Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rushed Covid 19 vaccine

• 12-09-2020 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭

The mods have shut down any criticism or raising of any concerns pertaining to the plethora of vaccines being developed at record speed in the main vaccine thread.

I therefore think it's right to establish a space for those who are worried about the pace at which these vaccines are being developed, without fear of being affixed with the tiresome and facile moniker of "anti vaxxer".

It is absolutely right to question not just the "warp speed" at which these vaccinations are being thrown together, but the very nature of the experimental technology, which involves altering the DNA of those who choose to take it.

I also want to preempt attempts to make any vaccine mandatory, something I'm sure the vast majority -- even those willing to take the rushed, experimental vaccine -- will agree on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I don’t think any democratic government has suggested mandatory vaccines though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I don’t think any democratic government has suggested mandatory vaccines though?

Denmark passes “most extreme” law since WWII, will force vaccinations against Covid-19

https://gript.ie/denmark-law-since-forcing-people-vaccinated-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Denmark passes “most extreme” law since WWII, will force vaccinations against Covid-19

Wow - I’m pro vaccine but don’t think it should be mandatory, although I’m not sure how reliable that article is.

Anyway, while I disagree with most of your views on Covid, I agree you should have a forum to discuss them - enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Aussie PM Scott Morrison sparked a debate when he said a COVID-19 vaccine would be 'as mandatory as possible': “I would expect it to be as mandatory as you can possibly make, under the law". The PM since walked back from the comment, after criticism. He want's 95% uptake, but there is only one way he can acheive that target.

Australia’s deputy chief medical officer, Professor Paul Kelly, earlier said it would not be 'compulsory' (at first) but it was hoped that there would be “strong take-up”.
    The word 'compulsary' is actually a step further than just being manditory. 'Compulsory' means you must have it regardless of your views, beliefs or any objections, i.e. you must 'comply'.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Gript? About as laughable a source as the Liberal.

• Advertisement

jay1988 wrote: »
    Gript? About as laughable a source as the Liberal.

Nice try at deflection! No mods to ride to the rescue in this thread. :o

"As well as enforcing quarantine measures, the law also allows the authorities to force people to be vaccinated"

https://www.thelocal.dk/20200313/denmark-passes-far-reaching-emergency-coronavirus-law

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Pro-Vaccine here...but the idea of the vaccine being rushed is already scary, you have one trial being suspended after someone had an adverse affect...

I understand that there was a base of work already done, with MERs & SARs as that was a head start, but that should still mean the vaccine should take 2-3 years to develop and test...not 9-12 months

I'm developing a theory that the rise of unemployment along with forcing people to stay indoors is breeding more crazies since for a few months there was nothing else to do but go online all day and research comforting conspiracies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm developing a theory that the rise of unemployment along with forcing people to stay indoors is breeding more crazies since for a few months there was nothing else to do but go online all day and research comforting conspiracies

You could be right ;)
    My personal theory is that everyone lives in their own bubble. Sure, some see the outside of it and have an open mind but most don't.

That's why we see so many posts about how Corona is fake. It's a government conspiracy and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What would be the ideal time to avoid taking it where anything dodgy would be revealed? I am thinking 2 years after release?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

From what I've read of the source Gript provides and the one you linked to earlier, there's a claim that "the law allows authorities to force people to be vaccinated" - but gives no further detail about how this will be enforced, can it be enforced, under what circumstances etc,etc. I'd want more detail personally before jumping to conclusions. Also the law was being debated in March - what other developments have taken place since? How can you force people to be vaccinated for a vaccine that doesn't exist?

Gript are not a reliable source on just about anything - just because they are spinning it that Denmark is forcing people to get vaccinated, I would really doubt if that's the whole picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I therefore think it's right to establish a space for those who are worried about the pace at which these vaccines are being developed, without fear of being affixed with the tiresome and facile moniker of "anti vaxxer".

Already Self-establishable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The mods have shut down any criticism or raising of any concerns pertaining to the plethora of vaccines being developed at record speed in the main vaccine thread.

It is absolutely right to question not just the "warp speed" at which these vaccinations are being thrown together, but the very nature of the experimental technology, which involves altering the DNA of those who choose to take it.

I also want to preempt attempts to make any vaccine mandatory, something I'm sure the vast majority -- even those willing to take the rushed, experimental vaccine -- will agree on.

Mandatory, perhaps not. But you should not be allowed into public indoor places without it, if you want your own personal lockdown then fine. However, this would be sometime away after millions will have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

So "the mods" are part of the conspiracy to shut down any criticism of rushed vaccines, but they'll be OK with you starting another thread about it?

Surely either a) they are part of a conspiracy and will thus shut down this thread too or b) that's all nonsense in which case the thread is pointless. Although it's obviously also pointless if a

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread moved to the Conspiracy Theories forum, please read the local charter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Oxford vaccine was paused after one potential issue...

MOH wrote: »
    So "the mods" are part of the conspiracy to shut down any criticism of rushed vaccines, but they'll be OK with you starting another thread about it?

Surely either a) they are part of a conspiracy and will thus shut down this thread too or b) that's all nonsense in which case the thread is pointless. Although it's obviously also pointless if a

This post didn't age well. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm as pro vaccine as they come and even having a quick read of the rigorous testing that vaccines have to go through before being approved, I cannot possibly see how any vaccine could be rushed to the market within 9 or so months.

The one thing quelling my anxiety is that many experts seem to place June-December 2021 as being the earliest possible date a vaccine could realistically enter the market.

I worry that a Russia or China or even USA led government might push a vaccine ahead before time which is a very scary thought indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm as pro vaccine as they come and even having a quick read of the rigorous testing that vaccines have to go through before being approved, I cannot possibly see how any vaccine could be rushed to the market within 9 or so months.

