Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CM Punk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

mikey13 wrote: »
    He's gotta be pretty p*seed its not been a good week for WWE and its only Wednesday lol
    That's a good thing, make him fcuking wake up and see how much of a state the company is in. And the really funny thing is that it doesn't have to be. The roster is one of the most diverse wrestling-wise it has ever been. Sure, some of the mic work isn't great but the in-ring talent for the most part are pretty damn good! All it needs is for Creative (namely Vince, I am starting to blame him more and more every week that goes by) to actual use the talent they have effectively! That means not having the US title undefended for months on end, that includes not booking your undercard champions (that includes Divas) to lose most of the fcuking time, that includes having some of your bigger name stars losing to guys who re upper-mid card. Like it's not as if it's the talents fault, it's the company's fault

But then when you speak out about it you get fcuking buried to the hilt and next thing you know you're jobbing most of the bloody time. Case in point Miz vs Ziggler. Had those two been booked well it actually would have been a match to look forward to, but who cares about two stars who lose most of the time fighting each other "Oh look, at least one of them will get a win" that was my reaction.

So fair play to Punk, he's perfectly right. And as much as I would hate to see him leave if he went to any other promotion he would be the top dog straight away, while still sharing the limelight with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

The main problem ATM is overcrowding and repetative TV. WWE needs to bring back the draft and two world titles, stop this RAW supershow crap it devalues smack down. Its needs to go back to 2 shows with a good balance instead of repeating raw on smackdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I would eat gimmick's tie if he left WWE and worked for Jarrtet. Nae happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    That's a good thing, make him fcuking wake up and see how much of a state the company is in. And the really funny thing is that it doesn't have to be. The roster is one of the most diverse wrestling-wise it has ever been. Sure, some of the mic work isn't great but the in-ring talent for the most part are pretty damn good! All it needs is for Creative (namely Vince, I am starting to blame him more and more every week that goes by) to actual use the talent they have effectively! That means not having the US title undefended for months on end, that includes not booking your undercard champions (that includes Divas) to lose most of the fcuking time, that includes having some of your bigger name stars losing to guys who re upper-mid card. Like it's not as if it's the talents fault, it's the company's fault

But then when you speak out about it you get fcuking buried to the hilt and next thing you know you're jobbing most of the bloody time. Case in point Miz vs Ziggler. Had those two been booked well it actually would have been a match to look forward to, but who cares about two stars who lose most of the time fighting each other "Oh look, at least one of them will get a win" that was my reaction.

So fair play to Punk, he's perfectly right. And as much as I would hate to see him leave if he went to any other promotion he would be the top dog straight away, while still sharing the limelight with others.

totally agree, then saying certain talent can't draw, when they're not given a bloody chance to, or pushed for a few weeks then forgotten about the next. Miz headlined a Wrestlemania ffs and Ziggler was as hot as you can be last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mikey13 wrote: »
    The main problem ATM is overcrowding and repetative TV. WWE needs to bring back the draft and two world titles, stop this RAW supershow crap it devalues smack down. Its needs to go back to 2 shows with a good balance instead of repeating raw on smackdown.

It's been only a month since they unified the title, give over outta that!

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's been only a month since they unified the title, give over outta that!

Im not saying it won't work in the short term but long term I think they've shot themselves in the foot.. Punk,Bryan,Batista,Orton,Sheamus,Cena,Alberto.. Fighting over one title won't work and it leaves no room for people like Ziggler, Cody or other midcarders having a title push

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

rovert wrote: »

Its been spreading across sites all morning but they all say the same thing.. still being advertised for Elimination Chamber but no other dates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

If this is the case there wi be deafening Cm Punk chants and they can't ignore it. Hopefully it gets resolved. I was thinking to myself what would someone like punk think of then Batista signing and it looks like (although we're only speculating here) that we have out answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

is this not all very workish?

Batista comes back, wins the Rumble, gets the main event slot for Mania.

Wasn't this the basis of Punks initial "pipe bomb" promo, only it was directed at Dwaaaaayne and Cena.

So nothing has changed, if anything its worse, as Batista is at best a B level main eventer. Workhorses like Punk and Danielson being held down and we are fed feuds we do not want to see. Like, does ANYONE want to see Orton Vs Batista? Anyone at all?

