Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's Axis style uniforms

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Joe Kennedy (JFK's Father) and many others in US Politics were staunch isolationists, and they were supported by high profile figures like Lindbergh. Kennedy himself was US Ambassador to the UK at the time and did not impress in the UK during the blitz, stating publicly that the UK would be defeated quickly by the Nazis.
    It didn't help either that much of the Isolationists were also Anti Semitic, and agreed that the Jews were the cause of many of Germany's economic problems, and as such, when word begun to spread of mass deportations of Jews in Europe, they "had it coming".

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    The USA wasnt neutral, it was waiting for an excuse to enter the war, Ireland was trying to keep out of the way but still cheering the Allies on from the sidelines.

It definitely was neutral. Largely the same as Ireland in fact, pro the allies on the sideline.

There was strong hostility to entering the war amongst the general population and it took an attack on the US and a German declaration of war on the US to get them into both theatres.
    Dohvolle wrote: »
    Joe Kennedy (JFK's Father) and many others in US Politics were staunch isolationists, and they were supported by high profile figures like Lindbergh. Kennedy himself was US Ambassador to the UK at the time and did not impress in the UK during the blitz, stating publicly that the UK would be defeated quickly by the Nazis.
    It didn't help either that much of the Isolationists were also Anti Semitic, and agreed that the Jews were the cause of many of Germany's economic problems, and as such, when word begun to spread of mass deportations of Jews in Europe, they "had it coming".

The great mass of the people were not isolationist because of anti Semitism. They just saw it as a European war and not their issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

fvp4 wrote: »
    It definitely was neutral.

Coca Cola was selling Fanta to the Germans, and Ford were selling Trucks to the Germans. The US would have ended up on top after the war but Joseph Kennedy was lined up to be the next president of the USA if he kept the States out of the war but Business interests wanted the War. Colt was sold out of Thompsons at the start of the war, they had been lying idle for 20 years in storage. Fords and GM were all retooled. Cutlery companies were making bayonets. Industry not only thrived but it lifted the USA out of the great depression. The People might have been indifferent to the war for a very good reason after the doughboys returning but the real business interests took priority. Then there is all the gold the USA stole from Iran, China and Europe.

Coca Cola was selling Fanta to the Germans, and Ford were selling Trucks to the Germans. The US would have ended up on top after the war but Joseph Kennedy was lined up to be the next president of the USA if he kept the States out of the war but Business interests wanted the War. Colt was sold out of Thompsons at the start of the war, they had been lying idle for 20 years in storage. Fords and GM were all retooled. Cutlery companies were making bayonets. Industry not only thrived but it lifted the USA out of the great depression. The People might have been indifferent to the war for a very good reason after the doughboys returning but the real business interests took priority. Then there is all the gold the USA stole from Iran, China and Europe.

In general though neutral in terms of feet on the ground the US, despite Fanta, was giving more aid to the allies.

Fanta was a local Coca Cola plant trying to replace coke which was prohibited as an export (well the syrup) I don’t think you can blame the US for that.

On the other hand I don’t believe the US would have entered the war directly without Pearl harbour. In fact if the Germans had not declared war it’s uncertain if they would have entered into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

That wasnt strictly true we were neutral either, where did you think those Supermarine Spitfires came from? "they crashed here in good nick and the British never asked for them back?" They were given for U-Boat spotting off the south coast.

We didnt have Spitfires until after the War. We were constantly short of spares for all arms and the British allowed us to keep what force-landed here unless they specifically asked for it back. We also allowed quite a few aircrew to go back across the Border unchallenged, as long as we could keep the aircraft. As for spotting U-boats, RAF aircraft operating from Wales and the Devon airfields covered that. Openly reporting the presence of U-boats would have got us a bombing from the Luftwaffe, which could easily reach any part of Ireland from France, so when we did report U-boats, it was done very discretely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish History

Maybe, but I'm not so sure about that.

The Freestaters had no problem using enemy British army uniforms redyed, artillery and armoured cars during their illegal coup d'etat against the the 32 county Irish Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[MOD]I’m OK with zombie thread necromancy if relevant…. However…

@Irish History

Necromancy with deliberately provocative statements are immediately going to attract attention. I suggest you reaquaint yourself with the Forum Charter, particularly the language about the good order and running of the place.[/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish History

I didn't know there is a problem commenting on older threads. I don't see why there should be.

As for my actual post - my comment was historical fact, and I can back up any of my posts with the relevant period documentation.

It is a historical fact that the usurper unelected provisional 'Southern Ireland' House of Commons had no problem using enemy British army uniforms redyed, artillery and armoured cars during their illegal coup d'etat against the the 32 county Irish Republic.

Advertisement