Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gods Of Snooker

• 09-05-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Gods of snooker a new three part documentary on snookers past greats begins tonight at 9pm on BBC2. I saw a few trailers and it’s looks brilliant including the 1976 world final when a rather inebriated Alex Higgins conceded the final with a session to spare against Ray Reardon.

Enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thx ... series linked...

Also immediately after that at 10pm there is a show called "Alex Higgins: the peoples champion" for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I liked Ray Reardon coming out shooting "Why do you always want to talk about Higgins? I won it 6 times, he only won it twice" !

Some nice footage and interviews in that, looking forward to the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shock: Steve Davis used the F word on air!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

A bit depressing that. Poor bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

I wonder has anyone successfully recreated that shot on the blue against Jimmy White, it looks an almost impossible shot to pull off.
    Has there ever been s better break than that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Gods of Snooker was great, really enjoyed it.

The Higgins documentary was interesting but sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

mdwexford wrote: »
    Gods of Snooker was great, really enjoyed it.

The Higgins documentary was interesting but sad.

Alex Higgins was a horrible little ****. I don't think that fact is appricated enough. Snookers lack of profile at his time welcomed publicity of any type so it put up with him being a horrible little blue nose bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Nothing I didn't already know tbf and the 2nd hour show is years old. Davis next week so I presume Hendry the week after?. They tried to recreate that shot one year in the winter gardens during the crucible from what I remember. Doherry, Parrot, Dennis and a couple of others, with little success. They tried others.....Jimmy's deep deep reverse screw on the pink into the green pocket to land perfect on the black against Kirk Stevens was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

If you have BBC iplayer all 3 episodes are up there. I watched and enjoyed the second episode more Davis focused and Barry Hearn setting up Matchroom Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 War ensemble

Though it was a great show. Ray Riordan was well pissed off that Higgins was so hammered in the ‘76 final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

tanko wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone successfully recreated that shot on the blue against Jimmy White, it looks an almost impossible shot to pull off.
    Has there ever been s better break than that one?

There's a guy with a very good you tube channel that does stuff like this and there are a few Higgins shots he has tried to recreate, mostly without success. His quite interesting observation on the higgins blue, or that i thought anyway, was that higgins achieved the action on the cue ball purely from side alone. Most people trying to recreate it assume you have to play it with loads of bottom, but apparently not so. Makes sense to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's an interesting video of the 1990 Crucible Last-32 match between Steve James (debut) and Alex Higgins.

Three things:

- It was the first (and only?) 16-red clearance
    - Higgins borrowed James' cue after he couldn't unscrew his to put on the extension. Is that allowed?
    - Higgins conceded with still enough points on the table for him to win (even though he left James a sitter of a pink).

What a great cue-action James had, and so quick too. What ever happened to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

There's a guy with a very good you tube channel that does stuff like this and there are a few Higgins shots he has tried to recreate, mostly without success. His quite interesting observation on the higgins blue, or that i thought anyway, was that higgins achieved the action on the cue ball purely from side alone. Most people trying to recreate it assume you have to play it with loads of bottom, but apparently not so. Makes sense to me anyway.

Here's the explanation. Timestamp doesn't work, so go to 13:20:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Here's an interesting video of the 1990 Crucible Last-32 match between Steve James (debut) and Alex Higgins.

Three things:

- Higgins borrowed James' cue after he couldn't unscrew his to put on the extension. Is that allowed?
    - Higgins conceded with still enough points on the table for him to win (even though he left James a sitter of a pink).

That red at 6:10 was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭fran38

Three things:

According to Wiki, he turned to drink to cope with money issues. Suffered kidney problems as well. I always got the sense that while he was good, he fell short of the stuff you need to win consistently. I wonder will we ever see him on the Seniors circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Episode 2 starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's a decent enough show in bits but for a show billed as being about snooker in the 80s, it's really been the Alex, Steve and Barry show so far with Dennis getting a brief look in for 85. Maybe the final episode will broaden the scope a bit more.

Near the start they showed some footage from the Davis v Thorburn world semi final in 1981 but neglected to mention there was a major flare up during that match and a bitter rivalry between both camps. Thought that was a bit strange.

Good to see davis looking embarrassed recalling the thatcher stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not a bad show

That 69 break in the 1982 semi final for Higgins...

Could watch it all day.....

So charismatic........so gutsy and so cool...

Not sure if best break ever, but most interesting and ballsy and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

fran38 wrote: »
    According to Wiki, he turned to drink to cope with money issues. Suffered kidney problems as well. I always got the sense that while he was good, he fell short of the stuff you need to win consistently. I wonder will we ever see him on the Seniors circuit?

The first pot.....belter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I enjoyed the Doc but it was somewhat ruined by the intermittent input of the likes of Gary Lineker and other celeb snooker fans. All that really took away from the producers spin on they story they were trying to tell. Totally unnecessary and spoiled it as a coherent documentary. I'd hardly watch it again in the long future because of that.

As far as Gods of Snooker is concerned, I think the Doc got it right in who was responsible for making snooker popular in the 80's and those are I think equally Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Alex Higgins. White and Higgins would never have been the 'people's champion' if they didn't have the cold clinical Davis snooker robot to overcome. They didn't mostly.

A bit too much on Higgin's maybe, but on him, I think it's just sad the way he went off the rails. I found him to be an inserting character and even a likeable character off the booze, but on it a total nightmare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement