Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

• 30-07-2019 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Got a second bike (R1200GS) i bought last week put on my policy today with Principle so it's the X11 and the GS both for 340 for the year fully comp. Very happy with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

First time biker (41), 09 Kawasaki Versys. 599 TPFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

PCeeeee wrote: »

Jasus that’s expensive. Who you with?

Jasus that’s expensive. Who you with?

Sorry Principal. CN were worse

Sorry Principal. CN were worse

Usually CN & Principal undercut each other, did you try AXA?

Usually CN & Principal undercut each other, did you try AXA?

No. Cheapest I got was a cbf at 550. Can rem who so I ate it in the end. Better next year I hope

• Advertisement

No. Cheapest I got was a cbf at 550. Can rem who so I ate it in the end. Better next year I hope

go for the full licence once the 6 months is up, also with that and a 1 years ncb you should see some sort of reduction in 12 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Jaysus that's cheap to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Any ideas,
    What should I expect to pay on a 50cc on learner permit? Never insured on a bike but 15 years no claims in a car.
    Thanks

Any ideas,
    What should I expect to pay on a 50cc on learner permit? Never insured on a bike but 15 years no claims in a car.
    Thanks

NCB for a car won’t be taken into account. You’ll start as a raw beginner. As for the price? How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just got fully comp on a Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited , €360 with Principal and €860 with CN.

Guess who I went with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just got fully comp on a Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited , €360 with Principal and €860 with CN.

Guess who I went with.

Some difference that, where do they get their premiums from???

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

€560 fully comp with CN. Full UK license,35,for a 16 Hayabusa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just getting a renewal now and going to shop around this year. Am I right to say CN, Principle and Axa are the only motorbike insurers in the market or are Liberty still doing it?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just getting a renewal now and going to shop around this year. Am I right to say CN, Principle and Axa are the only motorbike insurers in the market or are Liberty still doing it?

Liberty still do it

bladespin wrote: »
    Some difference that, where do they get their premiums from???

Out of their ass by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

The lack of competition really sucks, but it's the broking fees on top you've really got to watch out for, particularly with Carole Nash. Most people only think of the total premium you hear from the agent, but a large portion of this could be a fee the broker puts on top which has nothing to do with the actual Insurer's premium.

I'm from a Border town and my cousin lives about a mile away which is in the North. He recently passed his test and with no NCB and having a license no longer than 2 weeks he was quoted just over £200 TPFT on a Honda CB1300 - he's 29 years old(garaged).

At 30 with no NCB I paid just under €400 for a 125 Varadero (garaged).

The actual Insurer premium for my CBF600 TPFT with 1 year NCB is €276.54; that really isn't bad, as it's parked outside the house in Galway.

On that premium the broker is getting a commission which is around 25%(€69.13) - they also have a separate fee on mine which is €72.50. So of the actual premium the broker is applying a fee for around 26% of the insurance premium making their earnings around €141.

Devil do you remember what the fee was on that quote from Carole Nash?

Sorry I never bothered asking. I was too busy laughing at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on Carol Nash and the broker fee, mine was quoted as €80 this morning which was part of a total of €306 to get insured. I had already rung Axa and got quoted €275, CN came back and said they would match that, I told him I wanted him to beat it so he came back a couple of minutes later with €265 which I went for. So got about €45 off that €80 broker fee which I was happy with, especially as they dipped me half way through the policy for €50 for the bike now being stored on the street after a move of house. But as is said they are not only charging the broker fee they are also getting commission off the insurer so there is decent haggle room there. Next year I'll aim for sub €250 but happy for now.

I had tried to use Libertys online quote but their website is dreadful and it didnt list my model so I gave uo. Had rung Principle too but no answer and they didnt call me back at 10.30am as was scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭horse7

Any idea how much extra for pillion with principal?

horse7 wrote: »
    Any idea how much extra for pillion with principal?

Gor it free of charge when i was with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Got my renewal from Liberty on Monday. €646 for fully comp on a Honda Pan European 1100cc. Only paid €430 something last year for the same policy and nothing has changed!
    Called Carole Nash, got quote for €393 with same particulars. Told the guy on the phone to just take my money. :)
    I didn't even give Liberty a chance to revise their quote. Insurance really is a racket in this country, they pull figures from places other businesses can't reach!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John2451

John2451 wrote: »
    Licence: Prov
    NCD: 0
    Penalty points: 0
    Bike: Ybr 125
    Area: Mayo
    Use: Commuting
    I was quoted as high as 1100 for insurace. Liberty was the cheapest at 457 TPFT drop as low as 283 next year if I stay on the YBR 125.

Second year
    Age 24
    Licence: Prov
    NCD: 1
    Penalty points: 0
    Bike: Ybr 125
    Area: Mayo
    Use: Commuting
    This years quote from Liberty is 315 for TPFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

48yr male back to biking after a lapse of approx 5-6yrs on a R1200RT/2013 approx value €9K/ garaged/tracker/ was pricing fully comp

CN= Didnt want to quote as too long off the bike
    Liberty €908
    Principal via Axa €609

cubix wrote: »
    48yr male back to biking after a lapse of approx 5-6yrs on a R1200RT/2013 approx value €9K/ garaged/tracker/ was pricing fully comp

Liberty €908
    Principal via Axa €609

Ya went with Liberty so 🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Liberty €908
    Principal via Axa €609

Similar age, 10 years off the bike and CN were easily the cheapest on a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800. Sometimes I wonder where they pull their figures from.

Liberty €908
    Principal via Axa €609

Did you try AXA directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Not yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can I confirm that the only insurers for bikes in Ireland are :

Liberty
    Ax’s
    Carole Nash
    Principle

Just got quote for 2009 KTM 690 SMR of €1310 fully comp.
    38 years old, full licence since 2008 but I haven’t been insured since 2011 so my NCB is gone. Essentially starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Yeah those are the only ones.

That quote is mad.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Can I confirm that the only insurers for bikes in Ireland are :

Liberty
    Ax’s
    Carole Nash
    Principle

Just got quote for 2009 KTM 690 SMR of €1310 fully comp.
    38 years old, full licence since 2008 but I haven’t been insured since 2011 so my NCB is gone. Essentially starting from scratch.

That's a crazy quote, also in relation to Principal, their policies are underwritten by AXA. I left Principal earlier this year as they quoted nearly €200 more than AXA themselves did directly. Also of note, if you have car insurance with AXA they will give you a 'six wheel' discount if you take out bike insurance with them. Might be wise to a rider assessment to try and get the prices down.

Advertisement