Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning to speak Irish (Erse?)

• 21-02-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I wanted some years ago to learn to speak Irish and I bought a Linguaphone course. (Oddly it is not taught in UK :pac:)

But when I tried out the language on my then boss (A good old fashioned Irish lad) I found that pronounciation is way off, a long way off in fact.

I suspect my course may have been based on Scottish:mad:

Is there any other course that you would recommend?

The reason I am asking is my family is from Ireland and I wanted to do something in rememberence of those of my family that have passed away. I seriously doubt that I will ever find a lot of use for it as where I live there is no call to speak the language, it is simply something I always wanted to do. I am not sure an elderly man like myself will ever be much good at the language.

And for those of you who can speak it fluently can you possibly correct the following phrase I made up from my meagre knowledge?

"Leath eirennach, leath sassenach es ar me."

It is meant to say "I am part Irish and part English."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Boards.ie has a language forum - and an Irish language sub-forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Might be a good place to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It could be based on Ulster Irish. I found pimsleur to be good for French, but there's only 10 lessons in Irish so you won't get much more than an introduction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Pronunciations would be different enoguh between Connacht, Donegal and Munster Irish to make it sound odd, the course wasn't necessarily wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

Haven't spoken it in years, but I would have thought it would be
    "Leath eireannach, leath sassenach is ea me."
    (though pronunciation would be similar)
    or else
    "Táim Leath eireannach agus leath sassenach"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thank you all very much for your advice and information, it is very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement