Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic runs away with the final set after an 'injury'... feel like I've seen that movie before.

Very surprised that FAA beat Shapovalov in such a fashion! Also thought Jabeur would give Osaka more of a match.

Fair play to the bottom half of the women's draw, practically every tantalising matchup has come to fruition. Just a shame there'll be no crowd to enjoy them :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    If Rafa wins this, he'll be only player to win all the slams more than once. I hope he does it.

Apart from Roy Emerson and Rod Laver?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apart from Roy Emerson and Rod Laver?

In the open era, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic runs away with the final set after an 'injury'... feel like I've seen that movie before.

Very surprised that FAA beat Shapovalov in such a fashion! Also thought Jabeur would give Osaka more of a match.

Fair play to the bottom half of the women's draw, practically every tantalising matchup has come to fruition. Just a shame there'll be no crowd to enjoy them :(

I wonder what they are given during the medical timeout, is it just pain killers and where can I get them? :) Seen it with Del Potro one year at the US Open was dead on his feet the first set, has a medical timeout and he is given a couple of pills to take and then goes on to win a 5 set marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Floppybits wrote: »
    I wonder what they are given during the medical timeout, is it just pain killers and where can I get them? :) Seen it with Del Potro one year at the US Open was dead on his feet the first set, has a medical timeout and he is given a couple of pills to take and then goes on to win a 5 set marathon.

Anti inflammatories ..

• Advertisement

Djokovic will retire, he said he knows it's a tear and most likely won't face Raonic, medical scan tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Presume they're allowed an injection though there would be a restriction on the level of dose. Wilander was saying the extended break was a big stroke of luck as it allowed time for the anti inflammatory to take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RTE never mentions Halep on their TV sports news.

I mean they focus on Serena who has no hope of winning, I seriously doubt it she wins it.
    They mention Osaka but nothing about Halep again who won and will now face Swiatek, which is a match that should be so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

So envious of Australia, look at the audience there, we can only dream of this in Europe ...

You were saying...

I got Nadal at 9/1 at start of tournament. 20 quid, so a nice 180 profit if he prevails.

I've gone beyond caring if he breaks Federer's slam record. It's going to happen so I may as well make some money out of it.

That said, I don't think he will win it, regardless of whether Djokovic makes the final or not. No spectators will make his task tougher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Djokovic will retire, he said he knows it's a tear and most likely won't face Raonic, medical scan tomorrow..

There is 0% chance he won't turn up lol. I fully expect him to be close to 100%, and he will need to be!

He Knows how tough an opponent Raonic will be, especially with how important serves are proving to be. He knows this will potentially be his toughest match should he go on to win, hence why he is playing mind games to the press

sxt wrote: »
    There is 0% chance he won't turn up lol. I fully expect him to be close to 100%, and he will need to be!

He Knows how tough an opponent Raonic will be, especially with how important serves are proving to be. He knows this will potentially be his toughest match should he go on to win, hence why he is playing mind games to the press

Good value on Djokovic with the bookies now at 10/3 if you think he's faking it.

Djoko is 6/1 on the exchange now, its very tempting but almost too good to be true. A fair chance he may be exaggerating the severity of the injury but not convinced either way.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I got Nadal at 9/1 at start of tournament. 20 quid, so a nice 180 profit if he prevails.

I've gone beyond caring if he breaks Federer's slam record. It's going to happen so I may as well make some money out of it.

That said, I don't think he will win it, regardless of whether Djokovic makes the final or not. No spectators will make his task tougher.

Nice!!
    I got him at 6.5, also €20 ... I'd be happy to lose that, but I suppose it's a nice bonus when the unthinkable happens and .....

1x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Even before today's game Novak didn't look too convincing. His fitness will be key, even if he was 100% fit I'm not sure he would get past thiem. I do wonder if father age has caught up with him and if he just isn't on the same level mentality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Good value on Djokovic with the bookies now at 10/3 if you think he's faking it.
    I don't think he is faking, I think raonic is better and there will be an excuse

Really looking forward to this match, let's hope it's not a dud. Hard to see Osaka losing this when she's won 3 of the last 5 hard court slams, but you never know. If she lost to a 15 year old last year then I'm sure Muguruza has a shot at least!

Interesting opening set, osaka looked in control early, serving and hitting well but mug just grew into it and looking the more confident. Still think osaka can win it but needs to up the intensity a fair bit.

Watching a bit of vondrousova, looks like a clone of karolina pliskova, as if she's not too bothered about it. Needs a bit more petra about her, or someone to give her a good shake!

Good for hseih, best slam performance of her career and, who knows, maybe not finished yet. Vondrousova was awful in fairness, worst body language i've seen from a top player in some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope Muguruza wins this and Sabalenka also wins, and of course in the morning Halep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Augme

2 match points thrown away by Mugruza. Really went into meltdown after that.

Shame for her as she played very well, gonna hurt not to have finished it when she had the chance. Credit to osaka though, found an extra gear when really needed in the end. Not sure that level wins the title though.

Wow, a Serena-esque escape from Osaka. That is a bitter, bitter pill for Muguruza to have to swallow. It's weird though, even when she was serving for the match I never believed she was going to win it.

Books have sabalenka favourite to beat williams. Understandable i suppose but not sure i could trust her to deliver with the pressure on. No real idea what to expect, a lot of quick rallies for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I don't care who wins, as long as its not that bully Williams. Keep Margaret Court at the top on her own.

The fu5king state of her.

I don't care who wins, as long as its not that bully Williams. Keep Margaret Court at the top on her own.

Margaret Court is a disgusting human being. I don't like Serena either but really want her to break Court's 'record'.

Absolutely not

• Advertisement

Very good performance by halep. Swiatek didnt do all that much wrong, halep just too focussed and determined today.

Advertisement