Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Billions? The Night Manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I was disappointed to see locatetv.com is closing

http://www.locatetv.com/blog/locatetv-closing/

I found it's personalised schedule handy, you could set alerts for programmes, films, actors etc and whenever they were on air the details would appear on your calendar.

Anyone know of any alternatives? Would digiguide do something similar?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LaVail wrote: »
    Is it me or are there few shows really worth watching this year?

I seem to have F all to watch with the exception of Better Call Saul, Baskets, 11.22.63

Not really finding Happy Valley as good as last season's either.

Have been bingeing on the Sopranos/Wire/Breaking Bad just to get by (Highly recommend watching the sopranos again if you've not seen it in a while. I had forgotten how good it really was)

Anything else I'm missing out on here?

Vinyl, Billions, Girls, Fresh Meat, Togetherness on Monday.
    Better Call Saul, Midmorning Matters on Tuesday
    New Girl and Brooklyn 99 on Wednesday
    Sunny in Philadelphia, Suits on Thursday
    Vikings, Elementary, Baskets, workaholics on Friday
    Animals on Saturday
    Night Manager on Sunday

Love, Master of None, House of Cards on Netflix.

Horace and Pete

Some are habit watches but there's enough half decent stuff to fill the time

Skid X wrote: »
    I was disappointed to see locatetv.com is closing

http://www.locatetv.com/blog/locatetv-closing/

I found it's personalised schedule handy, you could set alerts for programmes, films, actors etc and whenever they were on air the details would appear on your calendar.

Anyone know of any alternatives? Would digiguide do something similar?

Much more simplistic than locatetv, but I use http://myepisodes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Mr E wrote: »
    Billions? The Night Manager?
    Vinyl, Billions, Girls, Fresh Meat, Togetherness on Monday.
    Better Call Saul, Midmorning Matters on Tuesday
    New Girl and Brooklyn 99 on Wednesday
    Sunny in Philadelphia, Suits on Thursday
    Vikings, Elementary, Baskets, workaholics on Friday
    Animals on Saturday
    Night Manager on Sunday

Love, Master of None, House of Cards on Netflix.

Horace and Pete

Some are habit watches but there's enough half decent stuff to fill the time

Some great suggestions in there, ta lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mr E wrote: »
    Much more simplistic than locatetv, but I use http://myepisodes.com

I've been using myepisodes.com for awhile and quite like it - the calendar is very clear and handy, even if show and episode information is pretty much non-existant. I used to use tvrage.com for years, but it shut down last year, and then re-launched a few weeks ago, by which stage I was used to myepisodes and preferred the layout of it.

Yeah I think I've been using myepisodes for at least 6 or 7 years now.

I use https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat

And Series Guide android app.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't follow any specific sites. GEOS is what I first stumbled on back in the 90s. http://www.geos.tv/

An interesting show started on SyFy in the States last night called "The Internet Ruined My Life". It's about innocent tweets or posts that spiraled out of control and pretty much ruined peoples' lives.

The first one last night was an asian-american woman who got offended by a piece of Stephen Colbert's satire (admittedly close to the bone) and got #cancelcolbert trending. She did an interview on TV the next day and ended up insulting "white people". Yeah, that didn't end well.

The second one was a guy who tweeted something along the lines of digging Marilyn Monroe's body up, and "destroying america" a few weeks before travelling, and was arrested by Homeland Security when he landed.

Worth a watch. I wonder if any ex-boardsies can make this claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There was a woman who tweeted something along the lines of 'Going to Africa, hope I don't get AIDS, lol' before she boarded a plane. She woke up to quite a reaction.

ETA, story below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

With the CW having just renewed it's entire prime-time schedule for next season, gained in viewers over the past few years while the other non-cable networks have lost viewers, and having a number of shows with very loyal fan following, has people's opinions of The CW network changed?

It used to be known as the network that only showed dramas that appealed to teenage girls (with the exception of Supernatural and Smallville which were carried over from when The WB became The CW), but they've really gone a different direction in recent years, and personally I think the quality of programming on The CW is superior to the Big Four networks. Once a network that was never taken seriously, it's now sneaking up on it's competitors and going from strength to strength.

Thoughts?

Supernatural's the only CW show I watch, don't know how about their brand.

Catching up on Better Call Saul season 2. Still have to finish The Leftovers s1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's probably the network I watch shows from the most. The 100, Supernatural, iZombie, Arrow, The Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Not forgetting they also used to show the excellent Nikita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't know or care which network, or whatever, any American show is on tbh.

Unless it's HBO, I'll usually give a HBO show a bigger chance than anything else.

I don't think I've ever watched a CW show. None of the above titles sound remotely interesting to me.

I'd probably watch mostly HBO, FX and Showtime though I don't make a conscious effort to look out for the channel name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

I've no idea where most shows I watch start, they usually have WPZN7 or TFG6 or whatever local affiliate. Often Canada actually.

Uploaders names are more familiar to me than network names.

Baskets was fantastic this week. Is anyone watching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone know of any sites with official What if... scenarios?

Like a show creator saying how a series was meant to end if it hadn't been cancelled. Or what direction it was meant to go if an actor hadn't quit or been fired?

• Advertisement

Maureen Ryan's current pinned tweet says Jane the Virgin is as good as Breaking Bad and we need comedy as much as drama now. It's been added to Netflix. Might check it out.

Apart from Supernatural, NCIS, Better Call Saul and The Americans my viewing plate is pretty empty at the moment.

Baskets season finale tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I just saw that Garry Shandling died :(

Loved the Larry Sanders Show when it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyony watching Centenary on RTE 1? What do you make of it so far?
    Me I have to say the singers are really good. Seems like their is a story to it too a sad one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Island Season 3 started on C4 tonight,it's actually pretty decent.2 teams dropped off on a Pacific Island for a week and see how they survive.By the second morning one had quit and another was stung by a scorpion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jesus, this Centenary programme has turned into Eurovision! What an awful song!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree the songs they had at the end were dreadful but there was some really good singing in the programme too. The story was simple but decent. Tells the story of Ireland basically.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Has boards just magically changed : o

Has boards just magically changed : o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Well the random double posts are there, so it hasn't changed that much.

Advertisement