Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bowman Palace plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Deadly. Looking like a cracking bike! SRAM Red looks deadly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Gosh. I've never named a bike. Wouldn't even know where to start!

Yeah such a great groupset. That dates back to 2012 and has been in constant use racing and training since and still cleans up and shifts a treat.

It's not a super-light build but it's nice. Hard to get it much lighter with any ease. That's a light wheelset, the groupset is very light, most everything that can normally be carbon, is. Except bars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

fat bloke wrote: »
    Gosh. I've never named a bike. Wouldn't even know where to start!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: - How do you people live :D

You need to right that wrong, immediately!

Juliette deserves it :D

Looks more like a Bianca to me ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eeeee wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: - How do you people live :D

'the yellow one'
    'the bronze one'
    'the merckx', aka 'the black one'

etc.

• Advertisement

Well, there's nothing like the crushing disappointment of the first spin on a new bike.

#same'ol-legs
    #reality-check

:(:(:rolleyes:

Bike is built up nearly 3 bloody weeks but I really didn't want the first spin to be a sh1tty wet 'n dirty one. Finally took her out and up the hill yesterday. Feels great. Different to the TCR and the R5, which is good. They all feel different to each other, which is what you want - a bit of variety. Anyway, now that I've exposed her to the elements, broken the precious-seal, and got the first few specs of road grime on her, I can using her away as my main bike ...(literally) going forward. :)

IMG-20200229-132013905.jpg

Well if the first 10k shakedown spin was a disappointment in the legs department, the first proper spin, 90k on Saturday, was a kick in the teeth. Bike was lovely, rode the rough stuff really comfortably, I was delighted with it. Out of the saddle I was hearing a little chafing noise but I put it down to dirty drive train, bikes always make such complaints. But when I got home and gave the bike a thorough wash I saw to my dismay that the wheel had been rubbing off the chainstay on one side :(.
    Brought it immediately back to Bee Cycles who had built it up and we could see alright on closer inspection that the wheel when installed is skewed to one side. It's fine in the saddle but the natural wheel flex out of the saddle under power causes the rub. Its a lot of wear for one spin, and they're not 28's, just GP4000 25's. Bee Cycles thought there seemed to a lot more free play in the dropout on the right hand side than the left, and of course a mm of movement at the wheel centre translates to a much larger movement at the wheel edge.

I've checked several wheels now and they all install the same way. So... all I can do is send it back and we'll see what Bowman's customer service chops are like.
    Either way it's a complete, fuppin, pain in the chamois. :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ah ****e, that's bad luck. Anything around bike forums about this you might be able to leverage?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Ah ****e, that's bad luck. Anything around bike forums about this you might be able to leverage?

I dunno. They do seem to be a little tight clearance wise, but that doesn't excuse my issue.

Look. I've been in touch and they've said "send it back for assessment". So.... gotta do that first. It's the kind of thing that can put a fella off a bike though isn't it. For me it is anyway. I had my other bikes cleaned and salted (not literally) away with the intention of riding the Bowman full time but now. There's no easy seamless sorting of it out in the short term so ... 'tis all up in the air until.

Ah shhite indeed!!!! Have been following this thread with great interest while debating on next frame, will watch with interest to see how it all pans out! Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Not intending to rub it in, but I did not have similar problems with my Bowman, built a few weeks ago.
    Happy with it 1,000 km in.

Not intending to rub it in, but I did not have similar problems with my Bowman, built a few weeks ago.
    Happy with it 1,000 km in.

Good to hear you sorted it, would you mind telling me how it worked out?

Good to hear you sorted it, would you mind telling me how it worked out?

Not sure if you mis-read my post: I did NOT have similar problems.
    If you're wondering what I have, it's Centaur, rim, 11-speed.

Not sure if you mis-read my post: I did NOT have similar problems.
    If you're wondering what I have, it's Centaur, rim, 11-speed.

Sorry! Completely mis-read, yes. :o

What wheels and tyres have you on it? Bowman said that gp4000's in a 25 on a narrow profile wheel can actually be quite tall.

Sorry! Completely mis-read, yes. :o

What wheels and tyres have you on it? Bowman said that gp4000's in a 25 on a narrow profile wheel can actually be quite tall.

