Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Barr - Wild Atlantic Way - Guinness & World Ultra-Cycling Assoc. Record Attempt

• 11-05-2021 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

For anyone thats interested, Joe Barr has just kicked off his latest record attempt along the Wild Atlantic Way - you can see the route and track his progress here:

http://live.primaltracking.com/tjbwaw2021/

The man's not wise! :D:D:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

odd that he's have chosen to go north-south - would it not make sense to do it in the opposite direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

odd that he's have chosen to go north-south - would it not make sense to do it in the opposite direction?

Think I read somewhere him saying that he wanted to make it as hard as possible, so wanted to do it into the prevailing winds

Here's the link - https://www.teamjoebarr.com/post/the-race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You'd imagine that the chances would be, that South/North would have a better chance of a favourable wind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as per the link above:
    So when it descended, it descended as the complete Wild Atlantic Way, 2343 kilometres and 23,231 meters of climbing that intimately hugs the west coast of Ireland. But let’s throw in an extra twist right up front by going north to south; against the prevailing wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm no geographer but looking at a map, north to south is downhill the whole way.

Anyway he's nuts. Best of luck to him

• Advertisement

it's cycling away from the magnetic north pole too, so hopefully he's not doing it on a steel bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Forecast for next few days has lots of Northerly and Easterly winds, not so much coming from the South West.

it's cycling away from the magnetic north pole too, so hopefully he's not doing it on a steel bike.

You just need to magnetise the frame appropriately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watched some of the video clips and hes not hanging about some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

He's aiming for about 535km per 24hrs for nearly 4.5 days.

That's some motoring.

Still 80km per day less than Strasser for nearly double that time when he set the RAAM record.

Barr is 5 years from a bus pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

its mad though, noticed hes going off and doing all the offshoots like sleivr league and mullaghmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

its mad though, noticed hes going off and doing all the offshoots like sleivr league and mullaghmore.

Sure he might throw in Truskmore and Minaun to!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Sure he might throw in Truskmore and Minaun to!! :D

He went up Mamore yesterday!

are they on the official WAW?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

are they on the official WAW?
    as far as I know yes as they have the waw signs. but just thinking it will be some challenge up and down some of these places. when you look at achill or bellmullet its amazing.

Comparing the event map with the official WAW map, he's not doing every little cul-de-sac climb. Most, but not all.
    Over the past few years, additional locations have been added to the official route.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

He's aiming for about 535km per 24hrs for nearly 4.5 days.

That's some motoring.

Still 80km per day less than Strasser for nearly double that time when he set the RAAM record.

Barr is 5 years from a bus pass

Don’t know what the RAAM route is like, but I’m guessing it’s not as lumpy as WAW ?

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Don’t know what the RAAM route is like, but I’m guessing it’s not as lumpy as WAW ?

Slightly more climbing per 100km in RAAM, but some of the climbs are very long so less of the uppy downy stuff we see here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    RAAM wouldn't have the continuous up/down profile but would have long climbs over mountain ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

As someone living on the last 40km of the WAW it's some going what he's doing. I've cycled pretty much all of it from Ballyvaughan in Clare to Kinsale and between the road surfaces and constant little hills doing it in one go is some going! Hopefully he'll have a southwesterly when he turns in Mizen which would help some bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The winds are northerly since yesterday evening a s stating that way until the weekend when they are very light. Perfect for north south attempt. There’s a lot of strava hunters out
    retalivity wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere him saying that he wanted to make it as hard as possible, so wanted to do it into the prevailing winds

Here's the link - https://www.teamjoebarr.com/post/the-race

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Looks like Joe is close to the halfway point of the WAW.

I'm not too far from the Galway coast so I might drive over to give him a cheer when he passes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Jesus he must have been in bad shape.

17km/h odd is very slow for a supported racer, not much above full value audax whatever went on.

Sometimes you are the hammer sometimes the nail I guess.

He'll be back no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I checked earlier he was outside barna and averaging 31kph, seemed in good shape

Advertisement