Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goggles4u 3-day offer

• 05-05-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

promotionUK.jpg

Deal 1
    To avail this offer, place order by selecting frames costing £ 4.99 with 1.56 Lenses without coating. You must buy two pairs to make a total of £ 9.98 which is minimum order value. To view frames costing visit our website www.Goggles4u.co.uk and click on £4.99 Eyeglasses under Price Range section.
    Select frame costing £ 4.99 with 1.56 lenses without coating.
    Add to product in cart to make sure the total is £ 9.98
    Checkout with credit card or paypal
    For strong prescription, we may upcharge.
    For help contact our customer support team.

Deal 2
    Select any frame you like with any lens combination, and get 20% off for limited time of 72 hours.
    Use Coupon Code : G4uSale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nice one. Had been meaning to pick up an emergency backup set ever since I originally got two pairs off this crowd last year, on the back of recommendations here.

One plain pair ;4.99, one sunglass-tinted ;14.99, 20% off the top (even though the total was only £19.98) and that's two pairs of glasses delivered for a shade under €20... :cool:
    37602.jpg
    Should have gone to specsavers, my orse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

How do ya get the measurements and stuff for this? You guys just doing it yourselves or are they like standard sizes?

See here. Initially I just measured the relevant bits of my old glasses carefully and then searched their range for similar dimensions. The virtual online try-them-on thingy is pretty good, although it's obviously not quite the same as trying on a pair in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

How about the actual eye measurements? Does it mean I'd have to get a new eye test done?
    I don't seem to remember getting anything about eye measurements, etc, with the glasses I got from Specsavers last time.
    Any recommendations anyone?

Whoever last tested your vision should be able to give you a written copy of your prescription, which you enter (and can store) in your account. It's explained at that link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Moon54 wrote: »
    How about the actual eye measurements? Does it mean I'd have to get a new eye test done?
    I don't seem to remember getting anything about eye measurements, etc, with the glasses I got from Specsavers last time.
    Any recommendations anyone?

They're not legally required to put your pupillary distance on the prescription for some reason. But they'll give it to you if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Ah, i see. Thanks for the tip about pupillary distance. Cheers.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The coupon code is still valid in case anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Maybe I need glasses but I can't see Ireland, Eire, Republic of Ireland or Southern Ireland listed in the registration form??

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

They're not legally required to put your pupillary distance on the prescription for some reason. But they'll give it to you if you ask.

I called Specsavers, who said they would post out my prescription, but I would have to come in & pay a charge for the pupillary distance details.

Has anyone any experience of this ?

PS I believe a Data Protection data request charge cannot exceed Eur6.35 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

banchang wrote: »
    I called Specsavers, who said they would post out my prescription, but I would have to come in & pay a charge for the pupillary distance details.

Optician measured my pupil distance in the most low-tech way you could probably imagine. It involved a ruler across the bridge of my nose so you may be able to have a friend measure it for you. Searching online will give you more details - precise measurement may be more important for individuals requiring higher powered lenses.

Wikipedia - Pupillary Distance

It's not that difficult to do yourself. You're only going to be able to specify to the nearest millimetre, anyway (which is 0.5mm margin on each eye).

http://www.goggles4u.co.uk/pd.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

For the pupil distance get two people to seperately measure the pupil distance for you and then take the average of the two measurements.

Beyond that the main pitfall is getting your pluses and minuses mixed up when entering your prescription details.

If you are still worried order the cheapest frame as a trial run.

Advertisement