Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 French Open

Comments

Well must have been a blue hue to the green on the flag wherever I saw her listed!

This is WTA - anything can happen- both unseeded but the Pole is probably playing better.

At least Trevisan beat Coco Gauff earlier to spare us from more reams of shyte from the commentators so praise be.

Gaston could have taken that match actually - couple of bad drop shot attempts cost him two games in a row at the crucial point of the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/52548803

I got 12/12 .... not sure that's a good thing or not ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Kenin came through that very well after some stern early resistance. Been just quietly picking her way through the draw with little fuss.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kenin came through that very well after some stern early resistance. Been just quietly picking her way through the draw with little fuss.

Same as Kvitova really, quietly making her way through the draw. I really want Kvitova to win it all now, but that's usually the kiss of death. Kvitova or Svitolina really, I don't mind.

Would be pretty crazy if Kenin did it though, imagine her walking away from the dumpster fire that's been 2020 with two of the three slams that were played.

Same as Kvitova really, quietly making her way through the draw. I really want Kvitova to win it all now, but that's usually the kiss of death. Kvitova or Svitolina really, I don't mind.

Would be pretty crazy if Kenin did it though, imagine her walking away from the dumpster fire that's been 2020 with two of the three slams that were played.

Kvitova has had it a lot easier than kenin though, i meant more in the sense that nobody is really talking about her, she's still only fourth favourite in the books. That's probably fair enough really but just feel it makes her a little dangerous.

I know where you're coming from with kvitova or svitolina but personally i don't really mind who wins, as long as they play the best tennis getting there. Gun to head, i'd bet on svitolina blowing it again, but it would definitely be nice to see her fulfill that obvious potential. It's a weak line up for obvious reasons so "now or never" does seem apt in the circumstances.

• Advertisement

Never seen Podoroska before, certainly belying her lowly ranking here. Another big shock on the cards.

Podoroska played well but another disappointment for svitolina, just never showed up. Think Swiatek would beat either to be honest.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

And there was me thinking surely there's no way Svitolina could throw this draw away...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

And there was me thinking surely there's no way Svitolina could throw this draw away...

At that stage genuinely believe if only Svitolina entered a slam she'd still find a way to lose. I and my wallet still remember her collapse v Halep a few years ago.

Tough match with Diego and Thiem who could be 2-0 down but has levelled it up a set each. Thiem should win, but this and his Gaston encounter not ideal if Rafa next.

nothing is sure in the WTA.

is this the flakiest ever top 10? - I think that it could be

https://www.wtatennis.com/rankings/singles

Schwartzman proving that the "The big short" is worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Whoever wins this Nadal will roast 6-1 6-0 6-0

Whoever wins this Nadal will roast 6-1 6-0 6-0

Thiem is certainly not looking that convincing.

He's partial to the odd 99 ice-cream for sure.

glasso wrote: »
    nothing is sure in the WTA.

is this the flakiest ever top 10? - I think that it could be

https://www.wtatennis.com/rankings/singles

Women's game is in flux, no doubt about that. But i dont know about flakiest ever, too soon to be judging the likes of barty and osaka imo and i really do like andreescu if she can get injuries sorted. The mid 20s bunch, likes of svitolina, mertens etc are proving a bit of a let down alright. Personally, i do quite enjoy the variety though i appreciate that will be seen by many as a lack of goat or whatever quality.

Whoever wins this will have nothing left for (presumably) Nadal. Looks like we're heading for a shock Djokovic-Nadal final :eek: Although I am interested to see if Sinner can mount a challenge later tonight.

Thiem (or anyone else for that matter in the last 30 years) must have never played two shorter lads in a row in a Grand Slam

1.73m last match down to 1.7m here

A big day for the little guy.

Two very tenacious competitors then with Nadal vs Schwartzman in the semi

glasso wrote: »
    A big day for the little guy.

Two very tenacious competitors then with Nadal vs Schwartzman in the semi

Sinner hasn't lost yet!:P

Diego killed Rafa a few weeks ago and was dominant against him a few years ago before he collapsed so he can hang with him, but obviously after that match beating the ATG on this surface in 5 sets,,,huge ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Thiem didn’t put up much of a fight after being broken in that last set
    Disappointing from probably the best of the younger generation
    Almost like he’s happy enough with the us open win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

6-2 7-5 was a convincing win in Rome. Am I crazy to think Diego has a legit shot at taking Nadal?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Good match for the most of it, happy for Schwartzman who seems like a good guy, but really if Thiem is going to win multiple slams he needs to find a way to solve matches like this (and his last match, which shouldnt have gone to 5 sets, which would have left him fresher for today, etc)Maybe it was too much to expect him to win two slams in a row, with the US Open being his first..

Nadals side of the draw is clearing out nicely...

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    6-2 7-5 was a convincing win in Rome. Am I crazy to think Diego has a legit shot at taking Nadal?

He gave him a really tough match a few years ago but Rafa came through, he has a chance for sure, but beating Rafa here is a monumental effort.

Maybe Sinner does Diego a favor?

Betting fav to win the ladies Swiatek in all sorts of bother early on...:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thiem was tired very early, you could see signs in the first set. Nothing left at all in the 5th.

Too easy for Swiatek ("Schwee-ontik" as Lindsay Davenport pronounces it). Could do with improving her drop shots, some rather pitiful efforts there.

Yes pretty disappointing stuff by Thiem

His only excuse really is that he still hasn't fully reset himself after winning the slam as the French followed on so quickly after.

Definitely not going to be in the class of the big 3.

More of a Murray than a Djokovic and maybe that's being unkind to Murray.

Sinner really taking the ball early.

Having a go.

Taking it to Nadal.

Nice to see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Schwartzman is a fine competitor. Not too surprised he beat Thiem.

Sinner up a break serving for the set now.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Midnight in October probably not Nadals preferred French Open environment, I think it's fair to say

The wizened prune takes the set in the end.

Sinner could easily have tied that set up before the breaker if he didn't hit those occasional really sloppy shots and too many 2nd serves along with his brilliant work.

• Advertisement

Enthralling first set, if inevitable outcome. Hope he can make a match of it although not looking likely with the trainer on court. Hope I'll wake up to find out Sinner pulled off the unthinkable, but..

Advertisement