Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 MLB Postseson Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If Boston wins tonight, there’s no games till Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Jeez, what the hell happened there?

Holt hit for the cycle in the postseason. First player ever to do that, amazing.

Also, Angel Hernandez was the ump at 1st and the typical disaster he is. Really should be gone after this season. 3 calls overturned and one that was dubious. Amazing he gets any postseason gigs.

Seems like the Y*****s pitching was awful, too. And CC's pitching tonight, might be all over in the Bronx, Bostons will have all the momentum after last night.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Bostons will have all the momentum after last night.

I’m not a big believer in momentum. Didn’t the Yankees have all the momentum after Game 2? How’d that work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I’m not a big believer in momentum. Didn’t the Yankees have all the momentum after Game 2? How’d that work out?

Going to be interesting tonight. Porcello hasn't been great this year, CC the same but I imagine both will be on a short leash. Boston's lack of a bullpen could hurt them in games like this, but even if they lose they go back to Boston knowing Sale will be on the mound so the Red Sox definitely got a massive advantage right now

Igotadose wrote: »

Also, Angel Hernandez was the ump at 1st and the typical disaster he is. Really should be gone after this season. 3 calls overturned and one that was dubious. Amazing he gets any postseason gigs.

Just read he's behind the plate this evening. Should be fun!

• Advertisement

So the top 4 seeds are all through.
    The Red Sox and Astros series should be excellent, so no doubt that it will be finished in 5 games
    Brewers and Dodgers could be an epic 7 game series. Dodgers have been so hit and miss this season, that them hitting a slump wouldn't shock me too much

Head says:
    Astros in 7
    Brewers in 7

Heart says:
    Sox in 6
    Dodgers in 6

Should be two great series anyway.

Two contrasting views of Angel Hernandez’ performance last night.

https://deadspin.com/game-4-winning-pitcher-i-though-angel-hernandez-calle-1829645060

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Should be two great series anyway.

Should be, have a feeling both will be short ones though.

Should be, have a feeling both will be short ones though.

I don’t know. I could see both going at least 6.

And who do you have winning each?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just watched last couple of innings from last night. God the bottom of the 9th was nervy, great play by Pearce on the bag at first to make that stretch.

Let's go Red Sox!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I think they will be two decent series.Im gonna go sox in 7 and dodgers in 6.

Pumped for tonight.
    Dodgers to win 7-1

bazwraf wrote: »
    Pumped for tonight.
    Dodgers to win 7-1

I don't know much about the Brewers but surely they have a better pitcher than Gio Gonzalez to go in game 1? I presume he's on a very short leash.

Maybe more suited to the 2018-2019 Off-seAson thread that doesn't exist yet, but Didi Gregorios has to undergo TJ surgery. Won't miss all of next season but will miss a big chunk I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Sale vs. Verlander looks very tasty for tomorrow. Surprised that Red Sox are starting Price in Game 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Grandal having a mare tonight. Oh and Kershaw gives up the first post season homer to pitcher batting left handed to a left handed pitcher...apparently.

Brewers lucky to escape with a win last night but I think LA will still best them over the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Brewers lucky to escape with a win last night but I think LA will still best them over the series.
    Yea, Brewers leaned heavily on their bullpen so there could be a few arms not available tonight. Dodgers will need to smarten up their defence especially behind the plate.

• Advertisement

This game is great. Brewers got out of a major jam there. Dodgers have no one left on their bench now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

This game is great. Brewers got out of a major jam there. Dodgers have no one left on their bench now.

And it takes another turn...

And it takes another turn...

Yeah, great stuff.

One thing I hate about postseason baseball on Fox Sports: Joe Buck does the calling

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Pleasantly surprised to see there is a (albeit small) baseball following in Ireland! Both my teams (Yankees and Blue Jays) are out at this point.

Well I guess the Red Sox really need David Price to come out and pitch his best game tomorrow or else they'll be in a 0-2 hole before going to Houston.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Well I guess the Red Sox really need David Price to come out and pitch his best game tomorrow or else they'll be in a 0-2 hole before going to Houston.

Red Sox and Astros had comfortably MLB's biggest positive run differentials in the regular season. The Red Sox did it not by the strongest pitching, but by scoring much more runs than anyone else in baseball.

The pitchers have to be above average for sure, but Red Sox don't pin win hopes on their pitchers winning the game. They'll give up runs but this is definitely a case of "we'll try to score more than you" this season.

Last night was another example. Score 4 runs in the first 3 innings? Fine, we'll still lead the game and keep ahead.

There won't be any 1-0 wins for Boston this post-season. They'll need to get the bats hot again for Minute Maid Park to stay in the series.

8-10 wrote: »
    They'll give up runs but this is definitely a case of "we'll try to score more than you" this season.

Last night was another example. Score 4 runs in the first 3 innings? Fine, we'll still lead the game and keep ahead.

The old ‘Kevin Keegan’ method eh?

Hopefully for you it works out better for Boston than it did for Newcastle.

Nice that Boston could bail out Price last night. I know he wasn’t great but the fact that they didn’t lose, has to help his confidence a bit wouldn’t you think?

Sale being sick is worrying though. I know he’s not due to pitch until game 5 but this can’t be good for his preparation.

Late night game tonight. No chance of me staying up for even an inning. Just hoping Dodgers can get the win tonight.
    Need some hot bats.

Seems that the Dodgers are playing the patient game, and running up pitch counts as often as possible, and hoping to get to the Brewers bullpen late in the game, and also late in the series. A comfortable, but close win would do nicely. A blow out would just mean that the Brewers dont bother wasting their good bullpen guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Cousins are from Wisconsin so I 'll shout for the Brewers but my number 1 team is the Orielos. Brewers need this next game and even then they might struggle. Dodgers have broken their winning streak and it might be hard to get it back.

Advertisement