Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Bargains [Groceries]

Options

Comments

I know this isn't the right place but please indulge me a moment. When my Mum goes grocery shopping she usually gets a few different ice cream products i.e Vienetta, Vanilla, Magnums. Between the time she puts it in her trolley and when the she gets home in the car the ice cream can be melting and running into liquid.

My question is are there special bags or something that she can put the ice cream in and it will keep the temperature lower for longer? I seem to remember some supermarkets had silver coloured insulating (?) bags some years back but I don't see them around anymore.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

I seem to remember some supermarkets had silver coloured insulating (?) bags some years back but I don't see them around anymore.

Tesco sell these,also available in Aldi... ask in store... :)

Ah thank you! That simple eh? It was actually going to be my next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

VanZan wrote: »
    I know this isn't the right place but please indulge me a moment. When my Mum goes grocery shopping she usually gets a few different ice cream products i.e Vienetta, Vanilla, Magnums. Between the time she puts it in her trolley and when the she gets home in the car the ice cream can be melting and running into liquid.

My question is are there special bags or something that she can put the ice cream in and it will keep the temperature lower for longer? I seem to remember some supermarkets had silver coloured insulating (?) bags some years back but I don't see them around anymore.

If you happen to have an Iceland near you, they usually do the silver insulated bags. Otherwise I would suggest doubling up the shopping bags, the heavy ones (ie ones they sell in Aldi/Lidl) and putting all the frozen goods in together. This should help to hold the temperature. The other thing you could so is get a foil lined picnic bag which would also help retain the coldness. Hope that helps. You are either a very thoughtful son or you really like your ice cream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Think I saw them in tesco recently alright.

I carefully select my frozen stuff, from the bottom of the freezer, stuff on top might be warmer due to air or being recently restocked. They should also be all stacked together neatly in your trolley and bags -to keep each other cold. And have them last on your shopping list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Maybe when you ask your Mum for a magnum and she says they melted on the way home, she could be telling a little white lie?
    :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

What about throwing a cool-box into the car before she goes and stick the frozen products into it in the car boot?
    You know the type of cool-boxes that people use for picnics to keep salads cold etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Seems like a good deal on some multibuys at the moment, three for €3 on a range of chocolate snacks, O'Donnell crisps 125g size and Miwadi.

But Tesco are bad at either having the shelf tags wrong or else the items are not coded right to be included. Went in tonight and bought six of the O'Donnell crisps and six packs of multipack bars (2 x Yorkie, 1 kitkat, 3 Cadbury Snacks). I had other stuff including alcohol, so went to a cashier. I knew the total should have come to just over €40 but came to €44.59 as some of the multibuy savings didn't come off. But receipts are so confusing as it lumps all the savings on one line instead of showing per item, so no easy way to tell what didn't deduct right.

I usually use self-checkout and if I'm in doubt about whether a group of items qualify for a deal, I'll scan that group of items first and hit subtotal. At least I can leave them there if the savings don't come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭dasa29

leck wrote: »
    Seems like a good deal on some multibuys at the moment, three for €3 on a range of chocolate snacks, O'Donnell crisps 125g size and Miwadi.

But Tesco are bad at either having the shelf tags wrong or else the items are not coded right to be included. Went in tonight and bought six of the O'Donnell crisps and six packs of multipack bars (2 x Yorkie, 1 kitkat, 3 Cadbury Snacks). I had other stuff including alcohol, so went to a cashier. I knew the total should have come to just over €40 but came to €44.59 as some of the multibuy savings didn't come off. But receipts are so confusing as it lumps all the savings on one line instead of showing per item, so no easy way to tell what didn't deduct right.

I usually use self-checkout and if I'm in doubt about whether a group of items qualify for a deal, I'll scan that group of items first and hit subtotal. At least I can leave them there if the savings don't come off.

I don't think Kitcats were included in the 3 for 3 deal(31/05/2017 - 06/06/2017). They are on a 2 for 3 deal(31/05/2017 - 27/06/2017) instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That's when you can take advantage of their double the difference policy. I have many times, most of the time the cashier at customer services tries to fob me off (they like to pretend it doesn't exist), but I get it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

That's when you can take advantage of their double the difference policy. I have many times, most of the time the cashier at customer services tries to fob me off (they like to pretend it doesn't exist), but I get it in the end.

