Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Duolingo Japanese course

• 19-05-2017 12:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Japanese is now available on iPhone and soon on Android and Desktop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I wish they'd stated that initially, as I almost exclusively use Duolingo on the website.

I was so excited that on the day they were supposed to launch Japanese I kept returning to the site every hour or so, and eventually I reckoned that the date was probably based on California time. So I actually set my alarm early the next morning, like an excited child on Christmas Day, got up, logged on, only to find that it was only available on the iPhone.

Ripping, I was.

I personally don't see the point of Duolingo on the phone, other than maintaining one's streak. The website is the only way to get any serious work done.

Still, hopefully it'll be good when it eventually does arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Lucena wrote: »
    I wish they'd stated that initially, as I almost exclusively use Duolingo on the website.

I was so excited that on the day they were supposed to launch Japanese I kept returning to the site every hour or so, and eventually I reckoned that the date was probably based on California time. So I actually set my alarm early the next morning, like an excited child on Christmas Day, got up, logged on, only to find that it was only available on the iPhone.

Ripping, I was.

I personally don't see the point of Duolingo on the phone, other than maintaining one's streak. The website is the only way to get any serious work done.

Still, hopefully it'll be good when it eventually does arrive.

Just curious. What language are you leaning and how much do you do a day on Duolingo? I'm learning German and target 30 points per day.

Hard to say how much I do, mostly do 20/30 points a day, but when I've more time (weekends, OH away etc.) I'll do around 100 a day. So probably around 50 a day on average.

I'm learning German and Italian, and I tend to focus on whichever one I'll be using next (I live near enough to both Italy and Germany).

Even though I studied German for a year in university, it's a good bit harder than Italian, which is very close to French.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Lucena wrote: »
    Hard to say how much I do, mostly do 20/30 points a day, but when I've more time (weekends, OH away etc.) I'll do around 100 a day. So probably around 50 a day on average.

I'm learning German and Italian, and I tend to focus on whichever one I'll be using next (I live near enough to both Italy and Germany).

Even though I studied German for a year in university, it's a good bit harder than Italian, which is very close to French.

Cheers. Do you think it's helpful to learn two language at the same time?
    I find the German pretty good.I lived in Germany for a while and I wish I had Duolingo back then.

Doing two languages at a time is probably not the best way to learn, but it works for me, as I'm motivated by the fact that I'll be using whichever of the two languages next time I go to the country concerned. It's probably easier though seeing as I'd already studied a bit of both of them, and they're not too similar.
    I wouldn't recommend doing two similar languages at the same time though, in order to avoid confusion!

• Advertisement
Advertisement