Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding invite

• 22-12-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

here's what i've come up with for a wedding invite, would appreciate any corrections / suggestions...

i've used "ceiliúradh ár bpósadh" for the church part and "ár mbainis" for the p1ss-up part - is that right?

go raibh maith agaibh...

Ba mhór linne,

Fred agus Wilma,

in éineacht lenár dtuismitheoirí,
    comhluadar

AINM AN DUINNE

ag ceiliúradh ár bpósadh i Séipéal Naomh Phádraig, Áth Bhriain, Co. an Dún ag 12.00 i.n. Dé Satharn 21ú Márta 2010 agus ina dhiaidh sin ag ár mbainis sa Bedrock Hotel, An Iúr, Co. an Dún.

RSVP etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

LinoRichie wrote: »
    here's what i've come up with for a wedding invite, would appreciate any corrections / suggestions...

i've used "ceiliúradh ár bpósadh" for the church part and "ár mbainis" for the p1ss-up part - is that right?

go raibh maith agaibh...

Ba mhór linne,

Fred agus Wilma,

comhluadar

AINM AN DUINNE

ag ceiliúradh ár bpósadh i Séipéal Naomh Phádraig, Áth Bhriain, Co. an Dún ag 12.00 i.n. Dé Satharn 21ú Márta 2010 agus ina dhiaidh sin ag ár mbainis sa Bedrock Hotel, An Iúr, Co. an Dún.

RSVP etc.

That looks about right. The one thing I'd correct at this stage would be "Séipéal Naomh Phádraig". There shouldn't be a "h" in Pádraig in that context.

The best way to say St. Patrick's Church in Irish would be "Séipéal Phádraig Naofa". Unless of course this church officially uses the translation you used, then who am I to argue?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

An Bradán Feasa is right; there should be no séimhiú on 'Pádraig' following 'Naomh', though there should be if you leave the word 'Naomh' out, as he/she has suggested.

You also have a few cases of tuiseal ginideach missing:

- Ceiliúradh ár bpósta (TG)
    - Contae an Dúin (TG)
    - Dé Sathairn (TG)

Foclóir Uí Dhónaill has 'bainis' as 'wedding' or 'wedding feast', so yes, it seems like a fine translation for 'wedding reception'.

Lastly, 'Newry' is 'An tIúr' in Irish (see here), unless you have a prepostion before it
    i.e. An tIúr, but, Tá cónaí orm san Iúr

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LinoRichie

thank you both for the prompt and helpful replies although you did send a shudder down my spine when you mentioned the tuiseal ginideach...

i've amended the "sa Bedrock Hotel" to "san Bedrock Hotel" as it's name does contain a "The"

so we're going with the following? :

Ba mhór linne,

Fred agus Wilma,

comhluadar

AINM AN DUINNE

ag ceiliúradh ár bpósta i Séipéal Phádraig Naofa, Áth Bhriain, Co. an Dúin ag 12.00 i.n. Dé Sathairn 21ú Márta 2010 agus ina dhiaidh sin ag ár mbainis san Bedrock Hotel, An tIúr, Co. an Dúin.

RSVP etc.

Hi LinoRichie.

The only difference between 'sa' and 'san' is whether or not the noun following it begins with a vowel or with 'f', i.e. sa bhád but san aer or san fhásach. The difference between them has nothing to do with the article, as they both mean 'in the (singular)'.

Also, there is only one n in the word duine i.e. ainm an duine.

ok, thanks for that, i thought sa + an = san but obviously not...

right, the latest draft is:

Ba mhór linne,

Fred agus Wilma,

comhluadar

AINM AN DUINE

ag ceiliúradh ár bpósta i Séipéal Phádraig Naofa, Áth Bhriain, Co. an Dúin ag 12.00 i.n. Dé Sathairn 21ú Márta 2010 agus ina dhiaidh sin ag ár mbainis sa Bedrock Hotel, An tIúr, Co. an Dúin.

RSVP etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

deas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I just can't believe the coincidence that a Fred and Wilma are getting married in Bedrock Hotel.

I'm also wondering whether or not it would be better to say Ba mhór againne instead of Ba mhór linne. What's the English?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Ba mhór linne is fine. When it's one person saying it it's ba mhór liom, not ba mhór agam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ba mhór linne in my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement

Ba mhór linne,

Fred agus Wilma,

comhluadar

AINM AN DUINE

ag ceiliúradh ár bpósta i Séipéal Phádraig Naofa, Áth Bhriain, Co. an Dúin ag 12.00 i.n. Dé Sathairn 21ú Márta 2010 agus ina dhiaidh sin ag ár mbainis sa Bedrock Hotel, An tIúr, Co. an Dúin.

RSVP etc.

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all your help. This is the wording I'm going for - have already sent it off tot he stationary crowd. If anyone spots any more mistakes, don't tell me cos it's too late, it's better I don't know! The vast majority of invitees won't understand a word of it anyway!

The vast majority of invitees won't understand a word of it anyway!

Jeez, hope they don't just chuck it in the bin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Badhbh

I just can't believe the coincidence that a Fred and Wilma are getting married in Bedrock Hotel.

I think names have been changed to protect identities of those going into the institution (of marrage) :)

Badhbh wrote: »
    I think names have been changed to protect identities of those going into the institution (of marrage) :)

Yeah, I know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Badhbh

Well I didn't really think you were serious. Me joke too.:pac:

Advertisement