Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Commuter Rail: Galway-Athenry

• 24-09-2020 9:32pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2020-09-23a.271

Full debate above. Feasibility study to commence on upgrading of this section of line in November and be complete by Q2 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have a few questions:

Could a passing loop in Oranmore happen first, before double-tracking?

If so, would that require a second platform at Oranmore?

Also, would a passing loop at Oranmore help much, without twin-tracking from GY to Athenry?

Also, I hear that in general, shortage of rolling stock is an issue?

There is a class of DMU parked up somewhere, taken out of service in 2008/2009 during Great Financial Crisis, and not returned when traffic returned, as they had deteriorated so much.

The 2019 order for 41 coaches (not trains, coaches!!!) - is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Isn't a commuter rail service consisting of three stops kind of pointless?

AngryLips wrote: »

Renmore/Merlin?
    Roscam?
    Oranmore
    Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Geuze wrote: »
    Renmore/Merlin?
    Roscam?
    Oranmore
    Athenry

Are there proposals for additional stops?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Also, I hear that in general, shortage of rolling stock is an issue?

There is a class of DMU parked up somewhere, taken out of service in 2008/2009 during Great Financial Crisis, and not returned when traffic returned, as they had deteriorated so much.

The 2019 order for 41 coaches (not trains, coaches!!!) - is that enough?

There is indeed a shortage of stock. This will be slightly eased by the order that your referenced, but only slightly.

They looked at refurbishing the trains that were taken out of service, but it was found to be both too expensive and too late, i.e. they would have cost as much as the 41 carriages, and they wouldn't have been available significantly earlier than the 41 carriages. Same with temporarily leasing trains from elsewhere.

Medium to long term, the DART+ projects will free up a lot of the commuter/intercity stock currently serving Dublin. Once this happens, they'll be cascaded out to other cities, such as Galway, Cork, Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

From the perspective that we have very limited rolling stock, probably yes. The idea itself isn't bad though. It's probably worth the money to improve the tracks and the 4 or 5 stations in anticipation of the future population growth. Plenty of opportunity for rail in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    From the perspective that we have very limited rolling stock, probably yes. The idea itself isn't bad though. It's probably worth the money to improve the tracks and the 4 or 5 stations in anticipation of the future population growth. Plenty of opportunity for rail in the area.

I think the idea would be that it makes sense to get work done to make the smaller cities have commuter viable routes in preparation for the 'hand-me-down' surplus of rolling stock that will happen when the new orders come in for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

It will allow for additional stops in the future when required. It will also help Dublin - Galway services and it would massively improve the chances of Tuam been reopened.

It will be interesting to see if IE will try remove crossings as part of this project. There is 9 or 10 crossings (not including farmers crossings) in this section alone. Removing these will get rid of most speed restrictions and allow for the 90 or even increase to 100mph running. It will make doubling to Athlone, with less stations and crossings, look very cheap at a later date compared to this section of line.

Hourly Dublin - Galway services are in IE's future plans but it will also need journey time improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This isn’t just about an Athenry-Galway commuter service.

It’s about delivering additional capacity on the rail network that will benefit regional and intercity rail services.

Doubling Athenry-Galway helps deliver the ability to deliver a more resilient hourly Dublin-Galway Intercity service, increased Limerick-Galway trains, and a potential Tuam-Galway service.

While some trains might start at Athenry, others could be from Athlone/Dublin, Ennis/Limerick or potentially Tuam.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    This isn’t just about an Athenry-Galway commuter service.

It’s about delivering additional capacity on the rail network that will benefit regional and intercity rail services.

Doubling Athenry-Galway helps deliver the ability to deliver a more resilient hourly Dublin-Galway Intercity service, increased Limerick-Galway trains, and a potential Tuam-Galway service.

While some trains might start at Athenry, others could be from Athlone/Dublin, Ennis/Limerick or potentially Tuam.

It also breaks up and makes the cost of reopening Tuam and doubling to Portarlington a lot more palatable.

They should really consider relocating Oranmore to the business park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

IE 222 wrote: »
    It also breaks up and makes the cost of reopening Tuam and doubling to Portarlington a lot more palatable.

They should really consider relocating Oranmore to the business park.
    Wasn't there a station there in the past(near the LC)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Rulmeq wrote: »

Yes, the origional oranmore station was on the Galway city side of the level crossing, beside the Hygeia plant.

527986.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Yes, the origional oranmore station was on the Galway city side of the level crossing, beside the Hygeia plant.
    Was it twin tracked, or have they just completely removed the platform(s)?

Was it twin tracked, or have they just completely removed the platform(s)?

You can just about see the remains of both platforms still. More info here.

