Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fight Night April 30 BT Sports 1: Conlan and Edwards

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Big Ears wrote: »
    Tbh I loved watching Burnett fight.
    His performance against Haskins was a clinic and I was only delighted to be in Belfast to see him unify Vs Zhakiyanov.

But your previous point wasn't about Booth making fighters boring, you described him as a charlatan.
    He did amazing work with Burnett, and like Shoveller I agree he was bossing Donaire till the injury (he actually went in with an existing problem I believe) and would have won that fight with ease.

You also said he could only be successful with fighters who have power, and Burnett wasn't a puncher. Even if that were true, it was Booth who showed Andy Lee how to turn his hips into his hook, and it was also Booth who taught and reinforced Andy to get low on the inside whenever hooking and exchanging with his opponent.
    Without those amendments, Lee doesn't catch Korobov with that right hook and doesn't win the WBO title.

When Booth took Matty Askin on board I remember several people questioning what Booth was doing wasting his time with an area level fighter.
    Matty Askin became a solid British champion and fringe European level.

Not everyone he trains goes on to be a World beater, but the majority do get significantly better. Are certain fighters more stylistically suited to him than others ?, sure, but that probably applies to all trainers.
    He's no charlatan anyway and from the outside looking in, is probably one of the best trainers the UK has produced in the last couple of decades.

Very valid points,

But Ryan burnett only had 4 losses on his amateur record, and two of those where against the same azaerbaijany fighter, woke fighting in Azerbaijan and the only time burnett boxed him outside of Azerbaijan, Burnet won.

So he was no slouch to begin with.

I personally hated watching Burnett under booth, but that's probably a personal preference to be fair.

Maybe my "charlatan" label was a bit harsh. So I'll leave it at "over rated" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just to add to Big Ears post I'm another one here who loved watching Burnett box.

Very classy, very smart, just an all-rounder who didn't have a big punch.... which with certain clueless people on here means they're not that good, despite boxing history proving this to be complete bullsh*t.

As for Adam Booth, I think he's an outstanding trainer and has nothing to prove in my eyes.

On Conlan, I do think he needs to let his hands go a lot more. He was making him miss but not making him pay. He also could use his very good jab a lot more especially when closing the distance. I still have faith in him though. He's a smart cookie and I believe he'll keep working and improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just catching up on last night’s fights (partly to keep away from Parker Chisora)

Conlon was lucky enough to get that but I did have him by a whisker. I’d be concerned by how he finished I think he lost the last 4 rounds.

Edwards had a brilliant performance he was streets ahead all night. Opponent is well finished. Good fighter but he’s stayed too long and should retire imo. Some of it reminded me of the fight where Adonis Stevenson got badly injured.

Advertisement