Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best program for reviving my Irish?

Options
  • 07-10-2019 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭

I'm in the process of dusting off my Irish language capabilities and wish to turbo charge the process.

I have the nuts and bolts obviously, it's simply a matter of resurrecting it.

A Pimsleur style program would be ideal because I'm only really interested in speaking the language.

Go raibh math agat.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daonnach

I'm not that familiar with language programs, so I apologise that I can't contribute with a worthy suggestion. But I'm interested in ways to turbo-charge a Gaeilge revival.
    If you come across any good programs or material, do tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I am from the Netherlands but I have a masters degree in linguistics so I was kind of interested in learning some irish. I bought the Buntus Cainte books and used memrise to practice for a while.

For me I lost my motivation because I just dont hear anybody speaking Irish ever at all here in Dublin. I did hear some people speak Irish when I went to the Aran Islands but that's about it.

If there were subsidized language programs so I could learn irish for only a small fee I'd definitely do it. However currently the tuition programs are as dear as for any other language so I just can't justify it. It's also not a language I can practice with anybody I know. I know only one girl (from Donegal) who is a native speaker and a couple people who learned proper Irish but of course they also had their high school education here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

machaseh wrote: »
    I am from the Netherlands but I have a masters degree in linguistics so I was kind of interested in learning some irish. I bought the Buntus Cainte books and used memrise to practice for a while.

For me I lost my motivation because I just dont hear anybody speaking Irish ever at all here in Dublin. I did hear some people speak Irish when I went to the Aran Islands but that's about it.

If there were subsidized language programs so I could learn irish for only a small fee I'd definitely do it. However currently the tuition programs are as dear as for any other language so I just can't justify it. It's also not a language I can practice with anybody I know. I know only one girl (from Donegal) who is a native speaker and a couple people who learned proper Irish but of course they also had their high school education here.

Thanks for your reply. I want to learn Irish so I can access state services and deal with the police in Irish, so it's purely for practical purposes.:o

It really is pathetic that Irish people spend 10 years learning a language yet can't speak it on even a basic level. But I guess the average IQ in Ireland is only 93...

Since there doesn't appear to be any Pimsleur style courses, I think I'll just learn 5 new Irish words a day and go from there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Buntas cainte is on memrise now. And irish is on duolingo too. You can test out of the lower levels and move on to the more challenging areas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If you can afford €190 you can do a 10-week conversational course with Conradh na Gaeilge. My friend is Polish and started it this term. Says it's very good.

There are several courses for all levels, from absolute beginners to advanced.

https://cnag.ie/en/courses/location/courses-in-dublin.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'm in the process of dusting off my Irish language capabilities and wish to turbo charge the process.

I have the nuts and bolts obviously, it's simply a matter of resurrecting it.

A Pimsleur style program would be ideal because I'm only really interested in speaking the language.

Go raibh math agat.:o

I did a top up course years ago.
    However, like you I prefer just trying to learn to speak it better.
    I found in the last few years I have learnt way more by going to ciorcal comhra's and pop up gaeltachts.
    That way you remember the conversions and the context of the words.
    Then when you hear the 'new' word again on TG4 or RnaG your brain goes 'oh I know that word.' xyz said that one'
    Bringing a pen and paper might be an idea so you can jot down something.

And https://www.tearma.ie/ and focloir.ie are handy for looking up words.

You would find ciorcal comhra's and pop up gaeltacht's mentioned on meetup.com
    https://www.meetup.com/Irish-Language-Meetup-Ciorcal-Comhra/

That particular one above is suitable for all levels (from no Irish to fluent) and it attracts all sorts of different nationalities from all continents believe it or not. Some of them have great Irish it would put Irish people to shame.

And there are always ones on in local areas libraries/gaa clubs (cioircal comhra's) and pop up gaeltachts normally happen in pubs every now and again. You would find a lot of them on social media

https://www.facebook.com/popupgaeltacht/

Also if you watch TG4 on the internet you can change the subtitles to Irish instead of English. I find it a much better way to learn the words. If you want you can put them back to English or even leave the subtitles off to test yourself if you re-watch it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

If you can afford €190 you can do a 10-week conversational course with Conradh na Gaeilge. My friend is Polish and started it this term. Says it's very good.

There are several courses for all levels, from absolute beginners to advanced.

https://cnag.ie/en/courses/location/courses-in-dublin.html

190 smackers! :eek: That aint happening. I'll look into the recommended materials and see how it goes.

The problem is, I don't think you can learn a language well from a book, there needs to be an audio component. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

The Michel Thomas Irish method was released last week.

Advertisement