Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random EV thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just back from a fortnight in the south of Spain. Didn't spot a single EV. Plenty of Ioniq hybrids though, for some reason. They must not follow Nyland over there (you don't want those ones he said pointing at the hybrid and PHEV :p) and / or taxation and incentives must be bad for EVs...

Such a contrast with my last trip to the Netherlands only a few weeks ago. EVs everywhere. Must be the second country in the world after Norway for EV penetration. Tesla Model 3 was the best selling car (!!!) in NL in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My wife while parking our rental i3s yesterday just off a paved road decided to “blip” the accelerator to overcome a tree root just like she was driving her old heavy diesel Volvo SUV.......... The screams from me and the kids as we lunged forward toward a Dutch canal with seemingly the thrust of a titan rocket will haunt my dreams for years to come:eek:

The brutal acceleration of the i3, the ability of the skinny wheels keep traction and the brakes of the mini beast surely defy the laws of physics. Despite that we have all fallen for the i3, even with the unusable infotainment system and those silly doors which make quite a lot sense for two small kids who when bored like to play with electric windows.

I hope my wife does not figure out that BMW traffic assist is similar to pro-pilot or we will be trading in our 3 week old leaf for a new pug like i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is my charging scan from last night.

https://flic.kr/p/2gG9i8K

Why does the car, once fully charged, have another hefty peak of around 1.6kW?

Is this the battery balancing I have heard about?

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Quick question.
    In order of power output/speed of charge, what are the general names of chargers. ie. Are the 50KW DC or 350KW DC chargers referred to as "Fast" or "Rapid" chargers?
    22KW AC chargers are referred to as what?

I assume a "trickle charger" is just a standard 3 pin socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,069 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Quick question.
    In order of power output/speed of charge, what are the general names of chargers. ie. Are the 50KW DC or 350KW DC chargers referred to as "Fast" or "Rapid" chargers?
    22KW AC chargers are referred to as what?

I assume a "trickle charger" is just a standard 3 pin socket.

Unfortunately the terms are sometimes swapped around. Even eCars have different terms so there isnt one definitive answer.

Trickle charge AC
    3-pin socket using granny charger @ ~2kW

Slow charge/ Fast charge AC
    Generally anything upto 3.6kW on AC is slow and greater than that is fast but Im not sure there is an exact definition of it

Rapid DC
    <50kW, however eCars call these fast chargers so that muddies the waters a bit.

High Power chargers DC
    <150kW, I think

Ultra high power DC
    >150kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Is it possible to get a ev or even phev that fits 3 baby car seats in the back seat?

You will have to try your seats, it's the only way.

EV - Tesla Model S and X almost guaranteed they will fit, most other EVs not so sure. Ioniq, Tesla Model 3 and Leaf have reasonable rear seating, 3 adults would (just) comfortably fit to give you an idea. All other EVs that I can think of are too small.

PHEV - Try Mitsubishi Outlander and Kia Optima

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference between state of charge BMS and state of charge display are? There's a difference between the 2 of them on my ioniq. Not sure what make of that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference between state of charge BMS and state of charge display are? There's a difference between the 2 of them on my ioniq. Not sure what make of that.

The car lies a little about your state of charge. When the display says 100% it's actually around 95%. This is to allow space for regen and degregation. The SOC BMS is the actually charge level.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BMS state of charge is the actual state of charge
    Display state of charge is what is displayed to you.

When the display state of charge reaches 0% the car will shut down, however there will still be 2-5% BMS state of charge that is not accessible

Similarly at display 100%, BMS will be at 95-97%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

unkel wrote: »
    You will have to try your seats, it's the only way.

EV - Tesla Model S and X almost guaranteed they will fit, most other EVs not so sure. Ioniq, Tesla Model 3 and Leaf have reasonable rear seating, 3 adults would (just) comfortably fit to give you an idea. All other EVs that I can think of are too small.

PHEV - Try Mitsubishi Outlander and Kia Optima

Eniro and esoul? Would they have a bigger capacity?

You'll have to try but I'd say both will have less width in the back than Ioniq / Leaf, so not much chance of 3 kids seats

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cafard

Nolars wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a ev or even phev that fits 3 baby car seats in the back seat?

The only one I've found when looking around before was the Nissan e-NV200 van, as they made a people carrier version of it (called Evalia iirc). 7 seaters with two passenger rows. Unless things have changed though, the people carrier variant is unavailable in Ireland, so would have to be a UK import.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

unkel wrote: »
    Just back from a fortnight in the south of Spain. Didn't spot a single EV. Plenty of Ioniq hybrids though, for some reason. They must not follow Nyland over there (you don't want those ones he said pointing at the hybrid and PHEV :p) and / or taxation and incentives must be bad for EVs...

Such a contrast with my last trip to the Netherlands only a few weeks ago. EVs everywhere. Must be the second country in the world after Norway for EV penetration. Tesla Model 3 was the best selling car (!!!) in NL in March.

also just back from 2 weeks in benalmadena. my folks have a palce there so there every eyar. didnt see a single ev car over there, but also didnt see a single charger anywhere. they have 0 infrastructure by the looks of it. as you said, everything was hybrids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

copeyhagen wrote: »
    also just back from 2 weeks in benalmadena. my folks have a palce there so there every eyar. didnt see a single ev car over there, but also didnt see a single charger anywhere. they have 0 infrastructure by the looks of it. as you said, everything was hybrids though.

