Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Getting bored with the Coco Gauff hype that's been floating around for the last year. Fully expect she'll dominate the game for her generation but the love in is (IMO) eye-rolling when her game isn't exactly explosive and she hasn't shown much of her personality (how can she when's 15), much like Osaka.

Seen Rod Laver tweet about Coco after her recent win. Not so much for anyone else who wasn't black.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ironic in that if you do "fully expect her to dominate her generation then you are, in your own small way, merely adding to the hype. I dont expect her to do that at all and I'm definitely a fan of hers. Indeed, more of the expert opinion I've heard has been quite cautious, like Becker for example. Hype is just inevitable and so far at least, she's justifying it.

Her beating Osaka is just another sign of how poor and inconsistent the women's game is.

A 15 year-old beating last year's champion?

Then is beaten anyway in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Oh dear.
    Well it's true. Her game doesn't warrant the attention. Kyrgios for example was deservedly talked about when he was 17 or so when he beat Nadal at Wimbledon because his method to beat Rafa was a breath of fresh air. Maybe it's the age, however there's always been up and coming proven tennis talent who's never been mentioned.
    glasso wrote: »
    Her beating Osaka is just another sign of how poor and inconsistent the women's game is.

A 15 year-old beating last year's champion?

Then is beaten anyway in the next round.
    Agreed, although I actually like that about the women's game in some ways. Men's tennis is an extremely predictable sport with the top guys, and even more predictable on the slower surfaces.

Kyrgios was 19 when he beat Nadal at Wimbledon. The game he used to do it was hitting Nadal off the court, just like Rosol and Brown did. What was "fresh" was his age. Gauff is 15 FFS. Sheemade the 4th round last year and she's backed it up since, winning a title and doing well, winning multiple matches at each of her next two slams, at, again, 15!

It's nothing to do with her being black.

• Advertisement

Kyrgios was 19 when he beat Nadal at Wimbledon. The game he used to do it was hitting Nadal off the court, just like Rosol and Brown did. What was "fresh" was his age. Gauff is 15 FFS. Sheemade the 4th round last year and she's backed it up since, winning a title and doing well, winning multiple matches at each of her next two slams, at, again, 15!

It's nothing to do with her being black.
    Fair enough. But there is more hype around her now than there was for Djokovic when he was breaking through. I'm not trying to get at her I hope to be a fan, just saying.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah, to try and attribute the Gauff hype to her being black is ridiculous. She reached the 4th round of Wimbledon by beating a legend of the sport along the way. She reached the 4th round of the Australian Open by beating the defending champion. She became the youngest WTA title-holder in over fifteen years, and all of this achieved at an age in Ireland she'd be doing her Junior Cert exams. It's a huge story, and even more so because it's in a sport that's getting older and more mature and the days of teenage prodigies are almost entirely gone. There's more hype for her now than Djokovic when he was breaking through because Djokovic wasn't doing this at 15. Anyway, it might amount to nothing. Gauff could go on to win 25+ grand slams, or this could be her peak and we won't hear too much more from her after her teens. Either way, whilst it is excessive, the hype for now is warranted.

Anyway I'm glad she lost for now, I just don't think this level of attention/expectation at age 15 could be good for anyone.

Fair enough. But there is more hype around her now than there was for Djokovic when he was breaking through. I'm not trying to get at her I hope to be a fan, just saying.

Djokovic wasn't making the second week of grand slams at 15 though?

Djokovic wasn't making the second week of grand slams at 15 though?
    What male has? Women develop earlier than men. Something like Rafa's form at 17 is more comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Whats the rod laver stuff about anyway? All i can is gauff mentioning after beating osaka that she'd love to meet him and take a selfie, you know a teenage thing, and laver tweeting that he'd be happy to oblige. What more is there to it than that?

• Advertisement

What male has? Women develop earlier than men. Something like Rafa's form at 17 is more comparable.

