Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Anyone looked into some projections for our cap room for next season yet?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Been up to my eyes these past few weeks with exams, training & work. So I hope ye don't mind me giving some belated thoughts on the AFC title game. We never play well in Denver at that altitude so I was expecting the loss. Our shockingly bad O line was a disgrace as most of us feared, they cost us the game and another Superbowl shot. But tbh, I never expected them to play so badly. That said and despite all that, it's a game we could have won at the end. So in many respects I'm proud of the team for their toughness in hanging in there and for the fight that they showed. And feck there's no tougher QB in this league than Brady, he took a record amount of shots & hits and he still kept fighting when most other QB would have been dropping into the foetal position.

DeGuglielmo moving on came as no surprise and I'm glad they had the sense not to extend him. Yes when he took over, he had a fair few O line wasters to deal with. But throughout the season, we saw repeated mistakes by the O line. In the AFC game itself, he failed to make any adjustments to improve Brady's chances and for me that's on the coaches shoulders. I also hope to see Canon, Fleming and Kline follow him out the door because imo, none of those are even worthy of being back ups. So once again we enter an off-season with the O line being a priority and Belcichick needs to have this issue sorted by next September.

Looking at the contract situation, I think we need to sort out Hightower, Collins and Butler and I hope they do before 2016. I couldn't careless about Jones staying or going back in September and he's done nothing to change my mind since then. In fact as a 1st round pick, I think we could really leverage a nice quality trade using him. And I'd like us to swap him out for a quality addition to the O line.

On the offensive off the ball, we need to get rid of Chandler and LaFell because neither of them contributed anything to the offense in 2015. We also need to get an effective running game back, because if you haven't got one, you're not keeping defenses honest and are undermining your own pass game. So hopefully we'll pick up a quality RB from the draft or FA. The AFC title game also took me back to Vereen :(, the guy caught every ball in the superbowl (11) and we let him go for the sake of saving 1/2 million a year. We certainly missed him in Denver because White's 5 catches from 16 targets was far from good enough. Having Vereen's talent in that game could have been the difference maker for Brady.

But that's all water under the bridge now. Looking on the positive side, we've a lot to look forward to for 2016. We were brutalised with injuries this year so I think we deserve a rub of the green for next year. Brady is as good as ever and I think he had a great season playing behind one of the worst O lines in the league. Gronk is not human and just can't be stopped, even when he isn't 100%. So roll on 2016 and the if key areas are addressed on the team, then I'll be really looking forward to a more successful run.

Anyone looked into some projections for our cap room for next season yet?

I read somewhere, that the 2016 cap will fall within the $147 - $155 million dollar range. Looking at our roster right now, by cutting Mayo, Canon, LaFell, Chandler (TE) and maybe restructuring the likes of Amendola we could generate an extra $20 million in cap space. Of course we'll have to consider that some key players on the defensive side of the ball will be getting a chunk of that, if and when we start locking up some new contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Beyond the obvious attention needed to the OL, I think that the offense as a whole could do with a bit of balancing. Brady isn't getting any younger and could really benefit from being able to ease the pressure with a competent running game. Tired of watching Brady killing himself to make throwing plays, it only takes one bad hit at this stage for his career to be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Davina Many Ignoramus

Having Lewis back (hopefully at 100%) will be a big addition. It'll feel like a new signing. He was a big loss, as he was making guys miss and turning 2yd gains (i.e. Bolden/Blount) into 6-7yds on first or second down. And he was huge as the 3rd down back as well (looking like a more dynamic Vereen).

Addressing the OL is the priority. Even a decent performance against the Broncos and the Pats are likely in the SB. Either free agency, draft, or improved coaching; it's has to pass protect and assist in the running game a lot better than '15.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Davina Many Ignoramus

Having Lewis back (hopefully at 100%) will be a big addition. It'll feel like a new signing. He was a big loss, as he was making guys miss and turning 2yd gains (i.e. Bolden/Blount) into 6-7yds on first or second down. And he was huge as the 3rd down back as well (looking like a more dynamic Vereen).

Addressing the OL is the priority. Even a decent performance against the Broncos and the Pats are likely in the SB. Either free agency, draft, or improved coaching; it's has to pass protect and assist in the running game a lot better than '15.

I'd be happy to get Morris in FA, quality player with a fantastic attitude.

Maybe it's my old age, but when I was speaking about Vereen yesterday, I completely forgot about Lewis :o (Ya, I don't know how that was possible). He was a fantastic edition to the offense and losing him proved to be huge, because we sure could have done with him Denver. Hard to say how he'll be next year because some players do need a full year under the belt to get back to 100%. Hopefully though Lewis won't need that, because having him fit and fully capable already significantly improves our offense for 2016.

Tired of watching Brady killing himself to make throwing plays, it only takes one bad hit at this stage for his career to be over.

Just thinking back to what you said, we really were lucky that Brady got through the season alive with that 'protection' in front of him. No matter how good he is, it's crazy to have him making 40-50 pass attempts in a game. Next year I'd like to see us keeping his attempts south of the 35 attempts per game mark. Hopefully they'll be able to bring a run game to help him do that.

