Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Such a bummer about Paul Walker. I always thought he got a lot of crap for being 'the Nickelback of acting', but I looked forward to catching his new film Hours and have yet to catch Fast 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Thanks, as half of that went over my head until i heard his name, now when i think of it the driver too got killed?

Yeah, both of them died sadly.

A couple of horrible pictures of the car wreck here. Nothing graphic, but not nice either.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25173331

• Registered Users Posts: 84,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Paul Walker was killed in a car accident this evening. Oddly enough but earlier this week there was a hoax going around that he had died in a car crash.

RIP - Besides F&F series, loved him in Running Scared

Tom Laughlin whose best known for the Billy Jack series passed away on Thursday. He was one of the main figures in changing film distribution and the modern releasing model is pretty one he envisioned and began

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Oscar-winning actress Joan Fontaine has died, aged 96:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25395231

A great shame. Rebecca remains one of my favourite Hitchcock films.

RIP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Always wondered whether it'd be her or her sister (Olivia de Haviland for those who don't know) who would kick it first. I'd say the sister won't be long after.`

quickbeam wrote: »
    Always wondered whether it'd be her or her sister (Olivia de Haviland for those who don't know) who would kick it first. I'd say the sister won't be long after.`

Olivia de Havilland is still alive :eek:

RIP Joan Fontaine and Peter O'Toole

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,182 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

quickbeam wrote: »

RIP Joan

Wow I didn't know they were sisters and just had a look and found this.. They fell out in 1942 when Joan won the Oscar over Olivia who was also nominated, It remained unresolved till Joan died. How sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

RIP Ned Vizzini, committed suicide on the 19th.

Not exactly involved in film as am author, but he wrote the book "Its Kind of a Funny Story" which was inspired by one of his experiences of depression as a teen, later adapted into quite a good film.

RIP James Avery aka Uncle Phil from TFPOBA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP James Avery aka Uncle Phil from TFPOBA

Yeah, just heard about it here, RIP James Avery &
    Phyllis Diller also died at age 95

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yeah, just heard about it here, RIP James Avery &
    Phyllis Diller also died at age 95
    Phyllis Diller died in August 2012... Had she something to do with James Avery?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

That's what I thought! I was wondering if I was experiencing deja vu.

You know, i didnt even look at the date, i saw the link at the side of the site & remembered her from something a good while ago, maybe she had some link with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Producer of 'superior' films Saul Zaentz has died at 92 - One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest was his most famous film (for which he picked up his first of three Best Picture Academy Awards) other releases include Amadeus, The English Patient, The Unbearable Lightness of Being and the original Ralph Bakshi The Lord of the Rings He also owned a music label - Fantasy which signed Creedence Clearwater Revival who's songwriter John Fogarty had a famous falling out with Zaentz resulting in Zanz Kant Danz which resulted in a court case.

Sir Run Run Shaw the godfather of Hong Kong cinema has died at the grand old age of 106, his list of credits is probably the longest in film. His company released the first Kung Fu film to reach the west - Five Fingers of Death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Run_Shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wow, that's some life he lead. For some reason I always thought the Shaw Brothers were Irish American.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's a slightly creepy coincidence, I was just watching Yôkihi last night (his first producer credit on IMDB), and an extra feature had Tony Rayns giving a breakdown of the complex history behind the various Shaw production companies. First time I had heard the name Run Run Shaw in quite a while! Some filmography though, and 106 is a serious run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Imagine his 50th birthday happened a decade before the moon landings!

He was old for most of his life :P

That is a serious innings.... he and his brother apparently buried 2 million worth of their own gold and jewelry during WW2 to make sure they did well in the aftermath :D

Alexandra Bastedo has died at just 67, she was best known for her two biggest small screen roles (the Champions (1967-68) and Eastenders (2008–2009) but she was the very essence of a genre fantasy babe on the big screen with roles in A Promise of Bed, The Blood Spattered Bride, Tu dios y mi infierno, El Clan de los Nazarenos

alexandra_bastedo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,182 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Roger Lloyd-Pack passed away today. RIP.

He played one of the greatest tv characters of all time in Trigger from only fools and horses

He played one of the greatest tv characters of all time in Trigger from only fools and horses

Couldnt believe it when i saw it on the news, he'll be sadly missed even with the OFAH sketch coming up soon.

My Name is Rodney!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylgV8OyTIFg

Gandhi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O8SgaDOock

Trigger in the Dark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Q0AEwBVYs

Couldnt find a decent link on where he got an award for the same council brush for 16yrs :D

RIP 'Trigger' gone now to the big council depot in the sky!

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

A sad loss.
    RIP "Trigg". Thanks for the many laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Oscar winning actor Maximillian Schell has died, aged 83.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/movies/maximilian-schell-oscar-winning-actor-dies-at-83.html

He won the Oscar, in only his second role, as Defence Attorney for the Nazi's on trial in Judgement at Nuremburg and was nominated twice more during his career.

Great actor, may he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I've started a thread abut him as I think he was such a brilliant and famous actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just reading that Philip seymour hoffman has been found dead at his NY apartment, a shockong loss.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26009575

Advertisement