And Rafa was incredibly hyped...

Well it's true. Her game doesn't warrant the attention. Kyrgios for example was deservedly talked about when he was 17 or so when he beat Nadal at Wimbledon because his method to beat Rafa was a breath of fresh air. Maybe it's the age, however there's always been up and coming proven tennis talent who's never been mentioned.

Agreed, although I actually like that about the women's game in some ways. Men's tennis is an extremely predictable sport with the top guys, and even more predictable on the slower surfaces.

That's true but I'll take that to be able to see actual quality tennis matches in the late tournament stages.

Whats the rod laver stuff about anyway? All i can is gauff mentioning after beating osaka that she'd love to meet him and take a selfie, you know a teenage thing, and laver tweeting that he'd be happy to oblige. What more is there to it than that?

HE'S TERRIFIED OF LIVING IN THIS MODERN PC WORLD SO WANTED TO GET A PHOTO WITH A BLACK PERSON SO AS NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE.

(or at least the thought process appears to be something like that)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

More surgery needed for Del Potro, having it tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/1221435529238994944

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

More surgery needed for Del Potro, having it tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/1221435529238994944

A real shame. An injury free Del Potro the past few years would have been great to have on tour to challenge the big 3. Even with his injuries, he still gave them a good run for their money at times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

This is absolute nonsense to be honest. He's a dick, not a "character". There's nothing hypocritical, as your post implies, about calling out a dick for being a dick.

Nobody was crying out for a loudmouth brat who isn't prepared to put the work in alongside his marvellous talent to turn up on the tour, were they?

Connors, Nastase, McEnroe and a lot more were dicks or characters depending on whether you’re a fan or not. Verdasco is supposed to be dick, and it showed when he was horrible to the ball kid. Again, Fed admits to being an embarrassment to his parents when he was younger. He turned out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Some very interesting matchups tonight on the men’s side:

Medvedev - Wawrinka
    This should be very interesting and can easily be a 5 sets
    thriller. I’ll be rooting for the Swiss.

Nadal - Kyrgios
    I hope Nadal will win without too much trouble but I can see a very close match here with a few tie-breaks. Kyrgios has a shot at taking out Nadal, playing conditions ( very low temp ) should play in favour of the Australian.

Rublev - Zverev
    The first time I believe Sascha is in the 4th round without dropping a set, Rublev is the hot player of 2020 with 2 titles. Rublev and his huge forehand should win here.

Monfils - Thiem
    I’d like Monfils to win but I think Thiem should easily put the Frenchman away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Heres what will happen

Nadal 3 - 0 Kryios ... BORING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Heres what will happen

Kyrgios just won the second set. Now, we have a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

Heres what will happen

Any more predictions from that crystal ball of yours Hector?

• Advertisement

omg, Just saw Medvedev beaten by Wavrinka!!!

Total joke this new talent is.
    Now we know what will happen, Wavrinka will do Nadal a massive favour and beat Djok (he always does) and of course lose 3-0 in the final v Rafa.

The circus continues ....

oops seems Wavrinka is on Nadals half of the draw .... haha is my face red or what ???

and thats it for Kryios ...

And for everyone else ....

AO2020 winner Nadal.

Great match so far.

Quality match alright.

Will take some effort to get back into a winning position now for Kyrgios against Nadal- would be a new departure for him.

That hill is now a mountain.

total joke, Nadal stronger than he's ever been at 34 ... yeah ... sure....

When will the media start asking questions I wonder ?
    I mean when this guy is still winning the French Open at 50, will they still be saying - he's just too good for the newcomers or will they start being honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Kyrgios being shown up here for not doing the required conditioning training to be able to compete in these 5 set matches.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Kyrgios being shown up here for not doing the required conditioning training to be able to compete in these 5 set matches.

in fairness to him it's hard to compete with someone who is obviously on something ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

Kyrgios breaks back, set still alive.

Advertisement