The one thing quelling my anxiety is that many experts seem to place June-December 2021 as being the earliest possible date a vaccine could realistically enter the market.

I worry that a Russia or China or even USA led government might push a vaccine ahead before time which is a very scary thought indeed.

I actually think the Russian vaccine is probably the safest of all the vaccines in development and I wouldn't hesitate to take it. I've read a lot about the Russian vaccine. They used proven technology to produce it and tweaked a vaccine they had for Ebola that they worked on for six years. That's why they were able to produce it quickly.

On the question of a mandatory vaccine, I imagine it won't be mandatory, but that a person won't be able to take part in society unless vaccinated. Awful to think when the survival rate of this virus is over 99%, but that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Nice try at deflection! No mods to ride to the rescue in this thread. :o

"As well as enforcing quarantine measures, the law also allows the authorities to force people to be vaccinated"

https://www.thelocal.dk/20200313/denmark-passes-far-reaching-emergency-coronavirus-law

No deflection here, just the usual with Gript all bull**** headlines and no substance.

But you knew that anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I won't be taking a vaccine under any circumstances. I don't care if I'm a selfish cvnt because I'm in a low risk group an I don't see the need for me to take one. I'd be more afraid of the potential side effects from taking the vaccine rather than covid itself and that's not some anti-vaxxer nonsense.

Pharma companies are lobbying the EU so that the EU will be liable for any potential claims that could arise from litigation as a result of people suffering side effects from taking the vaccine.

https://www.ft.com/content/12f7da5b-92c8-4050-bcea-e726b75eef4d

AstraZeneca have already going be exempt from coronavirus vaccine liability claims in most countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN24V2EN

I don't know about you but the fact that the EU and ultimately us EU citizens as EU taxpayers would potentially be liable for any claims that are made as result of people suffering side effects from taking the vaccine doesn't sit well with me and it doesn't inspire confidence in the vaccine producers when they are already trying to cover their asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

but the very nature of the experimental technology, which involves altering the DNA of those who choose to take it.

Source for this claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I feel there are limits to how far scientists can go towards a vaccine or breakthrough treatment, as evolved a species as we are, we still have our limits.
    I fear a rushed vaccine which might somehow make the situation worse.
    Covid-19 is from the same family of diseases as the common cold for which there is no cure.
    In the last few generations we have been very successful in keeping the vulnerable in our societies alive and well for longer through various forms of treatment. Covid-19 occurs to me as nature striking back, Darwin style.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Pro-Vaccine here...but the idea of the vaccine being rushed is already scary, you have one trial being suspended after someone had an adverse affect...

Yes but this is a study involving thousands and they don't know yet if that reaction was due to the vaccine
    I understand that there was a base of work already done, with MERs & SARs as that was a head start, but that should still mean the vaccine should take 2-3 years to develop and test...not 9-12 months

I don't think lay-people are in a position to judge.

I won't be taking a vaccine under any circumstances. I don't care if I'm a selfish cvnt because I'm in a low risk group an I don't see the need for me to take one. I'd be more afraid of the potential side effects from taking the vaccine rather than covid itself and that's not some anti-vaxxer nonsense.

But you have taken other vaccines correct? and you believe other vaccines work correct?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    But you have taken other vaccines correct? and you believe other vaccines work correct?

Yep but, I'm highly skeptical of this vaccine for the reasons I have mentioned in my previous post as well as not seeing the need for me to take this vaccine.

Yep but, I'm highly skeptical of this vaccine for the reasons I have mentioned in my previous post as well as not seeing the need for me to take this vaccine.

To prevent you from a) getting Covid-19 and b) spreading it to others

Personally I'm not too worried about getting the disease myself, but I am worried about spreading it to e.g. my parents or other older relatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

Pharma companies are lobbying the EU so that the EU will be liable for any potential claims that could arise from litigation as a result of people suffering side effects from taking the vaccine.

https://www.ft.com/content/12f7da5b-92c8-4050-bcea-e726b75eef4d

AstraZeneca have already going be exempt from coronavirus vaccine liability claims in most countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN24V2EN

I don't know about you but the fact that the EU and ultimately us EU citizens as EU taxpayers would potentially be liable for any claims that are made as result of people suffering side effects from taking the vaccine doesn't sit well with me and it doesn't inspire confidence in the vaccine producers when they are already trying to cover their asses.

I don't want to take a vaccine either, but I fear that we may have to to be able to take part in society (go to events, restaurants, use public transport etc). It's horrible, but I fear that's what we're facing.

But if I had to take a vaccine I'd take the Russian one because I believe it to be safe based on what I've read about it. And I mean read. I didn't just watch a few videos on YouTube and come to the conclusion that it's safe.

Dionaibh wrote: »
    I don't want to take a vaccine either, but I fear that we may have to to be able to take part in society (go to events, restaurants, use public transport etc). It's horrible, but I fear that's what we're facing.

But if I had to take a vaccine I'd take the Russian one because I believe it to be safe based on what I've read about it. And I mean read. I didn't just watch a few videos on YouTube and come to the conclusion that it's safe.

Yeah that may be true but I hope it's not as I'd rather keep my freedom of choice to not take the vaccine and protect myself from the potential side effects of the vaccine. If that means that I'm excluded from society then so be it but, I can't see how they'd be able to keep track of who got vaccinated and who didn't unless they implemented some large scale tracking of the population which I think a lot of people would be against but I'm not sure if enough people would be against it for it not to be implemented.

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    To prevent you from a) getting Covid-19 and b) spreading it to others

Personally I'm not too worried about getting the disease myself, but I am worried about spreading it to e.g. my parents or other older relatives

I don't have any older relatives to spread it to tbh so that isn't a concern for me and as I've said already I'd be more worried about the side effects from taking the vaccine rather than getting covid itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement