Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

Padres beat the Dodgers last night
    Getting close out West. Padres now only 1.5 games back and would be winning every other division in the NL

Based on past experience though, I'm not worries yet. Padres are on a serious hot streak, and Dodgers have mellowed since they reached 30 wins. Dodgers have patches like this every season, where they take a breather. Dodgers have 12 games left. Would expect them to finish with something like 8-4
    That should be enough to stay ahead of the Padres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Igotadose wrote: »

I hope BVW is updating his CV. I suspect he's going to be needing it in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭boccy23

ShyMets wrote: »
    I hope BVW is updating his CV. I suspect he's going to be needing it in the coming months

I assume he will go back to being an agent where he is clearly more suited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thank God for that. The J-Rod bid would be another Jeter and the Marlins where they paid so much for the team that they have little or no money left for spending on the team. Whereas yer man Cohen has spent more on a piece of art than the Mets ever have on a free agent. He does come with a big of baggage though, as he was fined $1.2bn for insider trading or something once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thank God for that. The J-Rod bid would be another Jeter and the Marlins where they paid so much for the team that they have little or no money left for spending on the team. Whereas yer man Cohen has spent more on a piece of art than the Mets ever have on a free agent. He does come with a big of baggage though, as he was fined $1.2bn for insider trading or something once.

Not like it's a bunch of choirboys (would they say choiristers out here?) among the MLB owners though. Plus he's richer than them, they'll like that.

• Advertisement

Padres beat the Dodgers last night
    Getting close out West. Padres now only 1.5 games back and would be winning every other division in the NL

Based on past experience though, I'm not worries yet. Padres are on a serious hot streak, and Dodgers have mellowed since they reached 30 wins. Dodgers have patches like this every season, where they take a breather. Dodgers have 12 games left. Would expect them to finish with something like 8-4
    That should be enough to stay ahead of the Padres

Top 2 automatically in anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference anyway. And there's going to a bubble in all likelihood for the playoffs (Dodgers Stadium one of the sites) so home field isn't really an issue this year.

EDIT - Just read that the bubble only starts after the initial play-off round so maybe winning the division is more important than I said above. Even if there are no fans, you still get the home comforts and staying in your own bed every night!

Not like it's a bunch of choirboys (would they say choiristers out here?) among the MLB owners though. Plus he's richer than them, they'll like that.

It'll also raise the value of their franchises too no doubt.

It'll also raise the value of their franchises too no doubt.

Absolutely. Two successful teams in the NYC market means a lot, lots of advertising $$

I'm surprised SNY wasn't included. I thought that was the gem of the Wilpon's holdings, but maybe the baseball part will be separated out somehow and sold to Cohen.

Absolutely. Two successful teams in the NYC market means a lot, lots of advertising $$

I'm surprised SNY wasn't included. I thought that was the gem of the Wilpon's holdings, but maybe the baseball part will be separated out somehow and sold to Cohen.

Apparently he's going to make an attempt to buy that once he gets approved and the deal for the team goes through.

NL bubble will be in Arlington and Houston and the AL one will be at San Diego and LAD. World Series will be in Arlington.

Happy to see the bubble. I'm never a fan of watching baseball in winter conditions like it can be if a teams in Chicago or the North East get in. I just don't like seeing players in wooly hats and head scarves and dressed like they're on an expedition to the South Pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

File under only 2020 things: Monday's double header between Mariners and A's was played under a haze of smoke in Seattle. Tuesday was meant to be the start of a 2 game series between Mariners and Giants also in Seattle. But the smoke wasn't looking better by Tuesday, so Giants and Mariners agreed to move both games to San Francisco, playing Wednesday and Thursday (Thursday happened to be a day off for both teams).

Tommy John required for Justin Verlander. As he’ll miss all of 2021, he’ll be 38 when he gets to come back. He’ll make $33m next season anyway so you’d wonder why he’d bother going through all that rehab.