What? You didn't see the charger right on the big roundabout in Malaga? :D:D

Or maybe it was Marbella... yep check that... at the big copper cone in Marbella.

https://goo.gl/maps/2YQERNL3GgWYbJhz5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was in belfast at the weekend and did't see an EV's, don't remember seeing any chargers either for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I was in belfast at the weekend and did't see an EV's, don't remember seeing any chargers either for that matter.
    There's around 20 chargers around Belfast City Center, a lot of them run by ESB ecars. 
    Even some rapids just outside the City Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

redcup342 wrote: »
    There's around 20 chargers around Belfast City Center, a lot of them run by ESB ecars. 
    Even some rapids just outside the City Center.

You know anything about cost to charge? Should we be subsidising them?

kanuseeme wrote: »
    You know anything about cost to charge? Should we be subsidizing them?

Subsidising?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭markpb

kanuseeme wrote: »
    You know anything about cost to charge? Should we be subsidising them?

You’re in for a shock if you ever go to London!

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    According to cpinfo.ie both outputs were in use today. It seems to have started communicating on the 11th of July and one and both sides have been used since. There is another charger in clifden too at abbeyglen hotel, see plugshare app but no reports recent, may be for customers

Thanks for this but when I look up the charge point at Clifden, CP:C6NJV, it says it is Gorey.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭zg3409

JPA wrote: »

Thanks for this but when I look up the charge point at Clifden, CP:C6NJV, it says it is Gorey.

Look up CP:C9NGD type2 standard. Station House Courtyard, Galway Road, Clifden, County Galway

Shows use today. I find the ID shown in zapmap works on cpinfo.ie while the id used on ESB ecars app shows wrong locations. Happy charging. Note Galway races on for next week, expect major delays in Cliften/Galway area and busy chargers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ford-signs-deal-with-bord-g%C3%A1is-for-home-electric-car-chargers-1.3974088

Potentially interesting, but zero detail. Interesting to see if they do some EV deal on electricity if you buy the charger off them.

And the one detail I picked out of it all was the "IONITY group, which already has one Irish fast-charging hub up and running near Cashel."
    Hasn't there been 2 for weeks now?

Are electric Ireland still supplying chargers (of out of date spec)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This Report shows the potential of combining renewables wind and solar with EVs.
    https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/the-death-toll-for-petrol-irresistible-economics-of-renewables-and-evs-spells-doom-for-oil

BNP Paribas’ new report, dubbed ‘Wells, wires and wheels’, introduces the concept of energy return on capital invested (EROCI) and examines the link between mobility, energy and capital outlays.

It focuses on how much energy would be returned from a specific capital investment, comparing oil’s contribution to petrol and diesel-fuelled vehicles with renewables - chiefly wind and solar - and battery EVs.

The bank’s analysis concludes that for the same capital outlay, wind, solar and battery EVs can deliver between 6.2 and 7-times more useful energy than oil if it’s priced at US$60 per barrel, roughly the same price as Brent Crude is today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I have the use of our work EV for a few days, first time to drive it in the wet. Crikey the rain / wipers and heater really zaps the battery. My commute is just shy of 59kms and I’ve barely used that amount of battery before but today, driving the same as before, I used over 100kms. Didn’t use AC, didn’t drive much different than before.

Does rain really make that much of a difference??
    No charger at home yet and need to use it for work tomorrow so hopefully will have enough batter to do the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I had started another thread but thought i post it here aswell
    Stealthirl wrote: »
    While looking on the CSO site to reply to a Facebook post i compiled some interesting stats.

Total new car Licensed by fuel type between 2010 and 2018

Diesel 625,531
    Petrol 222,669
    Hybrid 19,555
    BEV 3,220

2018 stats but current pricing on websites and i'm assuming delivery ect not included

Top 10 cars sold with there base price
    Golf €22,495
    Focus €22,850
    Tucson €27,495
    Qashqai €27,570
    Octavia €22,025
    Yaris €15,950
    Sportage €29,850
    Tiguan €32,450
    Fiesta €15,961
    C-HR €27,170

Nissan Leaf was 49th €28,690 and Zoe 148th €25,590

All Ioniq's were 142nd €29745/PHEV €32,745, all i3's were 160th €46,649 [120Ah]

Tesla Model S was 153rd €89,800 (More new S's then i3's sold)
    Stealthirl wrote: »
    Surprised there was only 3,220 BEV's untill the end of 2018, there's been 2,395 added so far this year bringing the current total to 5,615 :eek:
    In the space of 12 months the number of BEV's could likely double, ESB better get moving on new chargers and installing more then 1 FCP per location

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Crikey the rain / wipers and heater really zaps the battery.

Wipers make damn all difference, but heat does, and rain most of all.

What car was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭markpb

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wipers make damn all difference, but heat does, and rain most of all.

Why does rain have an impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't know if rain in the air has an effect, but water on the road will. The car will have to work harder to get through the surface water.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have the use of our work EV for a few days, first time to drive it in the wet. Crikey the rain / wipers and heater really zaps the battery. My commute is just shy of 59kms and I’ve barely used that amount of battery before but today, driving the same as before, I used over 100kms. Didn’t use AC, didn’t drive much different than before.

Does rain really make that much of a difference??
    No charger at home yet and need to use it for work tomorrow so hopefully will have enough batter to do the day.

What car is it? Battery % would be a better gauge than what the GOM is saying.

Rain (and wind) makes a difference but not a crazy amount, in crap weather at this time of year it would mean maybe using 10% of the battery instead of 8% for me to get home in the ioniq (26kms or so).

Advertisement