So, as someone else has mentioned, it leads to a returning promo about the glass ceiling again positioning Punk and Bryan strongly going into Mania.

I was going to start a thread actually called "are we being super worked at the moment" regarding the whole Bryan situation. Vince is a lot of things but he aint deaf. Surely the way he is handling Bryan is almost genius if the payoff comes at Mania?

• Advertisement

If its not a work and punk is gone and the Bryan payoff doesn't come its only a matter of time before he leaves aswell.. They certainly playin a risky game with the fans patience

gimmick wrote: »
    is this not all very workish?

Batista comes back, wins the Rumble, gets the main event slot for Mania.

Wasn't this the basis of Punks initial "pipe bomb" promo, only it was directed at Dwaaaaayne and Cena.

So nothing has changed, if anything its worse, as Batista is at best a B level main eventer. Workhorses like Punk and Danielson being held down and we are fed feuds we do not want to see. Like, does ANYONE want to see Orton Vs Batista? Anyone at all?

So, as someone else has mentioned, it leads to a returning promo about the glass ceiling again positioning Punk and Bryan strongly going into Mania.

I was going to start a thread actually called "are we being super worked at the moment" regarding the whole Bryan situation. Vince is a lot of things but he aint deaf. Surely the way he is handling Bryan is almost genius if the payoff comes at Mania?

Orton v Batista will be funny in a Brock/Goldberg kinda way, fans will boo them out of the building if Bryan isn't included in the match.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think you are giving Vince and the booking team WAY TOO MUCH credit with the booking of Bryan, IF and it's a BIG IF Bryan's payoff does come at WM you can thank the fans for that not the booking team.

They had no intention of having Bryan near that position a few weeks ago and they were too busy with entertaining the likes of Lesnar and Batista who are on the big money short term contracts.

Also on the flip side if Bryan is positioned in an opening/mid-card match at WMXXX, what will your opinions of Vince be then?

Loughc wrote: »
    I think you are giving Vince and the booking team WAY TOO MUCH credit with the booking of Bryan, IF and it's a BIG IF Bryan's payoff does come at WM you can thank the fans for that not the booking team.

They had no intention of having Bryan near that position a few weeks ago and they were too busy with entertaining the likes of Lesnar and Batista who are on the big money short term contracts.

Also on the flip side if Bryan is positioned in an opening/mid-card match at WMXXX, what will your opinions of Vince be then?

Hard to say. I will be disappointed.

But this stems from watching the Rumble the other day, the wife chimes in and says "so Batista is the bad guy I assume?" and asked what all the booing was about. I showed her the end of the cage match with Bryan and Wyatt and I told her the fans love this guy but the company apparently don't. Even while saying that I felt like a total mark. That they had fooled me. She asked why the company wont get behind him and I said that its because the WWE didn't make him and because he doesn't have their stereotype of a marketable look. And agin, I somehow felt while I was talking that I was being worked.

Then with Raw, Bryan opens it with StepHHH and his music plays out the close of the show. Hardly the definition of someone who is being held back. Quite the opposite in fact.

I don't know, I really don't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Then with Raw, Bryan opens it with StepHHH and his music plays out the close of the show. Hardly the definition of someone who is being held back. Quite the opposite in fact.

The start of Raw was the WWE's ackowledgement of the Rumble fans voicing their opinions. And even the end left a bitter taste in my mouth, celebrating a DQ win, just give them the clean win FFS.

They are showcasing Bryan alot and he has great exposure for sure, but he should be Main Eventing PPVs not Raws. That's the problem with his booking at the moment.

It's all well and good them going look he's the focus of our entire flagship show and then come PPV he's the opening match. Something isn't adding up here at all. I really hope it's not blind stubborness by Vinny Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wasn't Raw rewritten with a few hours to go though? I'd assume (leaving aside the CM Punk issue) it was based on fans reactions to the Rumble, as opposed to those reactions being part of their plan.

Let's face it, if this was their plan, they would have done it two years ago with Punk instead. Everyone expected the big payoff but it never happened. Even as champion he was pushed back to make way for Rock V Cena, just like Bryan is being pushed back for Orton V Batista. They probably think Bryan V HHH will now satisfy people enough and give Bryan a big win, but WWE see Batista as being the headlining star, and Bryan as being a fan favourite. For the 30th Wrestlemania, they want the biggest names on the top. Bryan simply isn't a big enough name that non-wrestling fans might know which could help sell WM buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wasn't Raw rewritten with a few hours to go though? I'd assume (leaving aside the CM Punk issue) it was based on fans reactions to the Rumble, as opposed to those reactions being part of their plan.

Let's face it, if this was their plan, they would have done it two years ago with Punk instead. Everyone expected the big payoff but it never happened. Even as champion he was pushed back to make way for Rock V Cena, just like Bryan is being pushed back for Orton V Batista. They probably think Bryan V HHH will now satisfy people enough and give Bryan a big win, but WWE see Batista as being the headlining star, and Bryan as being a fan favourite. For the 30th Wrestlemania, they want the biggest names on the top. Bryan simply isn't a big enough name that non-wrestling fans might know which could help sell WM buys.

Yep 100% agree with all this.

Although I'd worry they'd have HHH win at WM and for Bryan to get his win back at Summerslam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Picture of CM Punk and Triple H on Sunday:

roy-keane-saipan-p_1389801i.jpg

Loughc wrote: »
    The start of Raw was the WWE's ackowledgement of the Rumble fans voicing their opinions. And even the end left a bitter taste in my mouth, celebrating a DQ win, just give them the clean win FFS.

They are showcasing Bryan alot and he has great exposure for sure, but he should be Main Eventing PPVs not Raws. That's the problem with his booking at the moment.

It's all well and good them going look he's the focus of our entire flagship show and then come PPV he's the opening match. Something isn't adding up here at all. I really hope it's not blind stubborness by Vinny Mac.

It's bizarre booking tbh, Bryan comes out to massive pops, people are chanting his name throughout other matches, his chant is even making it to other sports.
    Yet they have him midcarding ppvs and being bumped in favour of over the hill former stars. It's like he's good enough for tv but not those precious ppv buyrates. It'd be like having Austin circa 1998 raising hell on raw then opening a ppv with Mideon or something.

• Advertisement

Ill take the blame here, but back on topic of CM punk please gents.

The story being picked up by major news outlets in US and UK.. Mega work? One way to build interest or one way to get unwanted publicity..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I tip my hat to CM Punk for taking his ball and going home, he obviously needs to time to plan his next step, renew his WWE contract or jump ship altogether, and get whatever injuries he has healed

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I tip my hat to CM Punk for taking his ball and going home, he obviously needs to time to plan his next step, renew his WWE contract or jump ship altogether, and get whatever injuries he has healed

Fair play to him I say, all the whinging (even when he's right to) in the world won't send a message like walking out will. (If it's not all a work)

krudler wrote: »
    Fair play to him I say, all the whinging (even when he's right to) in the world won't send a message like walking out will. (If it's not all a work)

I somehow don't think Punk walking out is a walk, i think it could be genuine unhappiness

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

obviously this is not a work. The situation with Bryan is obviously not a work either, they dont want him with the title and are trying their best to keep the crowd quiet.

Punk will probably be back in a year for big money pay off but unfortunately he'll never be coming back and winning the royal rumble like Batista as he's just not seen as a big draw really (didnt' even main event WM while champion)

I think everything should be taken with a pinch of salt until some sort of official statement is issued, the fact the story is spreading so rapidly should force WWE or Punk to release more information

Keep an eye on CM Punk's Twitter,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Keep an eye on CM Punk's Twitter,

Yeah, you would imagine Punk is the very one who won't be afraid to comment publically...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd probably be in the minority in thinking Punk is being a bit of an unprofessional douche. The WWE owe him nothing. They gave him a WWE title reign which is one of the most impressive (how long was it) in the modern era. Comparable to the crap Bryan has dealt with in his tenure Punk has had it quite easy.

Yeah headlining WM is a dream but like everything it's all about timing. HHH/Punk would be nice but HHH/Bryan at the mo is perfect.

It must be killer for the ever presents to have the part timers becoming more frequent but it's a case of tough luck.

Advertisement