23's I'm afraid. I've had GP4000 and GP5000 23's on it.
    Not sure of the rims I have on it right now, I'll come back to you on that. Nowhere near rubbing anyway, from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Ah thats a pile of poo. Before I got mine I had read that tolerance was a bit tight on 25mm tyres but I haven't had an issue on mine. I have similiar Mavis wheels on mine and also have GP4000 25mm on it. The mavic wheels can be a bit flexy on climbs but I seem to be lucky in the stars aligned on the frame and nothing is rubbing.

Hopefully Bowman sort you out

Well I shipped her off on Friday, so I imagine I'll hear back soon enough. I think I'll source some 23's of some description to be on the safe side. That's if it's even possible to get 23's anymore!

Or I might even lash a different wheelset on, though I really like the mavics and they contribute significantly to the overall lightness of the build. - Anyway, tis in the lap of the Gods yet for the mo'.

AFAIK mine's a Cycleops Powertap R3 alloy rim.
    No other markings unfortunately.
    Have used with Campag Eurus also without issue.

Again, all GP4000/GP5000 23's.

Interested to hear what Bowman say.

@Fat Bloke - I have a bunch of 23's tubes and tyres all unused and gathering dust, you're welcome to them if you want them. Hope Bowman sort your frame out though, be fairly bad form if they don't and very bad PR too.

bsb1971 wrote: »
    @Fat Bloke - I have a bunch of 23's tubes and tyres all unused and gathering dust, you're welcome to them if you want them. Hope Bowman sort your frame out though, be fairly bad form if they don't and very bad PR too.

Can't very well say no to that if you're sure you've no use for em! Thanks man :)

• Advertisement

Drop me a PM and we'll see if we can sort getting them too you. I'll take look and see exactly what I have tomorrow.

Latest update then.

Credit where it's due. Bowman have come back to me with customer service response that is above reproach.

They acknowledge the manufacturing defect but they're out of stock of the frame I purchased in my size. So they have offered me:
    - a refund
    - or I can take my choice of another frame from their range (Palace 3 or a Weald) but as far as I am aware they are both disc frames which I don't want.
    - or if I can wait until May I can have what appears to be a new model Palace R (rim braked option available) for no extra cost.

Not sure what I'll do tbh. It's really only option 1 or 3 for me. Call it quits, take the money and run, but what else would I buy for the money? - I got the frame on their 25% off deal so I'd be getting of the order of 700 quid back and I can't see another frame around for that money that would have the cachet / performance / desirability / uniquity etc etc. I'm tempted by the offer of their brand new updated frame for no additional cost, but I know nothing about it and there's no info on the web about it either so I don't know what it's like or how it looks or rides or... nuffink. Don't even know the colour scheme, and tbh the celeste/black was one of the main things that drew me to the company and frameset to begin with. Also May is quite a while away and with the the world in such a state of chassis, who's to know that May wouldn't turn into June/July/August.... and onward.

Anyway, choices are always good. I've asked for a bit of info on the new frame and we'll see what they come back with.

Keep us informed, intrigued they have a new frame coming out shortly, especially after they changing the colour scheme on the frame. Love to know what they are doing in the new frameset!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'm sure they can do the new frame in Celeste/Black if you ask nicely :-) Hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I'd be amazed if they didn't do the new one in black/celeste. Fair play to them for not messing you about. tricky call though given leadtimes at the moment cant really be garanteed. I think if it was me I'd risk waiting for the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

With the current x-rate I’m thinking of jumping and buying one. List price £449 am I mad?

Very limited stock in the Palace R it seems, but if you can get one in your size then it's a great deal certainly. Or are you talking about the the other frames, the Palace 3 or the Weald?

Both lovely but disc only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Very limited stock in the Palace R it seems, but if you can get one in your size then it's a great deal certainly. Or are you talking about the the other frames, the Palace 3 or the Weald?

Both lovely but disc only.

£465 + shipping in short or shorter sizes only from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's an ex-VAT price though, still £560 + shipping. Sizes 50 and 52 left.....hmmm, must close the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

EX vat... ahhh.... a 52 would be perfect too... tempted.

Advertisement