Yeah, right beside it. Not sure of the reasons as to why it wasn't rebuilt there. Maybe land for parking was an issue or there's plans for major development on the surrounding lands of the new station. Either way i think moving it would double the numbers using it.

I presume the pre cast sections of the station can be taken apart and relocated.

I presume the pre cast sections of the station can be taken apart and relocated.

Recycling materials from the new station to relocate to the old site would mean no station for an extended period, if they relocate, they cannot have any down time. They can always use the material for a new station in remore or something like that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it takes long enough, the reusable platforms from the existing Docklands may be going spare - although they could open Spencer Dock half-done and move them there. They were very specifically engineered for re-use

Recycling materials from the new station to relocate to the old site would mean no station for an extended period, if they relocate, they cannot have any down time. They can always use the material for a new station in remore or something like that

Could just keep it at 1 platform. Build the 1st new platform and open it. Transfer the current station to the new platform and don't open the second platform until the original one is relocated. Obviously it would need to be done before the double tracking is operational.

Can the sleeper plant produce these precast platform sections. I'd imagine there fairly straightforward to produce.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sleeper plant would be at capacity making the sleepers if there was a decent amount of widening going on

They were unable to tender for Luas contracts due to capacity issues in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Even if a new Oranmore station was to open, surely it makes sense to retain the existing station as a P&R and have the new station more footpassenger/cyclist focused? I'd say there is very little worth salvaging from the existing station from the looks of it;

DSC_4242-M.jpg

Would a P&R with a new junction off the M18 attract enough users to justify the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Even if a new Oranmore station was to open, surely it makes sense to retain the existing station as a P&R and have the new station more footpassenger/cyclist focused? I'd say there is very little worth salvaging from the existing station from the looks of it;

DSC_4242-M.jpg

Would a P&R with a new junction off the M18 attract enough users to justify the cost?

I'd say keeping both would be *barely* justifiable in terms of distance (1.25 km) in a full commuter service scenario. Kishoge to Fonthill is 1.7 km and thats planned to be DART level station distances.

That said from an operational perspective it would be pretty neat.

It will be interesting to see if IE will try remove crossings as part of this project. There is 9 or 10 crossings (not including farmers crossings) in this section alone. Removing these will get rid of most speed restrictions and allow for the 90 or even increase to 100mph running. It will make doubling to Athlone, with less stations and crossings, look very cheap at a later date compared to this section of line.

Can I ask - you are saying that trains must slow down at LC, is that correct?

I know the following LC:

(1) very near Oranmore station
    (2) main LC on Claregalway road
    (3) Ffrenchfort
    (4) very close to no (3)

I think either 3 or 4 is Healy's Crossing?

Distances from Oranmore village centre to current station, and original station:

Current = 1.7km

Original = 1.3km

Not that much difference.

If LC were removed, the Claregalway road would have to be raised or lowered.

Trickly?

L1011 wrote: »
    The sleeper plant would be at capacity making the sleepers if there was a decent amount of widening going on

They were unable to tender for Luas contracts due to capacity issues in the past

I was thinking in general rather than as part of a major project. These things could be produced when there is some slack and stored in Portlaise.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

DSC_4242-M.jpg

Sure most would have to drive past the new station to use the current as a Park and Ride. It would be better to move it and open a station at Roscam as well. Having this random stop in the middle will only delay services.

I think the very point the current station is bare and basic is what make it worth salvaging. Having to demolish buildings, canovy ect would make it a costly exercise. The only lost here really is the tarmac.

Can I ask - you are saying that trains must slow down at LC, is that correct?

I know the following LC:

(1) very near Oranmore station
    (2) main LC on Claregalway road
    (3) Ffrenchfort
    (4) very close to no (3)

I think either 3 or 4 is Healy's Crossing?

Yeah and user crossings as well. They will still pass at speed but not maximum line speed. Max line speed is 90mph but its frequently restricted to 70/80mph meaning 90mph isn't really achievable.

If LC were removed, the Claregalway road would have to be raised or lowered.

Trickly?

If a station was to be placed there you could leave the crossing. It wouldn't have a major effect on stopping trains. It would also reduce station costs with entrances on both sides at road/street level.

• Advertisement

If a station was to be placed there you could leave the crossing. It wouldn't have a major effect on stopping trains. It would also reduce station costs with entrances on both sides at road/street level.

I get you, trains have to stop anyways, so leave the LC.

And no need for tunnel or bridge between platforms?

Would the same apply at Roscam? No need to remove LC, and no need for tunnel/bridge.

The many, many one-off rural houses surely make it more difficult to deal with LC, pity.

Advertisement