Sounds sore!

dasa29 wrote: »
    I don't think Kitcats were included in the 3 for 3 deal(31/05/2017 - 06/06/2017). They are on a 2 for 3 deal(31/05/2017 - 27/06/2017) instead.
    Agh! that was probably it. The website is certainly showing Kitkat Chunky 4pk now in a 2 for 3 deal. Will check tomorrow to see if they have the wrong tag up. At worst I can get a free Kitkat - one is €3.15 while you can get two for €3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

3 x 6 pack of Diet 7up for €5 (18 cans)

3 x O'Donnells Crisp for €3 (The big bags usually priced at €2 each. I got the Ballymaloe ones, yum)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

degsie wrote: »
    Sounds sore!

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Tesco tuna chunks in brine 160g (120g drained) reduced to 71c a can.
    This is the cheapest across all supermarkets - basic price is usually 77c for 112g drained

Tesco Sardines In Sunflower Oil 120G reduced to 46c
    Butterfly can opener back in stock for 80c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Tesco branded Alaska Salmon 550g packs are listed at €11.99 but on sale with a fiver off so €6.99 is the advertised price but is scanning at just €4. I doubt if this is store specific as I scanned it on the self service till with the barcode. I was in the Tralee Abbeycourt store.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

River rock 2litre still or sparkling is €1 and it's buy one get one free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Reeses peanut butter cups 4 pack €1.49. Should be every where.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

vicwatson wrote: »
    River rock 2litre still or sparkling is €1 and it's buy one get one free

Eurospar where I am are selling 2 bottles of Volvic 1.5ltre for €1.50 - great value.

kn wrote: »
    Tesco branded Alaska Salmon 500g packs are listed at €11.99 but on sale with a fiver off so €6.99 is the advertised price but is scanning at just €4. I doubt if this is store specific as I scanned it on the self service till with the barcode. I was in the Tralee Abbeycourt store.
    You don't say if refrigerated or frozen, I'm guessing not tinned at that size. Maybe it's this one, but it's 550g - https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264602391

I wouldn't put any weight on the fact that it scanned at a lower price at your Tesco. Prices vary all over the place between Tescos for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

You don't say if refrigerated or frozen, I'm guessing not tinned at that size. Maybe it's this one, but it's 550g - https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264602391

I wouldn't put any weight on the fact that it scanned at a lower price at your Tesco. Prices vary all over the place between Tescos for no apparent reason.

Yeah that's the one. Surely the barcode pricing is the same everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

Yeah that's the one. Surely the barcode pricing is the same everywhere?

They were never that full price before, if I recall correctly. Remember always paying around a fiver for them. They're lovely BTW...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Tesco branded Alaska Salmon 550g packs are listed at €11.99 but on sale with a fiver off so €6.99 is the advertised price but is scanning at just €4. I doubt if this is store specific as I scanned it on the self service till with the barcode. I was in the Tralee Abbeycourt store.

There were two frozen salmon offers when I looked. a €4 one and a €6.99 one.

this one for €6.99
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

this one with 4 pieces for €4
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Unusual for tesco to have a real wine offer (most of their wines have artificially high prices to fool customers when they are reduced)

Anyway marques de caceras 2012 crianza, marked at €15 (available most places at €12.50), on offer in their 6 for €50 deal. + extra 5% off which seems to deduct from the €15 price.

So 6 bottles of quite good and rather delicious (glass in front of me) crianza for €45.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Unusual for tesco to have a real wine offer (most of their wines have artificially high prices to fool customers when they are reduced)

Anyway marques de caceras 2012 crianza, marked at €15 (available most places at €12.50), on offer in their 6 for €50 deal. + extra 5% off which seems to deduct from the €15 price.

So 6 bottles of quite good and rather delicious (glass in front of me) crianza for €45.50.

it is a lovely wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

They now have 250g punnets of very nice cherries for a euro a each, so 4 euro a kilo - Suntrail farms is the brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

CeilingFly, any idea how long the wine offer will be running??
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

mikep wrote: »
    CeilingFly, any idea how long the wine offer will be running??
    Thanks!

Haven't a clue. Sorry.

Its 6 for 50 + 5% off and there are about 6-7 choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Haven't a clue. Sorry.

Its 6 for 50 + 5% off and there are about 6-7 choices.

Unfortunately not in Lucan Tesco :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

B0jangles wrote: »
    They now have 250g punnets of very nice cherries for a euro a each, so 4 euro a kilo - Suntrail farms is the brand name.

Thought this price was a mistake in my local store. It's half the price they are per kg in most shops

Advertisement