The Marlins, who were probably hit most by COVID postponements are 10-3 in double headers and on the way to the playoffs. They are under .500 in single header games. Weird season.

EDIT: 10-4 now after evening loss.

Mets dodge atomic bomb sized bullet by A-Rod not getting the team.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1307834304748285953

Mets dodge atomic bomb sized bullet by A-Rod not getting the team.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1307834304748285953

By all accounts I've heard A-Rod is a pretty smart guy. That kind of an idea makes me wonder.

I wouldn't trust Jeff Wilpon to clean my windows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Well at least the expanded playoffs has kept things interesting for the last weekend. I can definitely see this becoming the norm.

.Well at least the expanded playoffs has kept things interesting for the last weekend I can definitely see this becoming the norm.

Not if you're a Mets fan

No off-season thread?

Woo Play-offs. Going to watch so much baseball :D

Watched the Twins vs Astros last night. Not a very exciting game until the 9th, when the Twins had an error costing them a double play, and extra innings.

The lack of fans definitely has an impact on playoff baseball though. The lack of atmosphere was a real negative

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Have 4 games open at the moment, loving this Fall Frenzy

• Advertisement

Can you do that through the mlb app? I was constantly flicking between games last night.
    The Reds really beat themselves last night. Game could still be going on, and they weren't going to drive in a run. Must have been so infuriating for the pitchers

Predictions for today:
    Cincinnati over Atlanta to tie the series 1-1
    Cubs over Marlins to tie series 1-1
    A's over White Sox in a classic to win 2-1
    St Louis upset the Padres and win 2-0
    Dodgers over Brewers to win 2-0

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Can you do that through the mlb app? I was constantly flicking between games last night.
    The Reds really beat themselves last night. Game could still be going on, and they weren't going to drive in a run. Must have been so infuriating for the pitchers

Predictions for today:
    Cincinnati over Atlanta to tie the series 1-1
    Cubs over Marlins to tie series 1-1
    A's over White Sox in a classic to win 2-1
    St Louis upset the Padres and win 2-0
    Dodgers over Brewers to win 2-0

I only discovered it on MLB.tv on desktop the other day, can't do it through the app as far as I know.

As far as predictions, I'll match all the above except I reckon Atlanta will go 2-0 over the Reds.

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I only discovered it on MLB.tv on desktop the other day, can't do it through the app as far as I know.

As far as predictions, I'll match all the above except I reckon Atlanta will go 2-0 over the Reds.

Poor Cincinnati. No runs over the two games.
    Must be tough watching for the fans, nothing to cheer bar some base runners, and Baeur ensuring he gets paid in free agency

Serious lack of action in here since the Nats and Mets are not involved :D

Maybe its my GAA background but once my team is out my interest wanes. I'll still keep an eye on whats happening but ultimately I'm not too fussed about who wins. Once its not the Yankees:)

ShyMets wrote: »
    Maybe its my GAA background but once my team is out my interest wanes. I'll still keep an eye on whats happening but ultimately I'm not too fussed about who wins. Once its not the Yankees:)

Yeah, me too to be honest. I need some to bounce my enthusiasm for the Dodgers against

Go Marlins.

The best pitchers in the NL are out.
    No Bauer or Darvish

Go Marlins.

The best pitchers in the NL are out.
    No Bauer or Darvish

Fair play to them. When you consider how they're season was disrupted with Covid, they've done brilliantly. They're fans would be delighted. If they had any:)

R. I. P. Bob Gibson. Wow, he and Seaver going out in the same year. Gibson had probably the best season in the modern era in 1968. Totally dominating at his best which usually came in a Mets/Cards game vs. Seaver.

I loved that Tim McCarver anecdote, when during a game as McCarver approached Gibson to talk in a tight spot, Gibson shouted "Get back behind the plate. All you know about pitching is that it's hard to hit!"

• Advertisement

Learn something everyday. Ineffective with the Mets, Sean Gilmartin is Mr. Kayleigh McEnany. He was DFA'd by the Rays before the postseason. Ouch.

Advertisement