferably a fire blanket or small extinguisher, working fridge and the place be clean and decent. Advertise away.

I’m not sure where you’d find a student during the summer with the covid year they’ve all had -
    most gave up their flats and moved home months ago to do their virtual courses & to save their pennies. Not many visiting overseas students this year.

Thanks for the tips.
    It would probably be a project over the summer to hopefully get someone in for Sept, if things are back to normal.

I know of at least one that does, for a fact. I've seen the same council take action over a fence that was 1 inch too high. Not twaddle/cobblers, fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Keep it under 14k a year and declare it, no one will look at it or care, there aren't roving gangs of council enforcers going around checking houses

Keep it under 14k a year and declare it, no one will look at it or care, there aren't roving gangs of council enforcers going around checking houses

It would definitely be under 14k!
    The council here do nothing other than argue with each other so I'd say I'd be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Delirah wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips.
    It would probably be a project over the summer to hopefully get someone in for Sept, if things are back to normal.

If you want to start sooner maybe look at construction workers that need a place to stay during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Funnily enough on the topic of enforcement - https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/117139725 It does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If the granny flat can't be accessed from the main house, I don't think it technically falls under the rent a room scheme - open to correction on that though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭dennyk

MacDanger wrote: »
    If the granny flat can't be accessed from the main house, I don't think it technically falls under the rent a room scheme - open to correction on that though

Rent-a-room relief applies to self-contained units as well, as long as they are physically attached to the main house (e.g. an extension built onto the house, an attached garage conversion, or a self-contained basement unit).

Where things get tricky is under the Residential Tenancies Act; if a unit is "self-contained", then all parts of the RTA apply (i.e. it would be a tenancy, not a license arrangement). Interestingly, the Act states that "“self-contained residential unit” includes the form of accommodation commonly known as “bedsit” accommodation;", so simply having a door between your house and a "granny flat" might not be sufficient to make it not "self-contained" under the RTA, especially if said flat has its own kitchen facilities, bathroom, and outside entrance as well. It could still fall under the Rent-a-Room tax relief scheme in that case, however, as long as it's attached to the main structure. The landlord would just need to be aware of their obligations under the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What is more the landlord has to notify the tenant at the start if they are availing of the opportunity to have shorter notice periods. Most councils only enforce when they get a complaint. The jealous neighbour is the main cause of enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I've being doing this for the past two years, just finished for the academic year recently.
    The flat has own door access from the side passage, but also an interlinked door, which was always locked from my side.
    The 'flat' has a bathroom, small kitchen facilities and bedroom/sitting room.
    It has it's own electric heating system so separate to the main house system.
    I found it hard to advertise as daft won't allow terms like 'student only' etc.
    But once I found the right tenant (student) it was easy.
    We are lucky that our utility room has a separate door also from the back garden, so they could use the washer/dryer at an agreed weekly time.
    Be strict with your rules and we signed an agreement with the rules and length of termination notice etc.
    Best of luck with it.

It has its own entrance and is attached to the house by a door also, which I would plan on keeping locked. Which makes me think its OK for the rent a room scheme. Thanks all for the replies.

The Mulk wrote: »
    I've being doing this for the past two years, just finished for the academic year recently.
    The flat has own door access from the side passage, but also an interlinked door, which was always locked from my side.
    We are lucky that our utility room has a separate door also from the back garden, so they could use the washer/dryer at an agreed weekly time.
    Be strict with your rules and we signed an agreement with the rules and length of termination notice etc.
    Best of luck with it.

Can I ask how did you end up finding someone?
    I could do similar with washing machine actually, or there's one at the petrol station beside us, but I wouldn't fancy that option myself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Mulk wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.

If it goes to the RTB this will be of no use.

The RTB remit does not extend to:

the Rent a Room scheme (where the landlord and the tenant share the same self contained property).

You aren't sharing the same self contained property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Delirah wrote: »
    Can I ask how did you end up finding someone?
    I could do similar with washing machine actually, or there's one at the petrol station beside us, but I wouldn't fancy that option myself

I advertised on Daft and in Maynooth University ( there's a hub for students/ landlords)
    I must have turned down about 30 people via email/ phone, I'd ask if they needed Mon - Fri only and that would let you know whether they were students or planning on living there full time. If they brought up HAP I'd tell them I wasn't set up / registered.
    I've never registered with the RTB.
    I only let 2 people come to view it, both came with their parents, and the arrangements I made were accepted by all of us.
    The parents were happy that they were living with a family for their first time away from home. They were both nice kids. One decide he preferred somewhere else and we went with a guy from West Cork.
    They had full time use of the 'flat', 7 days a week, but luckily went home Easter and Xmas.
    It worked out well with the washing, he had full use of it every Sunday and would text me when he was using it.
    I'm converting it back to a home office now, so won't rent it out again for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I know of at least one that does, for a fact. I've seen the same council take action over a fence that was 1 inch too high. Not twaddle/cobblers, fact.

Naw, that's pub talk.

Fences are measured in mm/cm not inches. And if a council brought enforcement proceedings over 25 mm on something that has a 1.2m or 2m allowance, they would become a worldwide laughing stock.

If you want to tell fibs, make sure that they are believable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

For op, advertise it as a two room space with kitchenette and shower.

When people view it they will see the independent entrance.

Microwave, mini cooker, kettle, toaster, George foreman grill, fridge freezer. (Currys have an under outer unit with a separate freezer for about €150) and smart TV.

Decent mattress too. I have the Emma mattresses in two rentals I have - both are holiday rentals and people always mention the mattress in reviews.

If space allows, go for a 4ft small double rather than a single bed. (Standard double if the space is there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Lots of them for rent on daft.ie as of now. Quite a few are garage conversions and at extortionate rents. We actually booked a flat in salt hill off airbnb a couple of years ago that turned out to be a granny flat, €200 a night.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Naw, that's pub talk.

Fences are measured in mm/cm not inches. And if a council brought enforcement proceedings over 25 mm on something that has a 1.2m or 2m allowance, they would become a worldwide laughing stock.

It's not. Yes they were spurred on by a very "proactive" neighbour in the case but it did happen. The measurement is mine, I wasn't quoting from the actual documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It's not. Yes they were spurred on by a very "proactive" neighbour in the case but it did happen. The measurement is mine, I wasn't quoting from the actual documents.

I believe you. Thing is though most neighbours don’t want to fall out with each other and will keep quiet about most things that aren’t directly and persistently affecting their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Darc19 wrote: »
    Naw, that's pub talk.

Prove the poster is lying!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

assume the poster has been warned they might or might not be planning compliant and move on please.

Advertisement