Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celestron scope

Options
  • 01-04-2021 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-8se-computerized-telescope

I am looking at this, I am a beginner observer and have wanted to get into astrophotography, this has gotten me excited as it seems a good
    all in one package as it has a mount built in, but I am wondering is it decent for astrophotography ?
    It seems great for observervation at least!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

OK seems this is an alt/AZ mount which isn't suitable for astrophotography, is there a similar option with an eq mount ? which is also decent for observation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

You'd want to be pairing it with a HEQ5 GoTo mount or similar for deep sky astrophotography. Not too sure of weight but just look for mounts that can handle it. Max payload is what determines a mounts capacity (that is scope, camera's, guide scope and anything else being attached to the scope) mount counter balance weights do not need to be added to payload capacity though. For Astrophotography you will also need a good guide scope and guide camera but it definitely is not a requirement, a guide camera will add a longer exposure time, GoTo is tracking on 2 axis the guide camera adjust the DEC axis while the tracking adjust RA (rate at which the Earth is spinning). You could use it for astrophotography though an Equatorial Mount with tracking and the ability to be polar aligned will really get the best use out of the (any) scope.

Advertisement