In many ways, I'd think Denver's current model would be one to look to. Brady is clearly in a better place than Manning, but a strong running game makes everything so much easier. Of course that would require McDaniels to deviate from his preferred playcalling...

• Advertisement

A strong running game improves your passing game hugely though by opening up so many more possibilities and play actions! I think it is something to look at certainly, but it will require very big improvements in that O line, it would keep the D's honest and they wouldn't always be able to pin the ears back and just charge for Brady if there was a genuine running threat in the backfield.

That said I think dink and dunk will still be the main game plan of the offence next year unless I see something unusual in the draft/FA, but yet again that makes the O line the most crucial part to sort out

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

A strong running game improves your passing game hugely though by opening up so many more possibilities and play actions! I think it is something to look at certainly, but it will require very big improvements in that O line, it would keep the D's honest and they wouldn't always be able to pin the ears back and just charge for Brady if there was a genuine running threat in the backfield.

That said I think dink and dunk will still be the main game plan of the offence next year unless I see something unusual in the draft/FA, but yet again that makes the O line the most crucial part to sort out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

In talks to bring Scar back as OL coach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

To be honest. Id like two impactfull veteran o line brought in. Im talking 5mil a season guys. First two picks in the draft going to the oline.

Can you imagine lewis behind an good oline. One of those aggresive lines that are pancaking lbs.

No point having a target in the later rounds. Take the best player avalible. You'll find more use then taking a sub optimal player and trying to mould them.

An elite oline. Gives an elite qb pocket time. Gives a very good wr and te group time to get open. Creates room for lewis and lets blount build up that heas of steam.

Lets the defense play more game mangment. Forces the the opposing offense to make plays, which can mean mistakes.

That first rounder being taken off us (with no fight) is really grating with me more and more each day of the off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

paulie21 wrote: »
    In talks to bring Scar back as OL coach
    Looks like he is on the way back. Both sides have said they'd like the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I actually think we will find good solid FA to keep us going for a season. And with Scar back we should be fine hopefully. Or hopefully he can work his magic and give the current set of guys a good kick up the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I know it's Tackles we need more than anything else but I see Jahri Evans has been released. Could be an option, though I'd be interested to hear what lifelong Saints fan and boards user Putin has to say about his performances the past couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

It would be great to have Scar back, but can't help wondering how things would have gone if he came back last September? Might have at least got home field advantage for the playoffs, if not gone all the way.

If Scar does come back they better get his succession right the next time he retires. And if they do recruit from outside, hopefully they won't bring in someone from a predominantly run based offense they way they did with the last guy. My only concern about Scar coming back is the likes of Cannon, the guy is useless and has to go, but Scar recruited him and he might think he can cure him.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not sure we'll have to worry about that. I don't know why Scar has decided to come out of retirement but for a lot of folks it's a case that retirement is not all it's cracked up to be. A lot of people will tell you they miss the excitement of the everyday working life.

I'll be happy if Scar stays until he's pushing up daisies. But I will be praying he at least gets rid of that basket case Cannon. I don't know about the rest of ye, but I prefer Andrews at Center over Stork. Line play seemed to deteriorate when Andrews lost his solid starting role there. Stork also seems to be worryingly prone to concussions, so solidifying Andrews in the role seems a better move for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Mayo retiring

Guess it's a more pleasant ending than him being cut by the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

How does that effect the cap? Probably best for him. Body couldnt handle it after two very serious injuries. Smart choice. Have to say he went out at his best. Before his injuries he was one of the top lb in the nfl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭me89

empacher wrote: »
    How does that effect the cap? Probably best for him. Body couldnt handle it after two very serious injuries. Smart choice. Have to say he went out at his best. Before his injuries he was one of the top lb in the nfl.

Saves about 7 million in cap space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

It's as good a result as we could hope for really.

I liked Mayo a lot, but he was too much money this year vs his ability to produce due to injuries.
    I was expecting a cut tbh, but at least this way he retires he stayed a Patriot to the end.

Sad news but we all knew that Mayo was unlikely to be coming back. And ignoring the obvious financial aspect, I think his Patella Tendon tear was the nail in the coffin for him, because you really couldn't ask for a worse injury to try and come back from. With the last three seasons ending on IR, I think that made up his mind to hang up the cleats.

But I'm glad that he's retiring as a Patriot, because there was really was no better leader on and off the field. He was a great role model to all in the locker room and took a lot of young bucks under his wing. A tackling machine in his prime, outside of Patriot fans, he never really got the wider NFL recognition he truly deserved.

He's one of the special Patriot players down the years, that I'll always raise a glass to for their service & dedication to the cause....

m5Eoz0t.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he slotted in as a LB coach with the team. Be a great way to utilise his knowledge and be something of a golden handshake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he slotted in as a LB coach with the team. Be a great way to utilise his knowledge and be something of a golden handshake.

Would be great to have him come back in a coaching role. But from what I read, I get the impression he's going to be pursuing some of his business ventures in the immediate future.

Advertisement