Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HD Media Player - €82.50 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasonhn

Seems good, anyone got any experience with mede8er?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

My Dad has the MED500x

Its great, we havent come across any file it doesnt play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Its the same as the 500 model without a harddrive. Been looking out for something portable like this for use in different rooms in the house, I currently use the PS3

Theres 6% cashback with Fatcheese aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Just wondering if you could access you tube on this ? or other streamed sites

Thanks guys, I think I will be ordering it. Also thanks for the fatcheese tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just ordered 2 of these via the Fatcheese link. Thanks OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

can you load movies onto this and play on a tv?

sorry, I'm not too tech savy

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Del007 wrote: »
    can you load movies onto this and play on a tv?

sorry, I'm not too tech savy

You'd need another device in the form of an external HDD or usb stick to play the movies from, if your looking for one with storage built in your looking for a Media Hard Drive. Pixmania seems to have reasonable prices on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

http://www.sumvisioncyclone.com/sumvision-cyclone-micro-2-multi-media-mkv-player-adaptor/

Would the linked product above not be the same? It's only £36 on amazon.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    http://www.sumvisioncyclone.com/sumvision-cyclone-micro-2-multi-media-mkv-player-adaptor/

No network port on that. Also not sure would it play all formats. Good value thou.

• Advertisement

If people want Wi Fi a dongle with Realtek 8191su is supposed to work

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=319.0

a search on ebay for RTL8191SU yields a lowest price of 8 euro delivered from taiwan for a dongle with that chipset. Ive ordered one so hopefully it works

Qwerty? wrote: »
    No network port on that. Also not sure would it play all formats. Good value thou.

According to the amazon reviews it plays pretty much everything, the older version didn't play MKV's. it costs £16 odd. I ordered it the other day, so I can report back afterwards.

What benefits would a network port bring?

According to the amazon reviews it plays pretty much everything, the older version didn't play MKV's. it costs £16 odd. I ordered it the other day, so I can report back afterwards.

What benefits would a network port bring?

I have a NAS with all my movies/photos/music on it. My PS3 accesses these currently. I'll use the Mede8er instead so need a network port. I will be able to use it with any TV in the house as I have wired Network points at each TV. It also allows you to download MediaInfo online and I think access youtube and internet Radio.

To be honest what you have ordered is perfect if your movies are on an external Harddrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I'll just throw this in, which I think is a good deal if you do not want network access, and do not already have an external drive (or maybe want a tidier integrated solution).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WE8RW4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciapen

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

For anyone who missed this deal:

This Patriot Box Office is about €80 shipped from Amazon.co.uk. It has the same chipset as the one in the OP. I believe the player that shows up in ALDI for €89 now and then has the chipset too

Excellent little player. I have it networked so I can access all the content of my PC in the attic. It has an internal connection for a 2.5" SATA hard disk too, but I'm not using that. I can confirm it plays everything (incl. high definition) that I've thrown at it. You can also use it as a bittorrent client :D

Good support from Patriot with frequent firmware updates, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Any media players that support ALL mkv files? No stuttering for any of them? I'm hard pushed finding one that doesn't have that problem based on reading around on google.

The Patriot takes all MKV files I've thrown at it. No stuttering, even on 1080P 14 gigabyte movies :D

unkel wrote: »
    The Patriot takes all MKV files I've thrown at it. No stuttering, even on 1080P 14 gigabyte movies :D

I've read some comments that it stutters with some mkv files for whatever reason :( don't wanna buy something then find out half the films I have won't play on it!! The mkv's that i've downloaded are fairly small size but high frame rate which causes problems afaik

Any linkies? I did a fair amount of research before I bought the Parrot and I've never seen any mention of stuttering (when used with a wired ethernet connection)

• Advertisement

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/25336-patriot-box-office-vs-asus-o-play-head-2-head-3.html

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?2098-MKV-files-freeze-Box-Office

I've found similar comments for basically every media player I've looked up though. Maybe some of them are using wireless and the connection isn't good enough? I'm looking for something that I would connect my external HDD to via usb. I don't want to spend ~€100 on something that won't do the job properly though!! I can watch them on consoles atm but I have to convert them which is a bit of a pain in the ass. If I could download and just play through a media player it'd be handy out - like I said though I'm not sure if there's any media players that handle the mkvs I'd be using :( Not savvy enough with this stuff to know whether they would or not either!

I know for a fact the one posted in the OP wouldn't work though something to do with 23.97 something fps skipping every 41 seconds or so. Means the audio/video goes out of sync after a while with files using that fps ;(

jive wrote: »
    I'm looking for something that I would connect my external HDD to via usb.

That really shouldn't be a problem as long as your HDD can handle the transfer rates (should be faster than 100Mb ethernet on a 20m cable as I'm using.

Those links you posted are quite old, Patriot has put in several major new firmware releases in 2011 alone!

Just a quick update on the above linked sumvision cyclone media player - i was very happy with the first one I bought, so left it with my mother. Since then, I've bought 2 more of them. They've played everything i've thrown at them, mkv files in the main. It's HD etc and is now retailing at about £31 on amazon.

Advertisement